• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    You might be getting too old for that much fun. Don't want to have a heart attack. The reload is slow, think of all the time you will waste out of the house. It's probably bad for you to breath in all that authentic western smoke. And they take more time to clean. I hang on to a few so guys like you won't have to suffer as I have. And black powder is getting hard to find. And caps ... Takes time away from your other guns. Other reasons not to get one too numerous to remember.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    1858 Rem is my preference. The cylinder swap reload isn't quite as awesome as it seems, but you can get one in before it's gunked up enough to need tools.

Cap and ball is fun and accessible. 3F pyrodex is easy to find. Caps not so much, but they do last a while.

bgcatty

Master
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Just what you need; another extension of your gun hobby into which you can dump tons of disposable or non-disposable income and have even more fun and games! Best of luck! :wavey:

freekforge

Master
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I remember another member here who used to actually carry a BP revolver. He said it was because it was exempt from having to get a carry permit. I believe his member name was Kur. Of course, none of that matters now that Indiana went to Constitutional carry. I think he eventually went to carrying a more modern pistol.

Not that it has anything to do with whether or not you should get one, but it was an interesting topic for quite a while back then.
    I used to carry an 1858 new army cut down to
    3 5/8" . I shot, cleaned and reloaded it every Thursday. Properly sized caps and ball and no lube and never had an issue with it even when I slipped into the river for a split second it still went off. once I got my ltch I started carrying a modern gun.

Ic 35-47-2-19 was the relevant code at the time.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Please talk me out of it. I have close to 1000 lb of clean lead and it seems like a good route to go. Thoughts?

WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!...You and the rest of the enablers on here have managed to successfully get me seriously wanting a Colt 1860 BP. Hope you are all very happy by what you have done. I was just minding my own business then I saw this thread and answered it earlier and now I cannot shake the idea. Thanks a lot!!!;)

Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!...You and the rest of the enablers on here have managed to successfully get me seriously wanting a Colt 1860 BP. Hope you are all very happy by what you have done. I was just minding my own business then I saw this thread and answered it earlier and now I cannot shake the idea. Thanks a lot!!!;)
    sas-evil.gif

Donovan48

Plinker
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    Everybody here is thinking cap and ball revolvers. I got started on them back in the 70s when building them from kits was popular. You can load 45 Colt and 38 special brass with black power or Pyrodex and have the best of both worlds. Just don't be in a hurry to handle the brass right after firing. Gets hot.

Donovan48

Plinker
    Jun 24, 2022
    Tippecanoe County
    There is a safety concern when loading BP into 45 Colt or 38 special cases, though. While smokeless powder is safe with an air space between the charge and the base of the bullet, black powder IS NOT. Black powder is not safe unless the case is full. Check out this video on

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    When I was shooting competitive round ball black powder - Rifle and pistol -- Many meets ruled only one round in a revolver due the possibility of multiple ignitions. My go to was a Thompson Center Patriot pistol --45Cal -- Adjustable sights --set trigger -- 1 1/2# release.

Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Weellll Matthew...... I Think ya need a new shootin iron.

Attachments

• MV5BMTU0Mjk4MzYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1MzcxOA@@._V1_.jpg
      MV5BMTU0Mjk4MzYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1MzcxOA@@._V1_.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom