• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just wanted to throw this out for anyone in the South Bend area...A friend and I have started a training group. We have a gym with mats on the floor, and can access it in the evenings. People always talk about wanting to do some training, and here is your chance. No ego, not looking to hurt people, just looking to learn more. Very cost effective, good guys, all with the same goals. We'll change our topics each time depending on who shows up and what everyone wants to work on. Here is the ideas we have at this time, and I'll link a flyer at the end although we're having a graphic designer (also member of the group) designing a nicer one that I'll post later.

Description: This isn't so much an instructor led class as it is freeform learning. We will teach you what we know, and you can teach us what you know. We will learn to be more effective at self defense using an integrated or mixed approach by practicing and learning together through multiple disciplines. We'll do different topics every night, and would like to bring in people to teach fundamentals of different topics like boxing, wrestling, etc.

Topics Included: -Mixed Martial Arts (Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Kickboxing, Karate, Judo, and more)
    - Knife, guns, sticks, in-fight weapon access, Weapons Based Environment considerations
    - Verbal Techniques
    - Anything else you can think of

Cost / Times: $5 per session for the space rental. Every Tuesday at 7:30, more times per week to follow. Not in this to make money, all extra money will go for different and useful equipment for training. Contact if interested.

Location: The Fit Club. On Highway 2 between Mayflower and Bypass. The Fit Club 23982 St. Rd. 2 South Bend, IN 46619

What to wear / bring: Any training gear you have (pads, gloves, training, training weapons, etc. Shorts and t-shirt are fine. Kneepads, mouthguard, and long sleeve synthetic shirt / rashguard are a plus. Cup is highly recommended.

Mindset: Come ready to learn from others, or teach what you know. Training and light sparring with no injuries is the goal. Do not show up if you just want to fight, this isn't UFC training.

Flyer: Click Here

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Last update unless there are questions, etc. Still going, up to 6 people now with different numbers each time depending on schedule. Updated flyer below.

mmaflyer.jpg

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Good question. Only a few months of rolling for a few of us, none on the rest. Essentially we're learning the moves by watching videos, DVDs, books, etc then drilling them until we can do them under pressure. Its working pretty well actually. It's really tough to learn things from watching videos but as long as you go work it right after you can learn and retain them. I've rolled relatively little with real people from a real school. This is why the "class" isn't really taught by me or my main partner, it's more free-form. We can teach you all the techniques we know and use...but nothing else. We make no money from this and don't hide the fact that we're not belted instructors. I can guarantee that we are learning real BJJ moves even though there aren't instructors here. I would love to get someone belted to come in and help us learn more. My goal is to get a real BJJ guy, real Boxing guy, judo, etc who will come in and show us things. Problem is they would have to do it out of the goodness of their heart. For now we learn where we can (books, videos, etc.) and then drill till we get them down. We're doing "street Judo" from a book and I would say 50% of the techniques can be learned and used relatively if you are willing to put in the practice.

Regarding the sparring, we do different things. We'll put on protective gear and spar at 50% to work techniques, we'll do sparring at 30% for periods to work conditioning, or we'll gear up and go 90% for short bursts if we want to pressure test a technique. My goal is to learn things that work against a resisting opponent. And to learn those techniques without getting injured if at all possible. We will "roll" toward the end letting go a little harder, while earlier in practice we may do drills with tennis balls, rolling at 30% just to work positions, etc. We're going to be there tonight at 6:30 if you are interested. Should be 3 for sure, perhaps 5 of us.

I go to "practice" from a self defense mindset while 2 of the other guys actually want to fight some day in MMA. So a technique I use to do a takedown and step away they may use the takedown to fall into a ground position. Just different mindsets, but we're both learning.

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just wanted to re-up this as the 2012 goals reminded me and its been 4 months or so. We're still going and have a few more people at this point. This last Saturday we had a pretty high level guy come in and give us some instruction with the goal of refocusing our efforts for the next year or so. We had begun to slip in a few things we were doing and he helped us to keep straight on our goals. We've got some new learning material regarding all aspects of clinching (wrestling, muay thai, etc) which we'll combine with the information from the seminar this weekend to hopefully make big strides in the coming year. If any of you are in the Michiana / South Bend area and want to get into the arena of combatives but aren't really sure where to start, please get ahold of me. We're a free-form group and its dirt cheap to practice. If nothing else maybe it would be worth stopping by and watching for a bit and see if its something you would be interested in pursuing.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Hope the seminar went well. Sorry I had to bail. It was my loss for sure.

JD is a good guy and if anyone is the the area and looking for a little extra knowledge and training, I encourage you to check them out.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Bumping this again about a year later. We've moved locations to Kodiak Gun Range in South Bend. Most of the guys in this area know where that is. I helped the owner of Kodiak secure a padded gymnastics floor for the basement and it's working great. We've got more people training with us now and encourage anyone interested to come by and see what we're about. Contact me either through the website (SouthBendSD.com) or here on INGO for more information.

If you're curious how to fit together skills in the areas of pistol, knife, in-fight weapon access, verbal, striking, clinching, and ground fighting, then you'll fit right in with our group. We've been meeting Wednesdays but each week is a little different to fit around the schedule of classes at Kodiak. We're always looking for more people to be training partners and learn from us as well as people who are at a higher level in some of these areas who can help us get better.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great job putting this together Josh. Wish there was something like this in Indy.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Great job putting this together Josh. Wish there was something like this in Indy.

Too bad we didn't get Josh to the H2H class in Rochester. You guys met at one of Shay's classes though didn't you?

Anyone in the South Bend area that is interested in this stuff, Josh is a great guy to deal with and a serious student of the Martial way.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks guys.

There are some threads over on Craig's forum about how I got things going, but if someone wants to do the same in another area I'm willing to help out. It's pretty easy actually.

Too bad we didn't get Josh to the H2H class in Rochester.
    I'd have liked to make it to that one. I'll see if I can't get to the next one.

Top Bottom