• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    For guns, jewelry, ect you take out an additional policy in the amount you need
    So if you want 200k of coverage then that's what you ask and pay for.
    On jewelry you have to have written appraisals (from a jeweler) for each item that is over 3k in value I think it is. And for guns you need to have value for each one that includes any accessories on it as well as listing the serial number for each one. Of coarse the more pictures the better.
    Most home owners policies will not cover much when it comes to these items unless you have additional coverage. You could easily have a terrible situational get worse if you arent properly covered. The same goes for coverage to rebuilt the structure. I'm not an expert on insurance but I have talked to and paid the right people who are so that .. just in case.
    If your wife has a 15k or more wedding/engagement ring and she loses it or the 3k diamond pops out of it, it.would be wonderful not to have to worry about replacing it out of pocket because it just adds to an already bad situation. Or if you get robbed of your nice watch on vacation, covered.
    You can buy insuramce for just about anything if you're willing to pay for it and In some cases it's worth the peace of mind

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I've been dealing with State Farm for decades.
    They're better than they used to be. Many OLD people use State Farm for their vehicles.
    I had homeowners for a while with them. They wouldn't write my guns or jewelry. Ok I dealt with that.
    My boat got stripped down over 4th of July weekend while we were gone. They wouldn't pay for it. I was done at that point. NO MORE State Farm for me or mine.
    My EX had SF when we got married. She was paying outrageous rates with a good driving record. We went to Farmers for her and cut her rate by over 40% and increased the coverage and reduced the deductible.

I remember turning 16 and Dad putting me on their insurance through State Farm, I don't know how long they had been with State Farm before that. 29 years later, Mom dies. Dad calls State Farm to take her off the auto policies, they raise his rates. Mind you, Dad is 68 years old, no tickets/accidents for so many years I don't remember the last one. He quickly changed insurance companies and got a cheaper rate. To this day, I still don't understand the increase in premiums.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For guns, jewelry, ect you take out an additional policy in the amount you need
    So if you want 200k of coverage then that's what you ask and pay for.
    On jewelry you have to have written appraisals (from a jeweler) for each item that is over 3k in value I think it is. And for guns you need to have value for each one that includes any accessories on it as well as listing the serial number for each one. Of coarse the more pictures the better.
    Most home owners policies will not cover much when it comes to these items unless you have additional coverage. You could easily have a terrible situational get worse if you arent properly covered. The same goes for coverage to rebuilt the structure. I'm not an expert on insurance but I have talked to and paid the right people who are so that .. just in case.
    If your wife has a 15k or more wedding/engagement ring and she loses it or the 3k diamond pops out of it, it.would be wonderful not to have to worry about replacing it out of pocket because it just adds to an already bad situation. Or if you get robbed of your nice watch on vacation, covered.
    You can buy insuramce for just about anything if you're willing to pay for it and In some cases it's worth the peace of mind

That is probably based upon each individual insurance company. Some may go to $2k, others to $5k.

This is why it is so important to read yer policy!!!

Note also for hunters there is a limit on what is covered in the freezer, again from company to company. So if'n yer power goes out this July and you lose a bunch of frozen meat the normal limit with most company used to be $500, although again you would have to read your own policy to find out.

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I remember turning 16 and Dad putting me on their insurance through State Farm, I don't know how long they had been with State Farm before that. 29 years later, Mom dies. Dad calls State Farm to take her off the auto policies, they raise his rates. Mind you, Dad is 68 years old, no tickets/accidents for so many years I don't remember the last one. He quickly changed insurance companies and got a cheaper rate. To this day, I still don't understand the increase in premiums.

It was possibly(?) the combination of just getting older along with a standard rate hike that applied to everyone.

Statistically it used to be that being between 50 and 65 auto rates are the lowest, as those were the drivers that had the fewest accidents. I use past tense because I don't know if the statistics have changed.

So your dad may have just gotten lost a benefit from being in a "sweet spot" for age and gotten hit with a normal company wide rate hike to account for inflation, losses across the board, etc.

Note also that it is almost always better to put your autos and home(s) together with the same company, as each will receive an auto/home discount. Renters insurance will normally qualify for this benefit as well.

Kids and olde people (over 70) are the ones to pay more normally, as they have the most accidents.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom