• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ok so I love my new (to me) sr1911... anyway, I just started breaking in my new holster and I noticed this noise. Its obvious where its coming from, considering the rest of the gun is nice and tight.

Any idea on how to fix this? From simple fixes, to mods, to replacement parts. If this is normal, then never mind haha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[ame]http://youtu.be/ODrohIuGrhM[/ame]

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Check the leaf spring. Odds are someone bent it for a "cheap" trigger job, and it's probably not hitting the grip safety right.

Mine has a little play, but yours seems way excessive.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    As far as the side to side play goes it isn't easy to get that to go away without replacing the grip safety.
    But you could add a little pressure to the 3rd finger of the leaf spring and it might help.
    Also while it is apart use a small amount of gun grease on the pin and that will help quieten it down a lot.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, the spring should be pushing it back hard enough that it's not flopping around like that, at least. I thought my old Llama (don't start on me, I was young and poor) was loose.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    You can eliminate the side to side slop with a copper shim. The in and out slop is the spring as others have said.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Im new to 1911s... any idea on how difficult this will be and could you provide me with a writeup? Thanks!

Oh, and I'm guessing I'm treading into the needing a gun smith area. Any ideas on a good one in the north Indianapolis area?

Fixing the grip safety might also stop you from again muzzling yourself in the future as well. :)

I just got it, haven't loaded it once yet. Figured id skip the step where I show everyone on the internet that it is clear.

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You are not treading into gunsmith territory. taking apart your gun far enough to remove the grip safety would be 1911 "101" :) other than not scratching the slide or frame with the slide stop it's pretty easy.Google is your friend

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I tried to find info on what to bend and how much with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own 2 Colt and 1 Kimber 1911 and none of them rattle like that.

Is your grip safety operational or has it been disabled? An adjustment of the leaf spring is indicated.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    None of mine do either but I had a Charles Daily that did. Amazing what some grease and oil did for the gun

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I dont know about north but I know someone on the westside :)

A guy on the westside who is about to be crazy busy due to the nice hail that slammed us in Avon. ;)

Got my appointment at Diamond on Tuesday for an estimate, although looks like the wife will be bringing my SUV in, due to schedule.

Now I just need to find someone as reputable who does siding, as I have a lot of holes in mine now.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My Dan Wesson CBOB did that-slight bend on the leaf spring took care of it.

Here is one among many detail strips:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKAz5Zi7vg[/ame]

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A guy on the westside who is about to be crazy busy due to the nice hail that slammed us in Avon. ;)

Got my appointment at Diamond on Tuesday for an estimate, although looks like the wife will be bringing my SUV in, due to schedule.

Now I just need to find someone as reputable who does siding, as I have a lot of holes in mine now.

You aren't kidding either

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    That made it really easy! No more noise.

Thanks to everyone! :patriot:

Good for you! One more hint: If you bent the leaf spring, make sure that the magazines still drop free on release-if there is too much bend in the spring, the bend can protrude into the mag well. A slight bend shouldn't be a problem.

Top Bottom