• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I tore the SA-35 apart yesterday, it's really well made. I had ordered a C&S hammer awhile back, there's nothing wrong with the factory hammer I just prefer the standard ring hammer vs. the more oblong factory one. My trigger for a factory gun was actually pretty good, better than any FN or Browning i've had before but it still had a tiny bit of creep. I stoned and evened out the sear and hit the C&S hammer a couple times and adjusted the sear spring, now it's a hair under 5lbs and very crisp. My slide to frame fit is 1911 tight but I hit the top of the rails just a little bit as it was a bit too tight as the slide returns to battery. Added the Navidrex grips from Brownells and it's coming along. When the semester is over in May and I have a bit more time i'll start stippling the front and backstrap and the other odds and ends before refinishing.

oQGp56pl.jpg

iHn0sv6l.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I tore the SA-35 apart yesterday, it's really well made. I had ordered a C&S hammer awhile back, there's nothing wrong with the factory hammer I just prefer the standard ring hammer vs. the more oblong factory one. My trigger for a factory gun was actually pretty good, better than any FN or Browning i've had before but it still had a tiny bit of creep. I stoned and evened out the sear and hit the C&S hammer a couple times and adjusted the sear spring, now it's a hair under 5lbs and very crisp. My slide to frame fit is 1911 tight but I hit the top of the rails just a little bit as it was a bit too tight as the slide returns to battery. Added the Navidrex grips from Brownells and it's coming along. When the semester is over in May and I have a bit more time i'll start stippling the front and backstrap and the other odds and ends before refinishing.

oQGp56pl.jpg

iHn0sv6l.jpg
    Got mine out to the range today. No extraction issues. It was a little weak ejecting the federal 115 grain aluminum case, but to be expected on a new gun and weaker ammo. S&B 124 grain ejected over the shoulder as expected.

Being almost exclusively a striker fired shooter, I'm used to riding the trigger for the reset and that resulted in either trying to pull a non reset trigger or moving my grip a few times to allow the trigger to properly reset. That's me and not the gun. That said, I'm heading over to check out Allen's worked over SA-35 in the near term to see how I like his trigger and make some decisions on what I'd like done to mine. He makes use of C&S parts as well.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Got mine out to the range today. No extraction issues. It was a little weak ejecting the federal 115 grain aluminum case, but to be expected on a new gun and weaker ammo. S&B 124 grain ejected over the shoulder as expected.

Being almost exclusively a striker fired shooter, I'm used to riding the trigger for the reset and that resulted in either trying to pull a non reset trigger or moving my grip a few times to allow the trigger to properly reset. That's me and not the gun. That said, I'm heading over to check out Allen's worked over SA-35 in the near term to see how I like his trigger and make some decisions on what I'd like done to mine. He makes use of C&S parts as well.
    I noticed the trigger reset as well. Since trigger reset wasn't a tacticool thing in 1935, to me, it's to be expected. I posted in this thread or another how Bill Wilson does trigger control on one of his custom made pistols. He comes completely off the trigger and points downrange with his between each shot. Unbelievable that he hits anything.....but he does!
    But, yeah, have to really get off the trigger of the SA-35. It shoots really well.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I noticed the trigger reset as well. Since trigger reset wasn't a tacticool thing in 1935, to me, it's to be expected. I posted in this thread or another how Bill Wilson does trigger control on one of his custom made pistols. He comes completely off the trigger and points downrange with his between each shot. Unbelievable that he hits anything.....but he does!
    But, yeah, have to really get off the trigger of the SA-35. It shoots really well.
    Compared my trigger in my SA-35 to AllenM's and it was night and day. Going to start off with just the C&S Combat trigger and him fitting it and see what that gets us. I get that it's a different animal (SA-35) than what I'm used to, but even Allen said it wasn't acceptable. We'll see what we get, and hopefully just the trigger makes somewhat of a difference (he showed me how my trigger was engaging other parts on mine vs his).

