Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    aren't they risking...

Indiana Code 9-18.1-4-4. Display of license plates; violation​

(b) A license plate shall be:

(1) securely fastened, in a horizontal and upright position that displays the registration expiration year in the upper right corner, to the vehicle for which the plate is issued:

(A) to prevent the license plate from swinging;

(B) at a height of at least twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the license plate; and

(C) in a place and position that are clearly visible;

(2) maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(3) not obstructed or obscured by tires, bumpers, accessories, or other opaque objects.
    The cover deal is a fine line and can be a slippy slope.
    https://www.buyradardetectors.com/blog/2019/03/state-license-plate-laws.html

Like it has been posted you see covers all the time and makes you think it is okay but most of the time really not as people are just lucky or exempt from being pulled over.

Had one friend have a cover over his plate as he is a collector and every year would get a new plate so he had a clear cover over it so it would be kept clean and nice. Was pulled over and given a ticket for obstructing the plate and had to remove it one the spot before he was allowed to go.
    Another friend was driving his moms mustang on the way back from a car show and was pulled over for the plate being obstructed. It was a clear piece that was part of the back tail/brake light cover. He did not get a ticket but was told remove of car will be towed. He had to physical break the clear section off to the LEO approval and was allowed to drive on.
    Shocking that both were in Illinois.
    Might just be up to the LEO discretion but might not be worth the gamble.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I encourage the practice of "WHEN FLASHING" zones. That makes a lot more sense.

When going from Lebanon to Whitestown there is a 55 mph zone that NO ONE slows down to 55 MPH.

My advice. A good radar detector with internet capability and WAZE. 1-3 tickets pays for the detector.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    If you think this won't get expanded to to general use after they get their foot in the door on construction sites, please let me tell you about this amazing bridge I have for sale (by owner of course so there won't be any pesky realtor fees).

Sitting atop one of its awe inspiring, gothic revival towers, provides a view of Manhattan that only the privileged few will ever get to enjoy. Take in the sights and sounds of river traffic ranging from workaday tugboats to luxury yachts, ferrying movie stars, world leaders and sports figures to exclusive destinations. All this can be.....

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    They are addressing the wrong problem.

Why do people speed in construction zones? Because of the idiots at DOT, who have ZERO regard for commuter traffic flow.

If you have miles and miles of impeding traffic flow, where obviously no construction is going on, its no wonder people just trying to get where they are going will speed up.

If construction zones weren't foolishly oversized for the actual construction being done, people would actually drive cautiously rather than wonder WTF.

If during the "construction season" DOT would actually consider traffic still has to flow and not put zones on top of each other? The same with zones in every direction in an area, especially in the detour that they sent you on. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
    I'll pile on a bit as I worked in this profession in IL. I've looked at a lot of traffic control standards in plans. IL got away from stacked zones maybe 15 years ago due to fatalities on interstates. It's mainly common sense and probability that the longer the zone, the more chance of problems. When I drive to Indy to visit family, I have no idea if construction is real or not on I70 and that's dangerous for everyone.

As for the no construction or workers in the zones....worst I've ever seen. They leave active work zone signs up (not covered or reversed) just randomly and projects that last forever with this dangerous fake work zone. It gets people hurt and killed. I have no idea how the contracts are structured, but there definitely couldn't be an exact working day contract where the Contractor is charged days based on a progress schedule for completion. Mind boggling and I guess INDOT just deals with all the extra lawsuits with no regard for the safety of the traveling public. Definitely a reflection of the upper management just not caring or incompetent.:ranton:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    They are addressing the wrong problem.

Why do people speed in construction zones? Because of the idiots at DOT, who have ZERO regard for commuter traffic flow.

If you have miles and miles of impeding traffic flow, where obviously no construction is going on, its no wonder people just trying to get where they are going will speed up.

If construction zones weren't foolishly oversized for the actual construction being done, people would actually drive cautiously rather than wonder WTF.

