• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I will be doing a bathroom remodel sometime in the near future (within a year or so). Looking for something middle to high-end.

No fiberglass or fiberglass-like pans or wall panels. Seriously considering solid surface (Corian etc). I know it will be more costly but it seems to be superior to everything else. Just doing my due diligence to get input from others.

FWIW shower will be a larger neo-angle shape with 2 shower heads...

ETA, the more diy friendly the better. I may be able to get corian wall panels done very cheap from my uncle but I would still have to buy the pan.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have you thought about tile? You can buy a Schluter pan system that you can self install if you are pretty handy. Then tile the floor and walls in your choice of tiles. I think tiles are DIY friendly. They are just kinda slow to install and finish.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you thought about tile? You can buy a Schluter pan system that you can self install if you are pretty handy. Then tile the floor and walls in your choice of tiles. I think tiles are DIY friendly. They are just kinda slow to install and finish.

Another vote for tile. Ive done it and its easy. time consuming. but if you buy the spacers its cake and isnt hard to do. I extended the backsplash of my kitchen and it wasnt hard at all. and if you want a faster install, choose larger tiles.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I did consider tile. I've done a fair amount of research because "tile shower" is what I thought I wanted. But tile, even with a Schluter/kerdi system is maintenance intensive if you want to ensure it doesn't develop water leaks over time. You're supposed to reseal the grout once or twice a year, while tile is mildew resistant the grout is not and many recommend squeegee/wiping down after you're done with your shower. Who wants to squeegee their shower every time they use it?

I just learned of the solid-surface shower option and was wondering what else I could be missing. Solid-surface can be had in tile-looking wall panels so you get the benefits of both, and cost is about the same as tile.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^ All good points. I personally wouldn't worry about resealing the grout. In my experience sealing it is for keeping it from staining, not leaking. I now use dark grout only so it won't show dirt/stains. Though I am seriously considering using acrylic or something similar for the pan and just tile the walls.

As far as wiping down the shower, though I'm not doing it now(showers are all pre-reno right not), when I am finished renovating them, I will wipe them down each time whether I use solid panels or tile. If you do that, you virtually never have to clean it. I'd rather invest 2.5 minutes each day than a larger chunk of time periodically to scrub soap scum and the like off the shower.

Plus, for me the biggest culprit to show scum, spots, etc will be the glass shower doors and I hate cleaning those. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Who wants to squeegee their shower every time they use it?
    Not my wife. :xmad:

She leaves the bench covered in soap foam.

Our current shower is soapstone without any grout.

Features to consider:
    Many shower heads. It's relatively easy to plumb and heads aren't that expensive. Of course, drilling holes do suck...
    Thermostatic valve. Set the temperature once, and never have to readjust. I honestly don't know why these haven't caught on in America. I'm sick of having to turn it to hot to get warm quickly, then having to find the right spot on the dial where it's comfortable. Each day that spot is different based on the temps coming in. With thermostatic, just turn it on. Hansgrohe is what I installed in my old bathroom with three Danze heads on the wall and one Moen (or was it Delta?) rain pan overhead.

That old shower was sheets of small ceramic tile. I will never work with ceramic again...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I built my shower out of granite tile (4 foot by 6 foot) using the Schluter system. I used epoxy based grout so I wouldn't have to seal the grout. Over five years later, it still looks like new. With that being said, I'd do solid surface before I ever did tile again - too much work!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I built my shower out of granite tile (4 foot by 6 foot) using the Schluter system. I used epoxy based grout so I wouldn't have to seal the grout. Over five years later, it still looks like new. With that being said, I'd do solid surface before I ever did tile again - too much work!

How thick was the granite? Heavy? I've got time to think about how I'm going to do my baths, but I'm definitely looking for low maintenance. I like solid surface but am also thinking about large format tile for few grout lines.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My shower has stainless steel walls and ceiling. Really like it and very low maintenance for my cleaning lady (wife).

I found a nice shower head that I could pop the water saving device out of so I could get enough water flow to rinse my hair with.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How thick was the granite? Heavy? I've got time to think about how I'm going to do my baths, but I'm definitely looking for low maintenance. I like solid surface but am also thinking about large format tile for few grout lines.

3/8 inch 12x12 tile squares. It's not too heavy per single tile, but it adds up.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Shower Suggestions????

I would recommend Elle McPherson, But depending on your age you may prefer a different vintage...Maybe Jessica Alba or Kate Upton....

(Hey, it's INGO, you had to know this thread would get derailed.....)

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    When we built we did a walk-in shower using "engineered stone" from these guys - Agean Engineered Stone, Showers, Tubs, Vanity Tops and Accessories

One piece floor, then full sheets for the walls. Went with top of the line GE silicone caulk for the joints and 3+ years later only had mold in one little spot due to bad installation. Simple to maintain and keep soap scum/mold free. I'll never do tile showers again!

Did a bench seat on one end and a corner soap/shampoo shelf to hold Mrs G's hair products.

Supreme_KB_White_10.1oz_M90007_84x345.png

Top Bottom