• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Seems no one makes stick on rubber base pads for double stack metal magazines anymore

Pachmayr used to make these,but no longer since they got bought out by Lyman

What if anything are you guys doing to protect magazine base plates on these meal base mags? Anyone out there 3d printing something like this?

JlghG20l.jpg

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Seems no one makes stick on rubber base pads for double stack metal magazines anymore

Pachmayr used to make these,but no longer since they got bought out by Lyman

What if anything are you guys doing to protect magazine base plates on these meal base mags? Anyone out there 3d printing something like this?

JlghG20l.jpg

I would love to find some of those. I have some dense foam rubber with adhesive backing that I've been thinking about using to make my own

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Now I just need to see if springfield armory will make a detective version. Girsan apparently has what they are calling the PI:

There's an article about it also in the new American Handgunner magazine out this month.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    RKGuns delivered quickly, I must have had lucky timing on the order vs the next shipment to my store, ordered on a Saturday night, and got the email it was available for pick-up Friday afternoon... in my hands on Sunday.

They were sold out by first thing Sunday morning.

Haven't been to range yet, but I am very happy with it just oogling and dry firing. Only nit would be the trigger, it does have a slight but perceptible creep prior to the break and the reset is fairly long, light and barely audible. But also probably not being fair at all right after dry firing the 1911. Lol!

We'll see if it even matters after the range trip.

829A3EB4-6B88-4C66-9AB7-7FC7CA369B54.jpeg

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Apex Tactical is getting ready to release a pretty nice magwell for the HP and a line of magazines with extensions. They are working on trigger components as well.

Damn, $65 mags... Seems a bit high. I like what I can see of the base pads, but still that's a heck of a premium.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Damn, $65 mags... Seems a bit high. I like what I can see of the base pads, but still that's a heck of a premium.
    I can see why it seems steep but for a mag and the base it's not bad, a lot of aftermarket mag extensions run 20-40.00 just by themselves plus trying to recoup some of that R&D time i'm sure. It's nice to have a drop in (at least for the SA-35) magwell available the only game in town used to be the weld on ones.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can see why it seems steep but for a mag and the base it's not bad, a lot of aftermarket mag extensions run 20-40.00 just by themselves plus trying to recoup some of that R&D time i'm sure. It's nice to have a drop in (at least for the SA-35) magwell available the only game in town used to be the weld on ones.
    I didn't realize at first these were added capacity, but then the 19 rounder is also $75, I now notice.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Range Report

Took the Hi-Power to the range yesterday and put ~150 rounds thru it. Functioned flawlessly. Grip felt great, pointed great. More accurate/precise than I am with open sights, 3-4 inch 15 rnd groups at 10 yards firing fast, but not "rapid"... I.e. not slow fire. Group was 3-4 inches left of center, so will take tools to drift the rear sight next time.

A little bit of hammer bite... hammer "nibble" more like it, but no "ouch" moments thanks to the rounded hammer... a hammer spur would have hurt.

Trigger break was fine, I had dry fired 2-300 times prior to going to the range and the creep in the break was gone/unnoticable. Actually shooting, the trigger break was great, especially compared to my striker fired guns I brought with...

The trigger reset was excruciatingly long and light. To the point that I pulled 3 times prior to reset. To be fair, I shot the HP first and was thinking, that's a pretty long and barely noticable reset... Then I shot the new Rock Island 1911, which has a surprisingly good trigger, better than a $475 1911 has a right to have, and after that, all my triggers seemed like ****. I even short stroked the Shield+ which I had never done before.

Even with that, the SA-35 reset was long and light.

Buddy brought his Argentine HP, and we swapped back and forth. Good times!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Range Report

Took the Hi-Power to the range yesterday and put ~150 rounds thru it. Functioned flawlessly. Grip felt great, pointed great. More accurate/precise than I am with open sights, 3-4 inch 15 rnd groups at 10 yards firing fast, but not "rapid"... I.e. not slow fire. Group was 3-4 inches left of center, so will take tools to drift the rear sight next time.

A little bit of hammer bite... hammer "nibble" more like it, but no "ouch" moments thanks to the rounded hammer... a hammer spur would have hurt.

Trigger break was fine, I had dry fired 2-300 times prior to going to the range and the creep in the break was gone/unnoticable. Actually shooting, the trigger break was great, especially compared to my striker fired guns I brought with...

The trigger reset was excruciatingly long and light. To the point that I pulled 3 times prior to reset. To be fair, I shot the HP first and was thinking, that's a pretty long and barely noticable reset... Then I shot the new Rock Island 1911, which has a surprisingly good trigger, better than a $475 1911 has a right to have, and after that, all my triggers seemed like ****. I even short stroked the Shield+ which I had never done before.

Even with that, the SA-35 reset was long and light.

Buddy brought his Argentine HP, and we swapped back and forth. Good times!
    I had the same experience (pulling trigger before reset) on my SA-35. Had the cylinder and slide trigger put in and seemed to help quite a bit.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wish someone would make the hard rubber magazine bumper pads like Pachmeyer used to make for the BHP.
    Agreed, but I can't seem to find those anywhere. Appear to have been discontinued somewhere in the process of Pachmayr being pulled into Lyman.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Agreed, but I can't seem to find those anywhere. Appear to have been discontinued somewhere in the process of Pachmayr being pulled into Lyman.
    Yeah they have I reached out to Lyman and asked them about that and they said there are no plans to resurrect those. I told them that's a shame because there's a lot of BHP owners out there that would love to have them especially with the clones coming on the market.

All I got from them was thank you for your input

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Haven't looked at SA's clone.

Is it coming with that mag safety crap to pop out?

DE3A7858-925B-4FCE-97A3-6F3F25D1B51E.jpeg

I'm going to have to do some checking, but if I were a betting man I would bet that mag safety crap was a feature introduced by the French partner of John Moses Browning's final design.

Top Bottom