• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Their dealer agreement with Glock and Smith & Wesson PROHIBITS them from selling to the public. It's that simple. Both Glock and Smith & Wesson have LEO Only dealers. They sell product at a reduced price to LEO customers. It requires a Purchase Order on LEO letterhead at a minimum. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. If you want to buy a Glock or a Smith & Wesson pistol at the LEO price you can join your local law enforcement agency. It's not Jenkin's unwillingness to sell to the public it's a contractual agreement that they will not, or they stand to loose the franchise. Both companies have retail agreements with several shops around town and Jenkins is not allowed to pursue that portion of the market. I hope this clears up the issue. It is not a matter of trust or discrimination it's the rules set forth by the manufacturer of the firearms.
    I understand what you are saying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Their dealer agreement with Glock and Smith & Wesson PROHIBITS them from selling to the public. It's that simple. Both Glock and Smith & Wesson have LEO Only dealers. They sell product at a reduced price to LEO customers. It requires a Purchase Order on LEO letterhead at a minimum. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. If you want to buy a Glock or a Smith & Wesson pistol at the LEO price you can join your local law enforcement agency. It's not Jenkin's unwillingness to sell to the public it's a contractual agreement that they will not, or they stand to loose the franchise. Both companies have retail agreements with several shops around town and Jenkins is not allowed to pursue that portion of the market. I hope this clears up the issue. It is not a matter of trust or discrimination it's the rules set forth by the manufacturer of the firearms.

Perhaps I am missing something..... is there anything to prevent them from selling Glocks or SW at MSRP or going rates? As far as I understand it, this argument is not about trying to get a steal on a Glock, it is about their position to only sell to LEO.

At supply houses, etc, buyers get different pricing based on who they are. If you are the average Joe, and you stop at an electrical supply house, you pay full price. If you are a electrical contractor, you pay a reduced price. I know it is done for different reasons, but the point is to illustrate that businesses exist where the price is variable. It is entirely feasible that Jenkins could sell Glocks to LEO at LEO pricing, and could also sell Glocks to Joe Schmo at gun shop price. Is there something in their contractual agreement that prohibits this? Or is it that Jenkins wants to prevent turning into a "gun shop" where they have a wider range of customers?

While I agree with many who don't appreciate the "peasant" attitude, I can also wear Jenkin's shoes for a minute. How many times in a gun shop have you been outright scared by the idiots doing business there? Not to say those idiots couldn't be LEO, they easily could, I am just saying I understand that Jenkins may not want to go that route.

Do not get the misconception that I am defending their practice, merely saying there are at least two ways to look at it. Personally I think its horse ****.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

There was no confusion on this end. Ever. I understand your side. What the confusion seems to be is this. Jenkins has and FFL and could sell guns to anyone. Some of those other retail shops you refer to do the same thing. If Jenkins agreement is different it is because they agreed to it. If they agreed to it that says all I need to know. I will never buy anything from them that they would be willing to sell to me since I am not a LEO. BigCraig was making that same point long ago.

If you don't mind buying from them do it. It is a somewhat free country. But don't think I was confused. Perhaps we see it differently, or the confusion is not mine.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think it's interesting that they'll take your money (grudgingly, from the sound of it) for anything else, just not for firearms.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to sign a contract to be an a**hole that will require me to be an a**hole all the time. I'd like to be a nice guy, but I won't be able to be a nice guy since I signed a contract. Being an a**hole will be REQUIRED!

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    I just got off the phone with David, he is the Manager at SRJ, David stated that the LEO Dealer Agreement between Glock and Smith and Wesson prohibits sales to the public. Furthermore Both companies under the terms of the contract reserve the right to audit SRJ's books at any time to insure compliance with that stipulation. If either company were to find any sales they deem objectionable then they could pull the franchise from SRJ. He has read this thread now and is familiar with the issues. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I just got off the phone with David, he is the Manager at SRJ, David stated that the LEO Dealer Agreement between Glock and Smith and Wesson prohibits sales to the public. Furthermore Both companies under the terms of the contract reserve the right to audit SRJ's books at any time to insure compliance with that stipulation. If either company were to find any sales they deem objectionable then they could pull the franchise from SRJ. He has read this thread now and is familiar with the issues. Hope this clears things up a bit.

And since the "bread & butter" of their business is to sell to LEOs and police departments that would be a pretty stupid thing for a business-person to do, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the re-clarification!!! :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Or they could find a different supplier and sell to whomever they want, and tell S&W and Glock to go pound sand. Then it would sorta almost be like a free market economy.

I dont think anyone takes exception to them doing what they have to do to honor the terms of their agreement, but I think a lot of people take exception to them making the agreement they made. I also dont totally understand as any LEO can order factory direct straight from the manufacturer himself, provided he has a dept. letterhead.

They can run their business however they want, but if they expect this whole "our agreement says we cant" claim to suffice as a legit answer, they should expect to **** off some people and drive away some sales.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Or they could find a different supplier and sell to whomever they want, and tell S&W and Glock to go pound sand.

Wow..... yeah they could tell the number one and number two suppliers of law enforcement firearms that they are going to stop selling their stuff in order to sell a few guns here and there to civilians. :rolleyes:

Your not even making sense!!! They are in the business of selling to police departments!!!! :dunno:

Hey...... maybe they'll cancel their insurance and burn their building down!!!! Yeah... that's the ticket!!!! :lmfao::thumbsup::lmfao:

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    IMPD can purchase Glocks directly from Glock, no FFL needed.

Blue label boxed Glocks are the LEO special guns, night sights and a third mag all sold at a reduced price (IIRC). These can be bought and sold by any stocking Glock dealer.

Red label boxed Glocks are what you and I buy from our friendly FFL, you know the one that likes to make money and doesn't discriminate based on the purchasers profession.

If SRJ wants to cater to the LEO crowd, then the LEOs should be their only customers. Spend your money where you wish, I'll spend mine with companies that only care about the color of my money, not my chosen profession.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    They are the warranty center for Streamlight flashlights. I took mine there for a warranty claim. Got excellent service. Spent some time looking around and was asked several times if I needed help. Bought a holster.
    As to the gun sale issue, what's the big deal. Glock and S&W are available almost everywhere and the competition between all these shops keeps the prices down. If this dealer wants to target a specific market segment and part of that includes signing a special contract with gun suppliers, who cares. Go somewhere else for your Glock. You would probably find better price somewhere else anyway. I am just glad they had a holster I was looking for and handled my warranty claim quickly and politely.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am amazed by this thread. Mostly about who thinks who is confused. Thanks for the education. Everything is "Crystal" Clear now.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    What I meant was that they could tell S&W and Glock to go pound sand on the contract, then purchase from whatever distributor they wanted and not have to make their books available to anyone but the government.

Make sense now?

I have a hard time imagining that cops represent even a small portion of the market they would gain by selling to everyone as a normal gunshop would. However, its their store and they can sell to whomever they want, regardless of how much sense it makes.

I agree with Jimbo that one could just go elsewhere, as I would, and it seems others would too. However, now those people are being insulted because they wish to only support stores which sell to all legal citizens.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I just cant imagine why any company would want to limit their potential customer base.

I am also irritated at this unspoken attitude that LEO are somehow more important or special than a normal citizen.

They definetly dont have to justify their policies to me, but they would be extremely foolish to think that those policies are in their best interests financially. I'll take my consumer dollars to a store that sells to consumers.

What if Best Buy only sold to computer programmers? Would your position be the same?
    I'm new here....and I know this is an older thread....but daaaamn....I'm seeing a lot of po po hatin' here....:eek:

Top Bottom