• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It was hard to think about people living in that place, a mobile home, old houses, and several sheds on a few acres of ground literally covered in trash. The crew did a very good job of cleaning up. I'll use them again if the need comes up again.
    I've seen plenty of people living like that who weren't squatters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wow. If you don’ mind me asking, how did this come to be?
    Meth village got started when a local came back from prison. Extra mailboxes were set up and people we have never seen before started moving in. During deer season when hunting near there I would see more drug deals than deer. Lots of unknown people on my game cameras during ginseng season and it was a problem for everybody on the road. Things changed when the original guy passed on and the relatives that owned the property wanted to sell it. I bought it and cleaned it up. Now it's just a field and some trees although I still pick up trash when I walk through there.

I was surprised at the number of mailboxes as they exceeded what you would call habitable structures. Made me wonder if this was a common tactic for transient drug users to get their mail without having an address where the law might intercept them. Boxes went into the containers and we didn't look.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Meth village got started when a local came back from prison. Extra mailboxes were set up and people we have never seen before started moving in. During deer season when hunting near there I would see more drug deals than deer. Lots of unknown people on my game cameras during ginseng season and it was a problem for everybody on the road. Things changed when the original guy passed on and the relatives that owned the property wanted to sell it. I bought it and cleaned it up. Now it's just a field and some trees although I still pick up trash when I walk through there.

I was surprised at the number of mailboxes as they exceeded what you would call habitable structures. Made me wonder if this was a common tactic for transient drug users to get their mail without having an address where the law might intercept them. Boxes went into the containers and we didn't look.
    Ah. I assumed this sprung up on property you owned. I get it now. Lucky you got a chance to buy it and get rid of it.

ETA:

I’ve got a neighbor I’d like to do the same with (her property). I think I’ve mentioned this situation before. Fortunately for now, we’ve sort of reached a bit of equilibrium so the friction has been alleviated for now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ah. I assumed this sprung up on property you owned. I get it now. Lucky you got a chance to buy it and get rid of it.

It got started that way as the guy returning from prison set up the first trailer on my ground. I couldn't run him off as it was close to the line and I needed the ground surveyed, which took more than usual time with covid. After the survey he moved over to the relatives ground.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It got started that way as the guy returning from prison set up the first trailer on my ground. I couldn't run him off as it was close to the line and I needed the ground surveyed, which took more than usual time with covid. After the survey he moved over to the relatives ground.
    That was a bit of luck too. My neighbor is no stranger to the legal system. She has judgements against her that she’s never paid off, refuses to appear in court when ordered, ignores decrees, etc.

You can’t be nice to these people.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Given the volatile nature of some chemicals used in cooking, it would seem if such a place exploded and burned furiously it wouldn't cause much concern

I don't believe they cooked there as I think I would have detected the smell, but a lot of stuff was used. The structures were full of syringes, over 40 in one room. We didn't touch them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like Houghmade said, Indiana is not a squatter friendly state, but you still have to get things lined out before anything gets done.
    And, a few years ago Indiana reduced the period for adverse possession from 20 years down to 10. Don’t wait too long before you take care of business.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    News segment yesterday was about a squatter hunter. He would create his own fake paperwork, lease agreement, receipts, etc. Then moves in with the squatter. Squatter calls cops, who don't know who to believe and walk away. Hunter and friends make life miserable for squatter, who moves to easier digs.
    I saw something like that too. Basically if you do exactly what the squatter did, they get the same answer from the cops: "dunno, civil issue, go ask the courts". Which, obviously, some loser squatter won't do, because they printed a generic lease at the library, forged a signature, and can't prove they ever paid anything.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We have two homes on our street that are owned by folks who only occupy them a couple of times a year; one is only two doors down the street. We also have a worsening homeless/immigrant "problem", so I expect this to be coming to my neighborhood soon.

It's developing problem nationwide, with law enforcement stymied by the rule of "law".

Question is, how to deal with it? Moving to another area is not a viable solution, the problem is nationwide.

The level of belligerent entitlement in the first video is astounding. It certainly brings out my "white rage"...

SSS

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Back in Illinois there was a scumbag family that lived across the street, second generation "Section 8." I have no idea how that family ever bought the house but they did. Then they quit paying real estate taxes and it was bought in a tax sale. They would not leave so the new owner came down with the Sherrif and they removed all their belongings and set them in the street.
    I guess you can get away with being a squatter in someone's house but the government gets ****** if tax money is involved. Jim.

Top Bottom