• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    For fun off the charts a S&W 15-22 is so versatile and light. I couldn't put mine down for a year after getting it. I saw wanted posters in the woods with my mug on them, 5,000 acorns dead or alive for any squirrel who took me out. Seriously I took squirrels running on the ground, in trees and even took a pair in the same tree once. I finally curt a deal with the big nut on campus that I would only shoot the nuts out of their mouths, and they removed the posters, and they got their nuts cracked.

I bought my daughter one for Christmas this year and we are going to shoot steel challenge together. Both rifles will be set up with RD. These rifle’s are very accurate.
    Enjoy whatever you get.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    yes those seem to be the most recommended ones. I am liking the marlin 22 795 though and maybe get a cheap sight to throw on it for now. any suggestions?
    Cheap sights? Just use the factory sights.

If you want something that is a marked improvement over factory sights and are repeatable, the sky is the limit, but it will cost a little more.

For me though, I use Tech Sights if I want to shoot irons with a few of my rifles sporting Williams peep sights.

For scopes I use Vortex (purchased primarily from AA Optics ... https://aaoptics.com/ ... since Alan is a great guy and site supporter) mostly from the lower end of their line-up ... Crossfire II or Diamondback. I use a sturdy scope base, like a DIP (Diversified Innovative Products) 3/8" picatinny scope mount and Warne rings.

I have not ventured into red dots on .22LR rifles yet.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    giphy.gif
    IMG_5108.jpeg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I like the Ruger 10/22 (I'm sure you've noticed the 10/22 in SEVERAL posts), I have two.
    You mentioned suppressor.
    I have this "tactical" one. (Yes I know, "tactical" makes me cringe. But this one comes with a threaded barrel). And I changed out the stock.
    1705463696516.png

And also has been mentioned, the S&W 15-22 is good.
    I especially like the ease of loading the magazine.
    1705463783938.png

But, remember that any semi-auto will experience some noise with the bolt going open before all the sound is suppressed.

If you want "movie quiet"... you need a bolt action.
    I love my Savage Mark II FV-SR
    1705463989385.png
    At a NWI shoot, someone tried it out and ran out and bought one and is now waiting on his suppressor. After firing, he wasn't sure that it HAD fired.

Though I've heard someone else go with the B22 FV-SR, instead.
    I haven't shot it myself.

And those Savages have AWESOME triggers.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know you mentioned "rifle", but I also will recommend pistols..

S&W 22 pistol
    and
    Ruger Mk IV 22/45
    The same note with the suppressor. Semi-auto can only be so quiet.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    If you cannot find a Marlin 60 at a good price, look for a Glenfield 60. 90% the same as a Marlin (made by Marlin in fact), but cheaper wood and pressed markings. Shoots every bit as good as a Marlin 60 and just as reliable.

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    View attachment 326361
    This here has taken numerous small game.
    10/22 nothing fancy. It loves eley Force, and Aguila Super Extra 40gr.
    I recommend a 10/22.
    View attachment 326362
    Taken during season in one night.
    Good looking gun! I am starting to fancy the henry ar7 for my first setup just for versatility sake but i think i will definitely have to pick up a 10/22 next. Thank you sir!

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    Well, I like the Ruger 10/22 (I'm sure you've noticed the 10/22 in SEVERAL posts), I have two.
    You mentioned suppressor.
    I have this "tactical" one. (Yes I know, "tactical" makes me cringe. But this one comes with a threaded barrel). And I changed out the stock.
    View attachment 326365

And also has been mentioned, the S&W 15-22 is good.
    I especially like the ease of loading the magazine.
    View attachment 326366

But, remember that any semi-auto will experience some noise with the bolt going open before all the sound is suppressed.

If you want "movie quiet"... you need a bolt action.
    I love my Savage Mark II FV-SR
    View attachment 326367
    At a NWI shoot, someone tried it out and ran out and bought one and is now waiting on his suppressor. After firing, he wasn't sure that it HAD fired.

Though I've heard someone else go with the B22 FV-SR, instead.
    I haven't shot it myself.

And those Savages have AWESOME triggers.
    I appreciate the thorough reply sir! I am leaning towards a henry ar7 to start out but definitely would like to have a few options in the plinking department. Thank you for the help!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Good looking gun! I am starting to fancy the henry ar7 for my first setup just for versatility sake but i think i will definitely have to pick up a 10/22 next. Thank you sir!
    Let me know how you like the AR 7.
    I've been interested in one for a lightweight rifle for small game. I almost bought one, but I had a few people tell me they were not very accurate rifles.
    I'll be mounting a 1-6× illuminated lpvo on it if I get one.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have had an AR-7 and found it lacking in accuracy. I suspect it was due to the rear sight being on the receiver while the front sight was, obviously, on the barrel. Slight inconsistency in the barrel placement when mounted is, in my opinion, the reason for this.
    I replaced it with a Marlin Papoose which has both sights mounted on the barrel. I found, through experimentation, that the barrel nut could be loosened 1/4 turn with no loss of accuracy.
    I have no experience with other take-down 22's, but I believe the Papoose to be superior to the AR-7 for accuracy. Installing a scope would negate this advantage, but a Marbles Bulls Eye rear sight would give a peep sight style sight picture which is better than the open rear sight leaf.
    I recommend you consider such an arrangement for an accurate take-down rifle. James Bond never used one to take down a helicopter, but I was pleased with mine.

Top Bottom