If during the "construction season" DOT would actually consider traffic still has to flow and not put zones on top of each other? The same with zones in every direction in an area, especially in the detour that they sent you on. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
    this, 100%

Some evidently are not familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The disregard for construction zones sometimes get workers injured or killed. My wife's friend's son was killed while working in one. Police officers trying to enforce speed limits in construction zones without creating further hazards, seems like an impossible task . What is the alternative to getting the public to slow down in construction zones? I don't have an answer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The disregard for construction zones sometimes get workers injured or killed. My wife's friend's son was killed while working in one. Police officers trying to enforce speed limits in construction zones without creating further hazards, seems like an impossible task . What is the alternative to getting the public to slow down in construction zones? I don't have an answer.
    Yep. It is a problem. On another note, sometimes the lanes get really narrow like when they’re working on bridges. Unless you’re driving a small car, a prudent driver will want to slow down to minimize the effects of that reduced margin for error. Then, there’s the drag races that you see when the traffic is approaching a construction zone. We’ve all seen it—that one slow moving RV up ahead, pulling a boat trailer, say. Who among us hasn’t sped up hoping to get in front of ”that guy”? Knowing the zone will last for umpteen miles, it’s just human nature to want to minimize the inconvenience of following some slow moving vehicle for (seemingly) hours.

I don’t have an answer either but I have to believe limiting restricted zones and minimizing construction time (as much as possible) would help.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This IS NOT totally about Worker Safety, it is for the $$'s that the STATE will receive for Ticketing ALL of You Nasty VIOLATORS. Traffic Enforcement for the MOST part is $$ Motivated. I was Never assigned to Traffic but did cite Violators when the Violation was avert, accident, Criminal, or blatant in front of my View. Radar Traffic units are Expected to Produce Tickets, that is their assignment. State did have a 20 UTT minimum per month but I have no idea how many now. I do belive its been Increased. Illegal, Probably but its Not presented that way to avoid public scrutiny and legality.
    My main objection is that the Camera is the Officer, Judge and Jury. Having No legal Court Recourse of a Judge or Jury is a non starter for me. I avoid the Interstates but this will Expand to Cameras outside the Interstate. The STATE LOVES $$'s. Research Illinois and the Blue States who live off of this type of revenue.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If they want respect for the zones and workers, they need to give respect to drivers as in BW post…

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The cover deal is a fine line and can be a slippy slope.
    https://www.buyradardetectors.com/blog/2019/03/state-license-plate-laws.html

Like it has been posted you see covers all the time and makes you think it is okay but most of the time really not as people are just lucky or exempt from being pulled over.

Had one friend have a cover over his plate as he is a collector and every year would get a new plate so he had a clear cover over it so it would be kept clean and nice. Was pulled over and given a ticket for obstructing the plate and had to remove it one the spot before he was allowed to go.
    Another friend was driving his moms mustang on the way back from a car show and was pulled over for the plate being obstructed. It was a clear piece that was part of the back tail/brake light cover. He did not get a ticket but was told remove of car will be towed. He had to physical break the clear section off to the LEO approval and was allowed to drive on.
    Shocking that both were in Illinois.
    Might just be up to the LEO discretion but might not be worth the gamble.

Well roll the dice get a red light camera ticket / speeding ticket or by chance get a warning for a cover

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Agree, but citations/tickets should be issued on a driver’s license and not a license plate.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    How do you 'confront your accuser'?

Ticket shows up at your door 3 days letter, then several more because you didn't know...
    Then what.
    When I was stationed in Germany, I zipped past a mobile speed camera one night. I had been there long enough to drive like a German, so of course I was going faster than the speed limit. The German ahead of me set it off first, I saw this huge flash of the strobe light, so I jammed on the brakes. I still set it off, but I was going much slower.

A few days later, I’m in my apartment (I lived off base) and there’s a knock at my door. I open it up and there are two (2), count them, two (2) polizisten standing there with a picture of me and my car in their hand. They were in the neighborhood collecting traffic fines. My fine turned out to be DM10, which was less than $5.00.

And I got to keep the picture. I thought about asking them to autograph it, but I didn’t know how to ask that in German.

Top Bottom