• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Does Your Spouse (significant other) Feel About Concealed Carry?

• Total voters

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Great suggestions. I've asked my wife very specific questions about what exactly doesn't she like, trying to hammer down to what her root fear or concern is. I'm making progress, but in the mean time, I'm carrying more and more. She can hear me getting in and out of the safe, so she knows but doesn't ask lately.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Why is your gun in the safe all the time? Will you have time to get it out in case a BG breaks into your house in the middle of the night? Or is this a compromise you have reached with your wife. She' doesn't see them, you can keep them?

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Definitely not ideal to encounter a bad guy, but we have small children and it's a compromise with the wife until I get something better figured out. I currently place the key in the safe, so all I have to do is turn the key and grab the loaded gun. I can do it in the dark.
    I read about the quick access safes. That might be an option, but I've read mixed reviews.
    Heck, I was thinking about a new thread for "how to store your guns with small kids."

Why is your gun in the safe all the time? Will you have time to get it out in case a BG breaks into your house in the middle of the night? Or is this a compromise you have reached with your wife. She' doesn't see them, you can keep them?

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Definitely not ideal to encounter a bad guy, but we have small children and it's a compromise with the wife until I get something better figured out. I currently place the key in the safe, so all I have to do is turn the key and grab the loaded gun. I can do it in the dark.
    I read about the quick access safes. That might be an option, but I've read mixed reviews.
    Heck, I was thinking about a new thread for "how to store your guns with small kids."

Wasn't trying to hassle you, never heard mention of small children. That's a good idea for a thread, I'd be interested to see what kind of responses you got. No small children here now, but do have a 7 month old Granddaughter I will have to think about soon when she gets mobile.

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    No worries. After having kids, the issue of storing the guns vs quick access has been a moving target. I'm always interested in learning how others do it.

Wasn't trying to hassle you, never heard mention of small children. That's a good idea for a thread, I'd be interested to see what kind of responses you got. No small children here now, but do have a 7 month old Granddaughter I will have to think about soon when she gets mobile.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There has been threads on the subject. My opinion, take the mystery away from guns. When my children were younger, they knew that they only had to ask and I would show them. I would use that opportunity to teach them safety and not to touch without permission. At three years old my son, who loves guns would not give a second glance if he saw a gun laying out, he knew which gun I carry and knew it was loaded. He would tell me not to forget my gun and that would be it. Fast forward to present. I have a loaded shotgun and .45 carbine in the family room. All of my children know they are there and they haven't been touched. Don't make guns taboo and your kids won't be curious.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Over the years, I've just made it a point to highlight all of the "bad stories" that hit the news about innocent people minding their own business who are assualted by thugs. I would always suggest that bad things can happen to good people at any time and at any place. One has to look no further than the Carmelites and Fishers folks getting their doors kicked in during the middle of the day.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well i guess im one of the lucky ones. Only problem I encounter is being able to shoot my guns, is gettin the GF to leave them alone long enough for me to shoot them,lol.

One thing I will say is maybe let her know that you just want to make sure that her and the rest of your family safe. Also you might maybe mention her talking to some of the lady gun owners either on here or were you live. Might make the gun carrying issue a little easier for her to understand if its coming from another woman. It might make the issue a little less confrontational coming from another woman...Just a thought. Good luck!

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I don't post much any more but there aren't too many women responding to this so I had to.

Hubby is a deputy. He rarely carries off duty which I just do not understand. I have carried for 30 years and hate it when I can't. Being female doesn't mean that you have to depend on a man to keep you safe.

Someone mentioned that he wouldn't want his woman to carry because she would react poorly if a situation got side-ways. Women respond no better or worse than a man if she has trained and really thought about different situations that she might find while going about her business. Frankly I find that comment offensive although it wasn't necessarily meant to be.

Getting a woman to be comfortable with you carrying or with carrying herself is no different than what a man has to do to become comfortable with it. Educate her, talk to her about potential situations, let her know that she is smart enough and capable of taking part in protecting not only herself but her family which includes you. If she just can't get to a point where she is really ok with it, carry and don't make a big deal out of it. In time she may come around.

It always surprises me that anyone wouldn't do what they need to to insure their personal safety and the safety of those they love or who may need their help. To me carrying is like wearing a seatbelt in the car. Sometimes it is a pain and most of the time it isn't needed but I wouldn't want to be without it when push comes to shove.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I don't post much any more but there aren't too many women responding to this so I had to.

there just aren't many of us on here in general

Being female doesn't mean that you have to depend on a man to keep you safe.

and THIS is exactly why I carry

Someone mentioned that he wouldn't want his woman to carry because she would react poorly if a situation got side-ways. Women respond no better or worse than a man if she has trained and really thought about different situations that she might find while going about her business. Frankly I find that comment offensive although it wasn't necessarily meant to be.

Men and women react to situations differently. Because we're wired differently.

It always surprises me that anyone wouldn't do what they need to to insure their personal safety and the safety of those they love or who may need their help. To me carrying is like wearing a seatbelt in the car. Sometimes it is a pain and most of the time it isn't needed but I wouldn't want to be without it when push comes to shove.

:+1:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana

:+1:[/QUOTE]

We are wired differently but I believe the differences can be overcome by training. Sometimes I think the female "wiring" works in our favor....women generally can't compete physically with men so we work harder at staying away from situations that can be dangerous. We are, in some ways, slower to anger and think more before we react. That can work in our favor or not depending on how we train. Did I mention that I think training is important????

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

:+1:

We are wired differently but I believe the differences can be overcome by training. Sometimes I think the female "wiring" works in our favor....women generally can't compete physically with men so we work harder at staying away from situations that can be dangerous. We are, in some ways, slower to anger and think more before we react. That can work in our favor or not depending on how we train. Did I mention that I think training is important????[/QUOTE]

Training is very important, I agree. I was only saying that men and women are going to react differently. NOT necessarily a bad thing though.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    My Spouse (significant other) does not currently carry but supports the fact that I do and intends to get their permit eventually

Actually she has her permit but may never carry. Not her style and she doe not get to the range much. Add to that her carpel tunnel and not a lot of hope she will someday carry regularly.

As for the other question:
    I carried for more than 6 months before I informed my wife. Granted she is not the most observant person but the fact that I was able to CC that long without her realizing it was good for both of us. I tok her out for a nice dinner and showed her my permit. When she asked "when did you get that" I answered honestly and unfolded the situation for her. She was impressed with my stealth and focus on everyone's safety. She likes that I carry and has been supportive of my giving a permit to my daughter when she turned 18. I will be doing the same for my son soon.

I owned guns when we got married and have hunted and such since I was a kid. Her family never had a gun in the house (city dwellers).

If your wife saw the statistics and was more familiar with gun safety maybe she would get on board. Mine loves shooting and even her sisters have gone shooting with us a time or two.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I'm lucky. My fiance wants to get her LTCH when she moves to Indiana and loves the idea of going to the range with me and wants to fire my AK sportster. When she saw how I was going to de-neuter it and add some tactical goodies she said if you do that I want it. heh

posttal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    My wife and I took the class together.It was a long 1 day class and they served lunch.So I told my wife I'd buy and we'll call it a date.We actually had fun and 2 weeks later I bought her a pink Taurus TCP to go with my black ruger LCP.Now shes talking about taking the advanced class to go shoot at the outdoor combat range..I think it might just be talk.since this one I'm not paying for.but all in all were having fun and go up tho the range on the weekends to put holes in paper .

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    My wife supports carry and self defense in theory... But she's startled everytime she sees me holstering up. She apparently likes the protection it affords, but wants to remain oblivious to it. Works for me.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I kept the paper target from range we went to on our first date, and it's currently hanging up in the back room of our house.

What can I say, I'm a romantic.:cool:

Top Bottom