Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Wife got a ticket last week with 3 options on the ticket:
    • plead
    • no contest
    • not guilty

What is the no contest option. How do we avoid this going on her record and jacking the insurance.

Not guilty is not an option - she was speeding

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I believe no contest is admitting guilt. Just pay it and be done with it. Won’t hurt insurance if she’s otherwise got a clean driving record.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a diversion program in some county's. You pay a bit extra and it pretty much does not ding with points etc. But you only get 1 shot at this.
    Have no idea if this is a thing up your way.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    adrienne-barbeau.jpg

How did SugarPants get a ticket? Wrong cop?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for diversion program. See if it exists in your jurisdiction. It exists in various places...

Essentially you are bribing them to not add it to your record and promising to be a good boy/girl and not do it again. But there is a catch...

Example:
    No contest, $150 fine plus points on your license.
    Diversion program, $200 fine and points are held back.(e.g. probation) As long as you dont get another tix in x years, points go away. BUT Get another speeding tix within the probationary period and you get the original points against your license PLUS points for the second tix. (and no diversion option on the 2nd tix)

Edit: And I think the diversion option is only available sometimes. Either by officer discretion or only available sometimes. (e.g. good for 10 over, but not >14 over) In the good old days, you could look at the multipart form and see if it was checked or not. Today they all seem to print out a copy of exactly what applies from a printer in the car. (with no mention of options the officer chose not to apply)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    There was a diversion program in some county's. You pay a bit extra and it pretty much does not ding with points etc. But you only get 1 shot at this.
    I think it is called the Indiana Safe Driver program. Haven't done one in years,
    Due to a glitch, I think you can do it once in each county. So 92 times if you plan your trips. :)

Edit to add. I've never tried the Kitty Slayer approach. I'll hold that in reserve.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

I believe you can check with the county clerks office to see if they have a diversion program and how to go about it. Last ticket I got was about 2005 in Elkhart county and they had it. Things may have changed in different counties since then.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Another vote for diversion program. See if it exists in your jurisdiction. It exists in various places...

Essentially you are bribing them to not add it to your record and promising to be a good boy/girl and not do it again. But there is a catch...

Example:
    Diversion program, $200 fine and points are held back.(e.g. probation) As long as you dont get another tix in x years, points go away. BUT Get another speeding tix within the probationary period and you get the original points against your license PLUS points for the second tix. (and no diversion option on the 2nd tix)

Edit: And I think the diversion option is only available sometimes. Either by officer discretion or only available sometimes. (e.g. good for 10 over, but not >14 over) In the good old days, you could look at the multipart form and see if it was checked or not. Today they all seem to print out a copy of exactly what applies from a printer in the car. (with no mention of options the officer chose not to apply)

Yep, worked just as CM said in Hendricks county. If I remember correctly you have to apply for it and the prosecutor decides whether it is approved or not.
    Looks like here's some info on Johnson County (which looks like where you are, not sure if that's where she got the ticket or not

https://johnsoncountysheriff.com/traffic-ticket-information/

Infraction Deferral « Johnson County Prosecutors Office

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Example:

"IF" you are clean as in standing points and recent issues. If you have tickets and points nope. Not gonna happen.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Many insurance companies will not raise rates for a speeding ticket unless the person has a history of ignoring the motor vehicle laws.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I got a speeding ticket in 2016 whilst hauling @$$ through the construction zone on I-65 just north of Louisville. I paid a little extra for the diversion and it never affected my insurance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used the crap out of the diversion program, until they wouldn't let me use it anymore. Paid a couple three counties that bribe money.

Been lucky in recent years. The pink paper first trick has always turned tickets into warnings.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I don't understand this reference. Explain?

I used the crap out of the diversion program, until they wouldn't let me use it anymore. Paid a couple three counties that bribe money.

Been lucky in recent years. The pink paper first trick has always turned tickets into warnings.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Correlation does not always equal causation. Try not speeding. Has always worked for me.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Some of it will depend on how fast the ticket is for. If it was 5 over they will probably be alot more willing to work with you than if it is 25 over. I very well may be wrong but believe that the diversion program is only good up to 15 over. At 16 over it's a no go.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    In my younger days you could attend a defensive driving class to get points removed. I went to that class so much I could have easily taught the class the curriculum.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

I don't understand this reference. Explain?

I believe he's saying he hands his LTCH to the officer

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I don't see the diversion option, but will have her check into the diversion option. She has a clean driving record, but was going 13 over is a school zone in Greenwood. That may be why there is no option on the ticket.

Top Bottom