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Compared my trigger in my SA-35 to AllenM's and it was night and day. Going to start off with just the C&S Combat trigger and him fitting it and see what that gets us. I get that it's a different animal (SA-35) than what I'm used to, but even Allen said it wasn't acceptable. We'll see what we get, and hopefully just the trigger makes somewhat of a difference (he showed me how my trigger was engaging other parts on mine vs his).
    As a point of reference, the SA-35 trigger reset is very similar to a double action revolver's. I started shooting on them, many, many, moons ago so, it isn't an issue for me. I don't know AllenM, can you fill me in?
    Anyway, keep us informed of how your rework goes, friend! Sounds like a cool journey!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As a point of reference, the SA-35 trigger reset is very similar to a double action revolver's. I started shooting on them, many, many, moons ago so, it isn't an issue for me. I don't know AllenM, can you fill me in?
    Anyway, keep us informed of how your rework goes, friend! Sounds like a cool journey!
    He's a well respected INGO member, who has a side business of gunsmithing and does some outstanding 1911 and other gun work. He's admitted he's not an Hi Power expert, but I trust him. He has fit up his SA-35 with some new parts and internals work and it felt much better than mine, and per his words at least for trigger weight his started out much worse than mine, except for the crazy reset on mine.

You can find his subforum here on INGO under Diamond Collision as he owns Diamond/his day job of auto body repair. I trust him there as well having had his shop do many repairs over the years having raised 2 kids through driving as well as my wife and I.

Allen turns out some great gun and auto body work.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Got my SA-35 back today from Allen, and tool it out to the range for a quick trip. Just the C&S trigger really helped. It removed a lot of the "let out" to get to the reset and made it more consistent. He also dropped in a C&S recoil spring and I believe the lighter firing pin spring.

Really liking this gun and plotting next steps on it if any. Thinking a barrel crown just because, and maybe some color.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Got my SA-35 back today from Allen, and tool it out to the range for a quick trip. Just the C&S trigger really helped. It removed a lot of the "let out" to get to the reset and made it more consistent. He also dropped in a C&S recoil spring and I believe the lighter firing pin spring.

Really liking this gun and plotting next steps on it if any. Thinking a barrel crown just because, and maybe some color.

Although the wood grips that the SA-35 comes with are attractive, how about some mammoth tusk grips ?!? .... make it a once-in-a-lifetime gun !

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Too rich for my blood, and I'm more practical than that, even for this which will primarily be a range gun.

I always thought the old school Hi Power Practical models looked good. I may have to mimic something like this:

Browning%20High%20Power%20Practical%209mm%20Two%20Tone%2002.jpg

but maybe with a darker frame color more like this (can't afford the rest of the treatment this gun got, but picked it for the color example or maybe even a sniper grey cerakote frame):

hi-power-2tone-002.jpg

I like the black controls and trigger on the gun in the lower picture.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Too rich for my blood, and I'm more practical than that, even for this which will primarily be a range gun.

I always thought the old school Hi Power Practical models looked good. I may have to mimic something like this:

Browning%20High%20Power%20Practical%209mm%20Two%20Tone%2002.jpg

but maybe with a darker frame color more like this (can't afford the rest of the treatment this gun got, but picked it for the color example:

hi-power-2tone-002.jpg

Just trying to help ! ;)
    I did wonder (having not held a SA-35) if the stock grip texture was abrasive. It's hard to tell how sharp the 'points' are.
    I do like the 2-tone !

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just trying to help ! ;)
    I did wonder (having not held a SA-35) if the stock grip texture was abrasive. It's hard to tell how sharp the 'points' are.
    I do like the 2-tone !
    You are always helpful. You just have more style than I do ;-)

Not very sharp. I just didn't want to get grease and stuff on them, etc. So I've already swapped them out for a Hogue grip with finger grooves for now as I found it local for a good price. I'll probably get some old school pachmayr wrap arounds like in the picture at some point, or maybe get fancy for me and get some VZ's or something like that.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    You are always helpful. You just have more style than I do ;-)

Ahh ... thanks for the kind thought. Actually, I probably have old-man-retiree, kids out of the house, everything paid for .... worked hard to make that happen outlook.
    Now, with my window of earthly existence narrowing, I allow myself a few luxuries. :)
    Not very sharp. I just didn't want to get grease and stuff on them, etc. So I've already swapped them out for a Hogue grip with finger grooves for now as I found it local for a good price. I'll probably get some old school pachmayr wrap arounds like in the picture at some point, or maybe get fancy for me and get some VZ's or something like that.

I've always been impressed with Hogue products. I have their grips on my CZ75, and think that they're rad !

i-FRJNsjT-M.jpg

Top Bottom