• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I'm having a hard time finding 15 rd blued mags. My biggest gripe is only giving you 1 mag with the gun. I think that's kinda crap of them
    I'm just guessing that the Springfield mags are made by Mec-Gar (really don't know). If so, I have had intermittent problems with the 15-rd'ers. Mostly when I got down to the last round or two. Never a hitch with the 13's. Did some searching and found a lot of other people having issues with 15's that they didn't with 13's. Once I lost confidence, I just can't carry them.

Now, these were bought at least 10 years ago. I'll probably buy a couple new ones (maybe marked Springfield?), and hope!

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Well crap. I guess I’ll be crossing my fingers and hoping for some aftermarket wrap-around grips. Worst case scenario, I have some left over talon grip material. I’d hate to ugly it up but I’ve come to dislike bare front straps.
    On my BHP's, I've done the factory MKIII grips, Pachmar wraps (carried back in the 90's), various wood species, and the Hogue wrap arounds. I've got smaller hands (Hey, no jokes!) and the wood look and feel great. The Pachmar's were a little too fat, then the material got hard and started cracking.

Now the two BHP's I have both wear the Hogues. Not crazy about the look, but I just can't argue with the results. I get a measurable difference, handling and accuracy, when these are on, for me. YMMV.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm just guessing that the Springfield mags are made by Mec-Gar (really don't know). If so, I have had intermittent problems with the 15-rd'ers. Mostly when I got down to the last round or two. Never a hitch with the 13's. Did some searching and found a lot of other people having issues with 15's that they didn't with 13's. Once I lost confidence, I just can't carry them.

Now, these were bought at least 10 years ago. I'll probably buy a couple new ones (maybe marked Springfield?), and hope!
    I may just go for 13 rounders. This will never be a carry gun. Strictly just a range gun. I would hope the mag that came with it is reliable. They are Mec-gar made so I would expect them to be. I haven't even shot the darn thing yet

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I may just go for 13 rounders. This will never be a carry gun. Strictly just a range gun. I would hope the mag that came with it is reliable. They are Mec-gar made so I would expect them to be. I haven't even shot the darn thing yet
    I truely hope you enjoy it - and hey, the 13 rounders will save you 50 cents a mag dump!

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Does anyone have both the SA-35 and an original BHP yet? I'd like to confirm that the dimensions are/are not identical. Particularly the front of the slide at the moment.

I have Desantis Slim-Tuk's for a P365 and P365XL. (Cheap but very functional IWB Kydex holster.) Wanted one for BHPs, but can't get them anywhere. Along comes the SA-35, and this is the IWB holster Springfield is selling for it. I jumped on it and bought 2. :ugh: THEY DON'T FIT!

Can't get the pistol all the way into the holster. It will actually retract the slide when you try. Yes, I tried loosening the tension screw. Next I fully removed both screws and everything down to just the shell. If I pull the shell open further, the BHP goes in and fits great.

Same issue with both holsters. Desantis lists this holster as being for the SA-35, with no mention of the BHP. I assumed that the dimensions of the slide would be the same, but conceivably not. I believe it's a mfg issue with the holster, but...

I just want to confirm that they are before I call Desantis/Springfield to deal with this. If I bought the wrong thing, I don't want to be the dumb@$$ complaining about a product that works just as it should.

Also, I already put the money aside to grab one of these when the crazy dies down. I'm not interested if it's just "similar" to the original, but Springfield started doing their own thing with core components like the slide. Parts compatibility is key on this for me. I'll get the Girsan for less, or a good used practical.

If anyone knows the answer for fact, I appreciate it!

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    My father-in-law had quite a few collectible hand guns but the Hi-Power was always his favorite to shoot. Even despite loving “wheel guns” over automatics.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Does anyone have both the SA-35 and an original BHP yet? I'd like to confirm that the dimensions are/are not identical. Particularly the front of the slide at the moment.

I have Desantis Slim-Tuk's for a P365 and P365XL. (Cheap but very functional IWB Kydex holster.) Wanted one for BHPs, but can't get them anywhere. Along comes the SA-35, and this is the IWB holster Springfield is selling for it. I jumped on it and bought 2. :ugh: THEY DON'T FIT!

Can't get the pistol all the way into the holster. It will actually retract the slide when you try. Yes, I tried loosening the tension screw. Next I fully removed both screws and everything down to just the shell. If I pull the shell open further, the BHP goes in and fits great.

Same issue with both holsters. Desantis lists this holster as being for the SA-35, with no mention of the BHP. I assumed that the dimensions of the slide would be the same, but conceivably not. I believe it's a mfg issue with the holster, but...

I just want to confirm that they are before I call Desantis/Springfield to deal with this. If I bought the wrong thing, I don't want to be the dumb@$$ complaining about a product that works just as it should.

Also, I already put the money aside to grab one of these when the crazy dies down. I'm not interested if it's just "similar" to the original, but Springfield started doing their own thing with core components like the slide. Parts compatibility is key on this for me. I'll get the Girsan for less, or a good used practical.

If anyone knows the answer for fact, I appreciate it!
    There shouldn't be any dimensional differences, i've seen plenty of pictures of SA-35's put in older holsters made for the BHP.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    So why is the "Garisson" at online retailers and the SA-35 is not? Anyone have any info on when they will be available or is SA only going to sell them to Gun Broker flippers???

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    So why is the "Garisson" at online retailers and the SA-35 is not? Anyone have any info on when they will be available or is SA only going to sell them to Gun Broker flippers???
    Grab-A-Gun keeps sending me notice that they have a SA-35 available for the princely sum of $1199 ..... it can remain "available" at that price !

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Grab-A-Gun keeps sending me notice that they have a SA-35 available for the princely sum of $1199 ..... it can remain "available" at that price !
    I think the prices are starting to cool off a bit, there are some 'buy it now's' on GB for 899.00 and several sold in the 800's and even one sold at 725.00. When they get to around 650.00 or some IOP one's pop up i'll grab one, whichever comes first.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Hopefully they're trickling in to the regular distributors then, maybe we'll see one around here, i'm first on the list at Highsmiths.
    Ha. Put my name on that same list. 3 or 4 down I was told. They sure are nice people though. My new go to shop. 15 miles away but worth it. I noticed they have a Springfield Garrison in stainless.
    I'm waiting on blue though.

Top Bottom