• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was probably #150 in line when I got here. I didn't file when we bought the house and I was here to claim on our refi. I came by 2 hours ago and the line was this long then.

Anyone know why the state requires you to show up in person to claim your tax deduction? I know of at least 500 hours of productivity lost today by people standing with me in this line. I guessing it's the same in all counties across the state today.

Think we can change the system to allow these to be claimed through the mail?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I thought doctors didn't pay any taxes??? CLASS WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, we did the same thing today but thankfully there was no line. Shame on BOTH of us for waiting until the very last possible day to do this.

I honestly didn't know you had to REAPPLY for your homestead exemption.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are you sure you have to file in person? :D I don't think we do that up in Hamilton County. The docs are part of the closing and filed by mail.

Johnson County may do things a bit different, though. ;) Also, one thing I read made it look like they accept them through January 5?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I thought doctors didn't pay any taxes??? CLASS WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a small business owner who is getting screwed by increased taxes, ObamaCare mandates, declining reimbursement due to ObamaCare, lower income, and having my deductions probably reduced. Grrrr...

I don't pay my fair show though. I pay WAY more than my fair share.

I called today to record our refi but they said I didn't record our purchase last december. I had to come in today to apply it to 2012 I think.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Do you do physicals while wearing furry gloves? I'm in the market for a new doctor who does.

I hear you on the Obamacare. I wonder if our next gen of up and coming doctors are losing incentive to start their medical careers knowing that they are taking a pretty sizable paycut for the "betterment of society and forcing of equals."

I think if you're middle or upper class, you're already paying way more into the system than what you will ever benefit from. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken the clergymen exemption from SS and kept my money for my own personal retirement.

No one is responsible for you but you.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Docs to refile not always part of closing. We refinanced several years back and no one mentioned you needed to refile. Discovered when tax bill came months later.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Johnson county courthouse annex has a no guns sign. Hrm. I left it in the car anyway due to my ignorance of the law, but the officer I spoke to said the sign enforces a local ordinance. I asked if there's a courthouse in this building and he said no. I pointed out that the state law change and he said it's a deterrent. I pointed out that having the government intentionally misleading its citizens about laws is not a good idea. I guess we have to contact county commissioner.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Johnson county courthouse annex has a no guns sign. Hrm. I left it in the car anyway due to my ignorance of the law, but the officer I spoke to said the sign enforces a local ordinance. I asked if there's a courthouse in this building and he said no. I pointed out that the state law change and he said it's a deterrent. I pointed out that having the government intentionally misleading its citizens about laws is not a good idea. I guess we have to contact county commissioner.

Ridiculous. I'm in Johnson county also

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    **Paging Guy Relford, Mr. Guy Relford, please pick up the red courtesy phone.**

:)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I talked to the commissioner's office who is sending it to the lawyer to review. I asked them to call me when they've looked at it. We'll see.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is the first I've heard about this. I was already getting the homestead, was i supposed to file again?

You can only claim your primary residence for the Homestead exemption/deduction.

When you receive your property tax bill, there will be a "Homestead exemption form" that you'll need to fill out... Everything you need to fill out the Homestead form is on your property tax bill / or tax notice.

And, even if you have an escrow account that pays your property taxes, you still need to fill out the Homestead form and mail it back to wherever the form says to mail it to.

We got our Homestead form with our property tax bill / notice, so we just filled it out and sent it back to the County office in April 2012.

If you don't send this form back to your County office, you will lose the Homestead deduction / exemption.

TK

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I was probably #150 in line when I got here. I didn't file when we bought the house and I was here to claim on our refi. I came by 2 hours ago and the line was this long then.

Anyone know why the state requires you to show up in person to claim your tax deduction? I know of at least 500 hours of productivity lost today by people standing with me in this line. I guessing it's the same in all counties across the state today.

Think we can change the system to allow these to be claimed through the mail?

They sent out a form a few years ago. I filled it out then (but didnt remember filling it out). I went to the courthouse, got through the TSA style search, talked the the office staff, found out I was already good to go, and was out in under 5 minutes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can only claim your primary residence for the Homestead exemption/deduction.

When you receive your property tax bill, there will be a "Homestead exemption form" that you'll need to fill out... Everything you need to fill out the Homestead form is on your property tax bill / or tax notice.

And, even if you have an escrow account that pays your property taxes, you still need to fill out the Homestead form and mail it back to wherever the form says to mail it to.

We got our Homestead form with our property tax bill / notice, so we just filled it out and sent it back to the County office in April 2012.

If you don't send this form back to your County office, you will lose the Homestead deduction / exemption.

TK

Thanks. I filled one out when I refinanced in 2009, wasn't sure if everyone had to reapply for some reason.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thanks. I filled one out when I refinanced in 2009, wasn't sure if everyone had to reapply for some reason.

We bought our house about 4 years ago. We definitely had to reapply this year. I asked the lady why and she had no idea. We received something in the mail earlier this week about making sure we reapplied.

I have a feeling a lot of people threw away their forms without reading it.

Top Bottom