• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Dagnabbit! My PC (named "Sovereign") bit the wax tadpole yesterday. The stupid thing won't even POST anymore, so I'm guessing I've got a blown cap or something, although the board looks fine. I'm running on emergency netbook fumes now. :xmad: So, now I get to move my new Scuttermobile timetable up a few weeks. Luckily, I was planning on building a new rig to update the old one anyway, it's just that I'd rather have done it while the old one was still operational.

I'm going for a nice middle-of-the-road ASUS Z87 Pro with an i7-4771 CPU. The thing will take up to 32 GB of DDR3, which is a little on the light side for what I wanted, but the trade-off is a nice feature set on the board. I'll recycle Sovereign's case, optical drive, hard drives, and video for the short term. Still, board, CPU, and 16GB (to start) is going to run me somewhere north of seven bills. I'm gonna be even more annoyed if I have to sell off a rifle to pay for it. In my line of work, I can't not have a PC. I don't even have a name picked out yet!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Names are fun. I may not having anything forum appropriate, but I DO have some dandy xbl gamertags that have left their mark on my memory :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    NewEgg. They usually have competitive prices, have frequent sales, and I like their return policy. I bought from Tiger Direct once, but they hounded me CONSTANTLY to buy more stuff. It was worse than Omaha Steaks. They would NOT leave me alone.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Dagnabbit! My PC (named "Sovereign") bit the wax tadpole yesterday. The stupid thing won't even POST anymore, so I'm guessing I've got a blown cap or something, although the board looks fine. I'm running on emergency netbook fumes now. :xmad: So, now I get to move my new Scuttermobile timetable up a few weeks. Luckily, I was planning on building a new rig to update the old one anyway, it's just that I'd rather have done it while the old one was still operational.

I'm going for a nice middle-of-the-road ASUS Z87 Pro with an i7-4771 CPU. The thing will take up to 32 GB of DDR3, which is a little on the light side for what I wanted, but the trade-off is a nice feature set on the board. I'll recycle Sovereign's case, optical drive, hard drives, and video for the short term. Still, board, CPU, and 16GB (to start) is going to run me somewhere north of seven bills. I'm gonna be even more annoyed if I have to sell off a rifle to pay for it. In my line of work, I can't not have a PC. I don't even have a name picked out yet!

Wait.....What?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm sure you checked, but could it be the power supply ? Does the drive spin up ?

I have a power supply tester. It was one of the first things I checked. But yeah, it powers, it just doesn't POST. The thing has been randomly locking up for the last few weeks. I thought maybe I had a memory stick going bad. The last time I powered it off, it never POSTed again, so I'm thinking I fried the CPU.

Wait.....What?

Cap=capacitor. Usually, weird hardware issues are the result of a burst capacitor on the motherboard. I see it often enough with board manufacturers who cheap out on parts.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I have a power supply tester. It was one of the first things I checked. But yeah, it powers, it just doesn't POST. The thing has been randomly locking up for the last few weeks. I thought maybe I had a memory stick going bad. The last time I powered it off, it never POSTed again, so I'm thinking I fried the CPU.

Cap=capacitor. Usually, weird hardware issues are the result of a burst capacitor on the motherboard. I see it often enough with board manufacturers who cheap out on parts.
    does it beep at all? anything on screen? I have had success by tearing it down and rebuilding before.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    does it beep at all? anything on screen? I have had success by tearing it down and rebuilding before.

No, nothing. The drives and fans spin up and that's about it. I don't even get any video signal. This after pulling any non-essential hardware.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, but like you said, you can usually see a bulging cap on the board. Could be a protection diode let go.

Yeah, I don't see anything obvious, which is why I think it's the processor. It's certainly reached its age limit, so it's not surprising.

I'm sure you have done all the trouble shooting steps...enjoy your new computer. :)

I was planning on buying or building a new one anyway sometime in the next month or two, whenever I got around to it. I've been squirreling away some pennies against it for the last few months. I just didn't want it thrust upon me thusly.

Also, your options when buying off the shelf are:
    A) Low-end piece of crap with no upgradability, suitable for reading e-mail or playing moderate-requirement video games
    or
    B) Insanely expensive high-end gaming rig.

Seriously, I just want a mid-range box with lots of RAM that I can afford. Is that too much to ask for? I can build my own, obviously, but not necessarily by choide.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Yeah, I don't see anything obvious, which is why I think it's the processor. It's certainly reached its age limit, so it's not surprising.

I was planning on buying or building a new one anyway sometime in the next month or two, whenever I got around to it. I've been squirreling away some pennies against it for the last few months. I just didn't want it thrust upon me thusly.

Also, your options when buying off the shelf are:
    A) Low-end piece of crap with no upgradability, suitable for reading e-mail or playing moderate-requirement video games
    or
    B) Insanely expensive high-end gaming rig.

Seriously, I just want a mid-range box with lots of RAM that I can afford. Is that too much to ask for? I can build my own, obviously, but not necessarily by choide.

or you can have one built to your specs by the major manufacturers and pay even more. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    or you can have one built to your specs by the major manufacturers and pay even more. :D

Anymore, I'm not sure any of the major manufacturers aren't building crap. They all seem to be exiting the PC biz as fast as possible.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Anymore, I'm not sure any of the major manufacturers aren't building crap. They all seem to be exiting the PC biz as fast as possible.

Does HP still build to customer specs? A few years ago I checked them out and couldn't have built 2 computers that were equal for what they want for one

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One last thing to try. Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Yeah, still no POST. I don't have another Athlon or I'd pull the proc and swap it. On the plus side, I think the drives are all intact, so at least I shouldn't lose anything.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My condolences. I love Newegg and I love Asus. I built mine I dont know how many years ago but not a problem with it since. Would like to build a new one but no need because I am sure I am not doing what you are doing. I mean I can't cut grass with a computer :):

Top Bottom