• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've made a number of purchases from Primary Arms over the years and while I have never had an issue with the purchases that I've made I have had my debit card hacked on more than one occasion following my purchases. The most recent one happening about a week ago when I made an online purchase after not having made any purchases from them in quite some time.

I'm starting to think it may be more than just a coincidence.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Had that happen years ago when I made a purchase from Midway. It was the only place that card had ever been used. I didn't buy from them again for about a year. I guess they are constantly updating security as cybercrime just keeps evolving. Haven't had a problem with them since.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve been advised by my bank never to leave a credit card “on file” with a web retailer just to have the “convenience” of not having to input the card number every time you buy something. Why leave your credit card dangling in the wind on a website?

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I’ve been advised by my bank never to leave a credit card “on file” with a web retailer just to have the “convenience” of not having to input the card number every time you buy something. Why leave your credit card dangling in the wind on a website?

Good advice.

Not only that, if you are to lazy to type in a credit card number, how important is that purchase? Seriously.

I have not had a problem with Primary Arms, that said, all companies have employees. Some employees are more honest than others. On-line retailers have a responsibility for the best security if they want to remain as an on-line retailer.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Odds are these are security issues on your end, not there's. It's a pretty big deal when credit info gets breached from a major retailer.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've probably done a number somewhere close to the high 100's of transactions with PA and never had an issue. I have had my card hacked 3 times but never after a purchase from PA. The last one happened after a purchase from Akstuff.com and honestly I probably should have expected that one since his site is sold old and janky that I'm sure his security is as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have had my card hacked 3 times also. Each time it was a restaurant.

I wish I could do what I do for online purchases. My CC company has a tool that let's me generate a CC number when I do the transaction. It will then save it for me so I can use it again from that retailer. (I never save my card info with a retailer.)

Then I can either go in and delete it and generate a new one the next time or I can "turn it off" so it can't be used. Then when I'm ready to make another buy, I can "turn it back on".

I feel a little more comfortable with this system.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've never saved my card info for future online purchases. Don't get me wrong. I do like PA's selection and sales and I have made a number of previous purchases without incident. I just find it peculiar that the few times I've been hacked it's followed a PA purchase. I haven't made a purchase from them in quite some time and I'll be damned if I did'nt get hacked again after I made a recent purchase.

Maybe it's just bad luck.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As an IT security professional, I would chalk it up to bad luck.

You can never assume fraudulent transactions were stolen from the last place you used your card. Here’s how it works typically:

1. Website gets hacked and card numbers are stolen en masse.
    2. Hackers put the numbers up for sale on the dark web.
    3. Time passes. (Hours to months)
    4. bad actors buy the card number(s).
    5. Time passes (hours to weeks)
    6. They use that number to make purchases however. (Online, cloned physical cards, etc)

The only exception to that scenario that I would point fingers at a retailer, would be where an employee physically takes your card and leaves your sight to run the card. (Sit down restaurant.) in that scenario they write down your info and use it.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Take a look at http://www.privacy.com. It allows you to create a virtual cc for each vendor you use online. Features include 1 time use cards, different limits etc.

I consider it a firewall to my real debit card. Vendors never see your actual debit cc #.

Its free and you get rebates. I dont use my real debit for 99.9% anything online anymore.

For example, if my son needs a cc for a on-line purchase of something, with the app on my phone, I create a new virtual cc, screen cap and send it to him to use.

Disclosure- I have nothing to do with privacy.com just passing along this to :ingo: girls and guys...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Take a look at http://www.privacy.com. It allows you to create a virtual cc for each vendor you use online. Features include 1 time use cards, different limits etc.

I consider it a firewall to my real debit card. Vendors never see your actual debit cc #.

Its free and you get rebates. I dont use my real debit for 99.9% anything online anymore.

For example, if my son needs a cc for a on-line purchase of something, with the app on my phone, I create a new virtual cc, screen cap and send it to him to use.

Disclosure- I have nothing to do with privacy.com just passing along this to :ingo: girls and guys...

What is the typical cost to an individual? And thank you for the info.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

But still, since you gave the number to them, its still out there. So its not without risk.

Instead talk to your bank/CC company. Many of them also provide one time virtual card numbers for safely buying stuff online. That is the safest way because that way NOBODY ever has your real card # except the credit card company themselves.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What is the typical cost to an individual? And thank you for the info.

But still, since you gave the number to them, its still out there. So its not without risk.

Instead talk to your bank/CC company. Many of them also provide one time virtual card numbers for safely buying stuff online. That is the safest way because that way NOBODY ever has your real card # except the credit card company themselves.

See post #8.

Capital One has eno to provide this service.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have had my VISA Debit card hacked 2 or 3 times in the last 15 years. Each time the card company has caught it and it didn't cost me a dime.
    Last time I asked the person who called if it was due to me using the card online - she said no, it probably was picked up by scammers that hacked into a system that had hundreds of card numbers and then tried it out. I even made about four bucks last time as one of the try-out transactions was a deposit in London England, she said it would just be a credit to my account. The only downside is that they cancel the number and send me a new one - takes a few days to receive it, usually 4 or 5 days. During that time I just use my wife's card.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never use a debit card online. A debit card is a link to YOUR actual money.

Use a credit card.

THIS. And some banks put you on the hook for the first $50-100 of fraudulent charges. (per transaction :nailbite: :faint: )

When they hit your credit card, they erase the charges while investigating and only put them back a couple weeks later if they determine it wasnt fraud.
    When they hit your debit card, the bank sometimes doesnt put the money back until after they determine it WAS fraud.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have used a debit master card for online use for years and never have I had a problem.
    Now I do have a separate checking account for that card and I transfer what is needed for the purchase that I am doing at that time.
    The only time I use a CC is with Amazon Prime, I usually do one to three orders a week and entering the card each time is a pita.

Top Bottom