So your gunshot incapacitated the perp, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    On a more serious note...

Those of you have stated that you would back off and await for the Police and Medics to arrive, often with the understanding that it will be 10+ minutes before they arrive, how are you going to deal with a person laying there bleeding out and making a lot of noise?!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Those of you have stated that you would back off and await for the Police and Medics to arrive, often with the understanding that it will be 10+ minutes before they arrive, how are you going to deal with a person laying there bleeding out and making a lot of noise?!

You don't keep ear protection in your vehicle?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My ears would still be ringing...

On a more serious note, I have seen and heard far worse things in my life. I'm sure the perp lying there would be the least of my worries.

I wonder for the lawyers in here though, since I am a medical professional am I legally obligated to offer help? Or can I safely wait for medics?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Here's my thought.

If I HAD to pull my gun out, and protect my life and/or my family's life, I'm going to be so "worked up", adrenaline pumping, not thinking straight, etc....

MY main concern will be my family, not the BG laying, bleeding.

If it was just me, I think the first thing I'd want to do is sit down, and breathe, try to calm down.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

The fix all, DUCT TAPE! :D

recon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Lafayette
    Read recon's post again. In this context, it's a guy breaking in. Not a guy robbing you at gunpoint. You FELT in fear of your life so you shot him. That doesn't mean your life IS in danger, just that you FELT it to be and acted on that belief.

If the person turns out to be your drunk neighbor you've known for 30 years, does that change anything? Not in recon's world which is why I take issue. Just because you felt threatened doesn't mean that perception will continue after you have incapacitated them.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I'm not saying that someone coming into my house is automatically getting killed. I never even gave a specific scenario. I'm not looking for an excuse to shoot someone. What I meant was, if I make the decision to pull the trigger, that is a decision to end someone's life. I'm not going to try to save the person that clearly was threatening my life. They made the decision for me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My ears would still be ringing...

On a more serious note, I have seen and heard far worse things in my life. I'm sure the perp lying there would be the least of my worries.

I wonder for the lawyers in here though, since I am a medical professional am I legally obligated to offer help? Or can I safely wait for medics?

Im not a lawyer but I would imagine you are not obligated to provide help if you think the situation is not safe for you.
    It's not like you would be ignoring an old lady having an heart attack in the street.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Ask him to be quiet? If he didn't want to be there bleeding out and making a lot of noise he should have went into another profession.

Every noise he makes I'll just chalk it up to a reminder note to himself that he should not go around making people in fear of their lives. I'll also use it as a reminder note to myself that he did put me in fear for my life and that could be me or my wife on the ground making those noises. Amazing how that puts other happenings around you in in their proper perspective.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    1. Im not a medic, dr, etc. So I am not doing anything for him. He may have an STD, he may still be a treat if I get close, etc.
    2. If its a situtation that I have to shoot someone...I am not just going to shoot once, and hopefully my shot placement is enough to make the "process" go quickly. Don't want to take chances.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If I were in this situation, I would keep my distance from the BG. I would call 911 first thing after the threat was controlled and let them handle it. I wouldnt feel comfortable getting up close with the BG.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Note to everyone...carry some plastic gloves somewhere. If there is anything that I use on my belt the most, it is gloves. Not leather or cotton but surgical gloves.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Good for you.

I teach if you have to shoot the Bastage, then just like shooting any Animal you shoot to kill the Bastage... :popcorn:

Right...and when I'm on the stand and I can honestly say that my intention wasn't to kill, it was to stop the threat. The only reason I used lethal force was to stop the threat against my family and/or me. Unfortunately, the threat wasn't stopped until the subject died.

You don't ever want to be on the stand (criminal or civil trial) and say that you shot to kill (or have it placed into evidence that somewhere on the internet or to a friend you announced that it was your intention to kill someone when you shot them). You put YOUR life (as you know it) at risk by doing that...

Yes, I understand that a persons life can be taken when I use lethal force, however, my only intention is to stop the threat.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Right...and when I'm on the stand and I can honestly say that my intention wasn't to kill, it was to stop the threat. The only reason I used lethal force was to stop the threat against my family and/or me. Unfortunately, the threat wasn't stopped until the subject died.

You don't ever want to be on the stand (criminal or civil trial) and say that you shot to kill (or have it placed into evidence that somewhere on the internet or to a friend you announced that it was your intention to kill someone when you shot them). You put YOUR life (as you know it) at risk by doing that...

Yes, I understand that a persons life can be taken when I use lethal force, however, my only intention is to stop the threat.
    So you are saying it is much better to state that you meant to maim them...

Top Bottom