• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was in need of a new holster for an upcoming class. I had a couple in mind so I called Popguns to see what they had in stock. The person answering the phone was like a polite Zombie. All I got were "yes, sir" and "no, sir" answers.

They didn't have what I was looking for so I called and spoke with "Jennifer" at Stephen R. Jenkins Company Steven R. Jenkins Company Inc. - Uniforms and Equipment for Public Safety

She answered my questions, and when they had what I was looking for, she made 2 separate trips to the floor to verify that she had it for my G19. She then held it with my last name at the counter so I could come pick it up. Very pleasant girl.

See the above website for location and phone number. This is a very cool store if you've never been there before. You could spend HOURS going thru their clearance tubs in the back room.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Not to rain on your good experience, but Mr. Jenkins is NOT a friend to the average citizen. Although you may have bought a holster from them, try buying a gun and you will get a rude awakening. Mr. Jenkins caters to the LEO crowd and will not sell a firearm to non-LEO.

Craig

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    bigcraig- does it have anything to do with them being a Law Enforcment Glock dealer? It seems to me like they should still be able to sell a gun to Average Joe, just not at the $398.20 price.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    5.11 holster ($30) and mag pouch ($20), made by Blade-Tech. Holster has both belt and paddle attachments.

Wanted something new for Matt's class.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    bigcraig- does it have anything to do with them being a Law Enforcment Glock dealer? It seems to me like they should still be able to sell a gun to Average Joe, just not at the $398.20 price.

Negative, he has an FFL and can sell to anyone if he chooses to do so. The Glock LEO program has nothing to do in regards to selling to private individuals. I tried buying a G19 from him many years ago, only to be told that they don't sell to non-LEO's.

I will say, that I fully believe that Mr. Jenkins has the right to refuse a sale for any reason, but he is no friend to the average Joe when it comes to firearm sales and thus he will never get any of my buisness.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I just want others to know that Mr. Jenkins company isn't exactly a the best place to spend your non-LEO money.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Not to rain on your good experience, but Mr. Jenkins is NOT a friend to the average citizen. Although you may have bought a holster from them, try buying a gun and you will get a rude awakening. Mr. Jenkins caters to the LEO crowd and will not sell a firearm to non-LEO.

Craig

True, but then again.... his business IS a police supply company. To quote a popular kid's saying..... "I ain't mad at him". :dunno:

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I haven't been to Steven R. Jenkins for a very long time. Policy was Not to admit anyone but LEO's and front door was locked. To be allowed entrance, you were either in uniform, show ID or were known. Steve retired (I heard) and turned it over to his son. Hard to tell what policies have changed but I was always treated fairly by Steve and Yes I loved the Bargain Bin too

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side

Craig

Craig, they make no claim that they are set up to sell firearms to the general public. They are a LEO supplier first and deal with John Q on a limited basis. Every time I have been there I have been treated like a king, and my kids have been welcome there as well. They are a great source for 5.11 clothing, INOVA flashlights, and gunleather. You won't find a more helpful staff anywhere. I am an average citizen and I feel very welcome there every time. There are plenty of places to buy a firearm, if Jenkins does not want to deal with it on a public basis it should be their chioce as it is their store. If you realy want to see how tollerant a store is, turn your 9 year old daughter loose on the "Lights and Siren" display along the back wall! If that doesn't get you thrown out nothing will! At Jenkins the store manager even got in on the fun. Just saying that's my kind of place. Jim

Last edited:

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Jennifer at Jenkins

My 2 cents....I ordered a 5-11 reversible parka from Jenkins on 3-3- 08 and paid in full. It had to be ordered from 5-11 in Ca. Never came in never came in. Was told 3 times it was still on backorder by Jenkins. Then I e-mailed 5-11, it's backoredered they said, gave me 2 diff dates it would be in. Never came in. Finally I call Jenkins and talk to Jennifer, she said she would call 5-11 and let me know what she finds out. 20 minutes later she calls back and says it will be in Indy on the 27th of August. On the 27th she called and told me it was here. Going this PM to pick it up. If you need help at Jenkins I recommend talking to Jennifer! :thumbsup:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . if Jenkins does not want to deal with it on a public basis it should be their chioce as it is their store.

It is absolutely their choice and right do whatever they want.

At the same time, it's our right to 1) criticize them for their choice and motives for making it, and 2) choose not patronize them because of that choice.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is there any explanation on why they do not want to sell firearms to the general public? Such a policy deserves criticism from the public. It is a form of dare I say... discrimination.

Last edited:

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    They are a POLICE SUPPLY store, it is not in their charter or SOP to sell to the public. That is not why the company was formed in the first place. Can you buy direct from the fire arms distributors? Why not criticize them? Can you buy direct from the pharmaceutical companies? Why not criticize them? You guys have got to lighten up a bit. If someone opens a business they are entitled to set it up as they see fit. Jenkins has been around a long time supplying the various LEO agencies around the state at specific GLOCK determined prices. Many of the firearms sold there are "LEO only" regardless. (even though that is not what it used to be during the Clinton AWB). Their agreement with GLOCK is specific to LEO sales only, that is how GLOCK wants it. Selling GLOCK products to the public would violate the agreement Jenkins has with GLOCK. If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with GLOCK not SRJ. Not everything is, or has to be, "Fair". Jenkins is a specialty business that has limited retail access, be happy you can go there at all, especially when they seem to have the holsters you need when everyone else says "I can order it for you". At Jenkins you can take it home with you. If enough of you offended folks yell loud enough maybe you can get them to go LEO only with NO sales to the public..that would sure fix 'em wouldn't it. Why does everyone want to kick a sleeping dog these days? Drop by yourself and enjoy what they do have to offer you. Jim

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    JBLee ... dude, you're way too defensive.

We have every right to choose where we want to shop or not for whatever reasons we choose. Just like your favorite vendor has the right to sell (or not) to whomever they choose. It's almost a free country.

Your need to justify their practices makes no sense to me, but again you have the right to say what you want. Just don't expect us to agree with you because you believe your own words are so reasonable . . . to you.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I just cant imagine why any company would want to limit their potential customer base.

I am also irritated at this unspoken attitude that LEO are somehow more important or special than a normal citizen.

They definetly dont have to justify their policies to me, but they would be extremely foolish to think that those policies are in their best interests financially. I'll take my consumer dollars to a store that sells to consumers.

What if Best Buy only sold to computer programmers? Would your position be the same?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If they are willing to sell holsters and pants to the public then they should be willing to sell guns to the public. If they cannot trust Joe Public to buy a gun, then say so. What about other guns? I seem to recall they had more than just Glock in the counter.

Earlier I was trying to make a point that it seems they do not trust Joe Public to buy a... gasp ... gun. I am disappointed with that attitude.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    Their dealer agreement with Glock and Smith & Wesson PROHIBITS them from selling to the public. It's that simple. Both Glock and Smith & Wesson have LEO Only dealers. They sell product at a reduced price to LEO customers. It requires a Purchase Order on LEO letterhead at a minimum. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. If you want to buy a Glock or a Smith & Wesson pistol at the LEO price you can join your local law enforcement agency. It's not Jenkin's unwillingness to sell to the public it's a contractual agreement that they will not, or they stand to loose the franchise. Both companies have retail agreements with several shops around town and Jenkins is not allowed to pursue that portion of the market. I hope this clears up the issue. It is not a matter of trust or discrimination it's the rules set forth by the manufacturer of the firearms.

Top Bottom