• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll say it. It's obvious why they closed.
    No adult has to ask why.
    I am not saying I agree with them and their decision at all.
    I do wonder what would happen if all restaurants scheduled maintenance for those days?
    And I DO think that this will get the attention of IDI (Indy downtown inc) [Whatever happened to UPtown?]
    I wonder if they had any lawsuits, or disruptions, or violence during any of the last few IBEs?

For these busy nights, if I were them, I'd have a special menu of higher-priced stuff and/or dining by reservations only with a fee for cancelations.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Clearly, Steak & Shake behaved stupidly. Now they need to go to the White House with Ms. Bell and have a beer with BO. Only then can fences be mended and the this obviously racist incident be put behind us.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'll say it. It's obvious why they closed.
    No adult has to ask why.
    I am not saying I agree with them and their decision at all.
    I do wonder what would happen if all restaurants scheduled maintenance for those days?
    And I DO think that this will get the attention of IDI (Indy downtown inc) [Whatever happened to UPtown?]
    I wonder if they had any lawsuits, or disruptions, or violence during any of the last few IBEs?

For these busy nights, if I were them, I'd have a special menu of higher-priced stuff and/or dining by reservations only with a fee for cancelations.

Good thoughts, and completely legal, without even a question of discrimination: Anyone who makes a reservation may eat there, provided s/he is willing to pay what they're asking. Rep added!

Blessings,
    Bill

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I call BULLS**T!

As a downtown resident I can say from personal observation there is no way in hell this brings 38 Million dollars to Indy.
    This crowd does not spend money. Plus its an absolute drain on taxpayer funded law enforcement.

IF Expo brought 38 MILLION dollars to Indy how come other municipalities aren't bidding against us to host the expo???

The Future Farmers of America convention is a competitive bidding process with a battle every year between cities.

Other conventions also require competitive bidding. If this sham is worth 38 MILLION of economic impact why aren't other cities fighting us for the event?

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Remember when the Hot Rod Nationals were "driven" out of Indy due to the rowdyness of the crowds? Clearly more serious problems occur during the annual Black Expo's than the Hot Rod Nationals. But it would be racist to suggest that Black Expo go to Peoria like the Hot Rod Nationals did!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Good point. Typically, 'economic impact' numbers are distorted greatly by the folks who need to post large numbers to protect their ego, image, funding, etc. You are most certainly correct in pointing our that this particular event brings in a fraction of the purported $38-million.

A typical thousand person event will bring in somewhere in the neighborhood of $350-400,000 per day - assuming two people per room. It could vary a bit, but these are DIRECT expenditures. It doesn't calculate money multipliers, etc., but it does cover hotel, food, shopping, gas and miscellaneous. There could be an increase as well if the attendees fly in and take a cab to the hotel (not sure of the fly/drive mix on this one).

I'm not sure how many people come to town for this particular event, but if anyone does - you can do the math and get a rough idea of REAL direct expenditures during the event.

Ashkelon is absolutely correct that if this WERE a $38mm event, it would have been stolen away by another city. Convention business is down nationwide right now and all cities are begging for business.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Remember when the Hot Rod Nationals were "driven" out of Indy due to the rowdyness of the crowds? Clearly more serious problems occur during the annual Black Expo's than the Hot Rod Nationals. But it would be racist to suggest that Black Expo go to Peoria like the Hot Rod Nationals did!

+1 Atleast the Hot Rodders aren't attacking people in mobs and shooting at people and stuff, just some good ole fashion drinking fightin, and hot rodding!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'll be darned if I have a customer dictate to me when I can and cannot have closed hours for maintenance. If I choose to provide meals only for those on duty that evening and to also provide a quiet and secure location for the officers to operate out of...that would be my business as the owner and the customers that are upset we are closed can choose to accept our apology for being closed and move on or they can try to make up some imaginary issue that screams for their justice and cause a stink.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Can you imagine the stink that would be raised if an attempt were made to organize a "White Expo" ? Or, better yet, we'd have riots on the heels of organizing a National Ass'n for the Advancement of white people.... but THAT wouldn't be racist..... nahhhhh, would it ? :dunno::rolleyes:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Can you imagine the stink that would be raised if an attempt were made to organize a "White Expo" ? Or, better yet, we'd have riots on the heels of organizing a National Ass'n for the Advancement of white people.... but THAT wouldn't be racist..... nahhhhh, would it ? :dunno::rolleyes:

3 words baby!!!!!

White
    Entertainment
    Television

:rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Unfortunately, Jay, the NAAWP has been organized, but it's a White Supremacist group. :xmad: :rolleyes:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Whaddya know.... I've always thought (and been told now and then) that I was a radical....... guess I'm in purty good shape after all....... :cool: :patriot:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Next year they should line/cover their windows with photos of puppy dogs and butterflies or something to soothe. (and block videos into their store.)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was watching the video when my wife walked into the room. She recognized the main girl in the video as a girl she went to high school with (Decatur Central). My wife said the girl hadn't changed much, as she was always into the "Powerful Black Women" issues, even in high school.

Top Bottom