• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    NewEgg. They usually have competitive prices, have frequent sales, and I like their return policy. I bought from Tiger Direct once, but they hounded me CONSTANTLY to buy more stuff. It was worse than Omaha Steaks. They would NOT leave me alone.

The Egg lost me forever with some horrible customer service. Amazon is usually the same price, though we have sale tax to contend with now. :(

At around 15 years building PC's, I've never lost a piece of hardware yet, which I attribute to regular cleaning and using a quality UPS.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    With the amount of RAM you are wanting to run and if you are going to use Windows7, get the Pro version as the Home version only supports 16GB .
    You most likely already knew this, but just thought I would point it out though and maybe save a headache down the road ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    With the amount of RAM you are wanting to run and if you are going to use Windows7, get the Pro version as the Home version only supports 16GB .
    You most likely already knew this, but just thought I would point it out though and maybe save a headache down the road ;)

25-year IT veteran. ;)

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    The Egg lost me forever with some horrible customer service. Amazon is usually the same price, though we have sale tax to contend with now. :(

At around 15 years building PC's, I've never lost a piece of hardware yet, which I attribute to regular cleaning and using a quality UPS.

I haven't tried NewEgg, but I recently tried TigerDirect and won't be going back to them. Lied to me about the status of an ordered item for two weeks, then when I requested the item be refunded, they said "Sure, takes 2-3 buisness days." Give them the time, and not only was it not refunded, but it had been CHARGED to the credit card. Needless to say, that charge is now in dispute and I let them know on their survey how much they suck. Back to my old standbys of Amazon and Frys.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Cray can't be making a ton of money right now, they might have something. Thinking Machine? I mean, if it can't gain sentience, it's worthless as a computer.

Are you kidding? Cray's stock price has almost tripled in the last five years. Their cap is almost 1.5 billion. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Their gear is built for flat-out number crunching. It's not designed for the type of computation work that a consumer PC or server does, although they do have offerings in that area.

David Bowie?

I'm leaning towards "Executor", but I won't really know what the name is until it's built. I can't explain it but every time I build a box, a name will pop into my head right after the first POST and that's the name the box gets. My subconscious must be working on it without me knowing. Also, since I'm recycling most of the old PC, is it really a new one?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Scutter.....

Let me know what you are looking to buy before you do. I have got a business account at NewEgg and they have more specials and sales than their 'consumer' site. I'll help out if I can.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter.....

Let me know what you are looking to buy before you do. I have got a business account at NewEgg and they have more specials and sales than their 'consumer' site. I'll help out if I can.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. However, I've already ordered my parts (and I have a business account there, too). I ordered them last night and I'm super annoyed that they haven't arrived at my doorstep yet. Don't get me wrong, I like my netbook but it is absolutely not a primary computer. It's for when I'm up to my elbows in a server closet and I need a laptop that isn't 17" inches wide weighing 9lbs. I'm going through multi-screen withdrawal.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Venture Bros. rocks. But no, no relation.

VB side story: I actually met Michael Sinterniklaas a few months ago. He was paneling at a con and he. was. SPASTIC. I have my suspicions why, and you can probably guess, too.

WOW! Not THE Michael Sinterniklaas! Holy Moley! That must have been quite a big deal.....(yeah, i have no idea who that is)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WOW! Not THE Michael Sinterniklaas! Holy Moley! That must have been quite a big deal.....(yeah, i have no idea who that is)

If you were a fan of The Venture Bros. (or about a hundred other anime series), you'd know who he is. For VB fans, he's the voice of Dean Venture, and yeah, it was pretty cool to meet him.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Are you kidding? Cray's stock price has almost tripled in the last five years. Their cap is almost 1.5 billion. Anyway, it's irrelevant. Their gear is built for flat-out number crunching. It's not designed for the type of computation work that a consumer PC or server does, although they do have offerings in that area.

I'm leaning towards "Executor", but I won't really know what the name is until it's built. I can't explain it but every time I build a box, a name will pop into my head right after the first POST and that's the name the box gets. My subconscious must be working on it without me knowing. Also, since I'm recycling most of the old PC, is it really a new one?

Sounds kinda of like the Borg

Top Bottom