• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    I work with solid surface quite a bit. I don't use it for the usual installations, I use it for hobby stuff. It's really easy to work with, but different brands have different qualities. I have over two tons of it in my garage.
    I have thought about making a shower surround and engraving an image that wraps around all three panels and color filling it with epoxy before installing it. I just haven't found the time.
    The nice thing about solid surface is, if it gets scratched or stained, it's easy to sand it out and refinish it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can't quote everybody, thanks for all of the responses!!! I really do value all of the input... er, well maybe not so much the jokes (I've been told I married up so I'm ok showering with my wife!!) but that's ok.

If you can get Corian™, Go for It! A Corian Fabricator can make you a shower Pan, shelves etc. It a very easy material to work with.
    I didn't even realize it was an option for a shower until I few days ago. I asked my uncle, who makes corian counter-tops as a side job and he has never done a shower... he offered me some free tile instead...
    When we built we did a walk-in shower using "engineered stone" from these guys - Agean Engineered Stone, Showers, Tubs, Vanity Tops and Accessories
    Thanks for the link! If I can get my wife talked into solid surface it will definitely have to be textured like real stone or she won't like it... "her bathroom" is one place where she isn't so willing to compromise the expensive tastes...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the link! If I can get my wife talked into solid surface it will definitely have to be textured like real stone or she won't like it... "her bathroom" is one place where she isn't so willing to compromise the expensive tastes...

That product is really just like cultured marble if not exactly like it. It is easy to maintain, but will not meet the needs of a high end bathroom. Not knocking it, but it is what it is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dude, I just noticed you are in Bedford. Why not limestone? I heard you guys build EVERYTHING out of limestone down there.

After all, its cheap. My company built an office down there and they abandoned the usual stonework they use because being so close to the quarry/processors, it was half the cost of the usual stuff.

:):

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    That product is really just like cultured marble if not exactly like it. It is easy to maintain, but will not meet the needs of a high end bathroom. Not knocking it, but it is what it is.

This.

It's a smooth material - not textured. They can do a bunch of different colors/patterns/styles, but like gregkl said it's not for a million $ bathroom. Functional and decent looking - yes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This.

It's a smooth material - not textured. They can do a bunch of different colors/patterns/styles, but like gregkl said it's not for a million $ bathroom. Functional and decent looking - yes.
    I assumed he meant "patterned" where he said textured. Smooth is ideal.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I assumed he meant "patterned" where he said textured. Smooth is ideal.

Nope, definitely textured, that was the direct "order" from the misses... only way solid surface will work is if it's textured like tile. They do make it. I guess there are some companies that have set up to make entire panels that appear like tile, grout lines included. I realize completely smooth is ideal but if the acceptable options (in my wife's eyes) are tile or solid surface that looks like tile I still think solid surface is superior...

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We remodeled our baths a couple years ago. We used large tile for the walls and a shower pan. Instead of doors, we have a large piece of glass. We use a squeegee on the glass and a chamois on the tile after every shower. It really helps keep it clean, and only takes 30 seconds. In my son's bath, we used tile that looks like wood on the walls, with a normal bath tub.

Since no one has suggested a shower head, I will say go Hansgrohe. Yes, it's expensive, but worth it, imho. I balked at the price when my wife showed me, but I am now a shower snob (if there is such a thing). Now, when I shower somewhere else, I feel I can't get "wet," it feels that the water just bounces off. With the Hansgrohe, I get drenched quickly. Hard to explain I suppose, but if you're going for "high-end" it's worth a look.

Bathroom faucets, shower heads & kitchen faucets | Hansgrohe US

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We remodeled our baths a couple years ago. We used large tile for the walls and a shower pan. Instead of doors, we have a large piece of glass. We use a squeegee on the glass and a chamois on the tile after every shower. It really helps keep it clean, and only takes 30 seconds. In my son's bath, we used tile that looks like wood on the walls, with a normal bath tub.

Since no one has suggested a shower head, I will say go Hansgrohe. Yes, it's expensive, but worth it, imho. I balked at the price when my wife showed me, but I am now a shower snob (if there is such a thing). Now, when I shower somewhere else, I feel I can't get "wet," it feels that the water just bounces off. With the Hansgrohe, I get drenched quickly. Hard to explain I suppose, but if you're going for "high-end" it's worth a look.

Bathroom faucets, shower heads & kitchen faucets | Hansgrohe US

What model(s) did you buy? Do you have the Airpower versions?

Top Bottom