• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Does Your Spouse (significant other) Feel About Concealed Carry?

• Total voters

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    My significant other was not a fan of me carrying when I first got my LTCH. She was almost opposed to it. After a while she got used to it being with me and now when we go anywhere she always asks if I have it because now she likes that I carry. I've tried to talk her into getting her own LTCH and a gun but she doesn't want any part of that. She does however enjoy shooting my guns and was eger to learn to shoot mine just incase something happened to me where she would need to know how to use it to defend herself/ the both of us.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My wife was born and raised in New Jersey with a family that believed all guns were bad and only criminals and cops had them. If you're not a cop you must be a criminal. She got over the whole gun issue quite some time back and is actually happythat we have some to dispatch the various varmints that invade the property (skunks, possums, stray violent dogs etc.).

She was OK with me getting the permit to carry, but she does not like when I do. I've yet to understand her reasoning behind it.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My wife used to carry all the time. Now her opinion changes daily. Maybe she's need someone to try and rob her again so she'll start carrying again.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    That is a two way street. It does not mean just do whatever your wife says.

Correct - Been married for 22 years now... I agree with that. Where bapak2ja (and I think Que, afterwards) was going was not to let any single issue screw up the whole works. I believe in marriage as a commitment forever. My wife and I happen to both agree on the need to carry. If she was strongly opposed to carrying, then she wouldn't. (Hey I am pleased that she does.) As I believe strongly that it's necessary, I certainly will.

The key is this: We are BOTH committed strongly enough to the marriage that we will spend the time to work out whatever issues and concerns we may have. WE (note the plural), arrive at decisions. That way I can't blame her and she can't blame me... there's no "I told you so" when WE are the ones that decided. Not "you" or "me". This applies to any decision of any size at all. Carrying is obviously one such decision.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The key is this: We are BOTH committed strongly enough to the marriage that we will spend the time to work out whatever issues and concerns we may have. WE (note the plural), arrive at decisions. That way I can't blame her and she can't blame me... there's no "I told you so" when WE are the ones that decided. Not "you" or "me". This applies to any decision of any size at all. Carrying is obviously one such decision.

Wife and I are the same way (except her carrying part). While she does not LIKE me carrying, she understands and respects my decision to carry. I know that part of her understands that it's my part to keep her safe and I know that she understands I would do ANYTHING to protect her.... I guess I'm her own Secret Service Body Guard with benefits.... :lol:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    When my wife and I got married nearly 7 years ago, I was uninterested in guns. I was immature at the time. However, I have evolved in to a self-proclaimed right-wing nut-job. I want to carry a gun regularly. My wife has a problem with how I've changed and she is not supportive of my wish to carry a pistol.
    How have you all dealt with similar situations? I told my wife tonight that I probably cannot articulate my feelings good enough to change her mind. I also told her she isn't "wrong" for not wanting me to carry. But, I feel like each time when I go out, I am hoping NOT to hit the unlucky lottery of being at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong ass hole.
    My wife and I are at a stalemate. What may complicate things is, I feel compelled to just carry anyway, regardless of what she thinks because I don't see either of us changing our minds, but she may begrudgingly accept it when/if I do carry. What would you do?

I saw this pole online and I thought I'd introduce something similar here.
    Spousal Support for Concealed Carry - Page 4 - Ruger Forum
    In my case I do not have spousal support and I voted in the poll accordingly.

I went through the same thing. Your story is very similar to mine. Difference is, her son is even more gung ho about guns than I am and he has helped persuade her. You don't mention her political leanings. Only reason I bring it up is that it is easier to convince someone who is conservative in their out look than someone who is liberal. In my case, my wife (and I) are very conservative and that helped. I began to show her instances where guns had saved lives and stress how important treating a gun like a tool is,and that it's not some macho icon that makes me feel big and important. I stressed how important it is to me, as the man, to do everything I can to protect her. I also stressed safety in firearms and how careful I felt I need to be to stay safe. In short, I made here understand that I realized the grave responsibility of carrying a weapon!
    Then I took her shooting. She quickly came around and now doesn't bat an eye when I carry, which is everyday, even at work. Now she wants a red and black Charter Arms .38 special for herself and even made herself a purse with a concealed pocket to carry it in! I was going get myself a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Guess that'll have to wait (sigh). I have created a monster! :rolleyes::D

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    same deal here brother, but i was able to sway my wifes thoughts on the matter by taking some time to talk to her about why it's important to me to carry. i had to change her mind that i didn't want to be a "Dirty Harry" type and take on the bad guys, but that i wanted to feel safe and feel like i could protect myself and her if the situation ever presented it's self. i also took her to the range with me and showed her how to shoot (it took a few years and a lot of talking her into it) and she came around, although she will never carry and dosent like guns she now supports my choice to CC

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    i am trying to talk my wife into getter her permit and to go to the range with me i told i would even buy her a pistol that fit her so she could learn to shoot

Top Bottom