So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZebLocke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2013
    Anderson
    Are you at all nervous decapping live primers?
    yes. i put on safety glasses and a welding hood to do those. i know i could de-energize them (to a degree, out of curiosity ive soaked some in gasoline, pb blaster, motor oil etc... but a few still popped when struck with a hammer) but the risk is one im willing to take to salvage them.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Custom .45 ACP shotshells made from .308 rifle brass, cut down, stepped down with a .41 magnum sizing die, loaded with Unique and a cut down .410 shot shell wad with 9 hard shot and capped with a gas check using a .38/.357 sizing die. Lots of steps but really fun to shoot! Awesome pest loads.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Question for the group. I was moving some Remington Golden Sabre .40 S&W 165gr ammo (not reloads) to some ammo storage boxes and came across this on one round. I don’t plan to fire it, but what do you think happened? A pair of primers got smushed during manufacturing where one should have gone, or was one installed sideways, or something else?

5620EB8E-98D6-42D8-99A8-95224D16C74D.jpeg

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Question for the group. I was moving some Remington Golden Sabre .40 S&W 165gr ammo (not reloads) to some ammo storage boxes and came across this on one round. I don’t plan to fire it, but what do you think happened? A pair of primers got smushed during manufacturing where one should have gone, or was one installed sideways, or something else?

View attachment 124681
    Looks like sideways to me. Have done that myself reloading. Even a hand primer inserted will crush one. Hard to detect on progressive or automated equipment.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Pull the bullet and then run it through the decapper. It happens to me every once in a while. It'll wake you up if it goes off in the decapper. Only had that happen once.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

View attachment 124681
    It also looks like there is media stuck in there as well. I'd send this picture to Remington and get a rma send in get x amount of new ammo. That should have been caught at quality control. Oh thats right it's Remington nm.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    It also looks like there is media stuck in there as well. I'd send this picture to Remington and get a rma send in get x amount of new ammo. That should have been caught at quality control. Oh thats right it's Remington nm.
    Nice idea, but since I haven’t bought any new .40 ammo in at least a decade, the chances that Remington would glean anything from reviewing an old error seem pretty low. I can check the rest of my GS stock and if any more like that are found I may contact them with lot numbers and photos to see what they’re willing to do, but I doubt there are any more in my possession since this is the first one I’ve ever seen like this.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    finished prepping 3500 223 brass last night, all once fired, took a little longer since i had to remove primer crimps, will start loading this evening, majority will be 55 gr fmj, then about 1,000 62 gr sp.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    I'm presently setting up for match 308 loads. After decapping, trimming, and sizing they go through the tumbler. Then weighed and separated into groups and then they get flash hole standardized, primer pocket cleaned and standardized and chamfer the inside and outside of the neck. I know it's not going to be Lapua, but I'm just playing with range pickup to see how accurate I can get with it. If there's anything conclusive I'll post about it, but it likely won't be for a while with the cold and I'm waiting for an optic for my scar.
    Loads will be using 175gr SMK and likely IMR 4064. I'm also experimenting with magnum primers (CCI #250) while I'm working up load data. From my understanding they preform better in cold and in general provide more consistent ignition. And yes, I know they will likely alter the pressure and amount of powder needed. I've already used magnum primers in experiments with things as small as 9mm successfully, I would advise against new loaders doing this if any of them are reading (follow the book). If anyone has any experience with magnum primers for non magnum rifle cartridges please feel free to drop that below as information and experience is always welcomed.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    9mm tonight. 5.56 last week or so. Need to finish trimming and reaming about 4000 5.56 brass. Should have bought a swager when I had a better job. Ain't hapnin now.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Working on more .44 Magnum, getting closer to finding the best loads for each Magnum powder. I have Xtreme bullets and Berry's at the moment and they are rated at 1200 fps and 1250 fps respectively. Anyone ever load these bullets past their "max" velocity? I'm wondering if going over...100 or so fps will actually show obvious deterioration in accuracy at close, typical handgun shooting distances.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Custom .45 ACP shotshells made from .308 rifle brass, cut down, stepped down with a .41 magnum sizing die, loaded with Unique and a cut down .410 shot shell wad with 9 hard shot and capped with a gas check using a .38/.357 sizing die. Lots of steps but really fun to shoot! Awesome pest loads.
    I have several pounds of old Winchester number 10 shot. Would be good for that.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I have several pounds of old Winchester number 10 shot. Would be good for that.
    Yes 10 would up the pellet count for sure. Trade off for pellet energy over distance. I actually have #12 shot, same as used in .22 shotshells that I could load up. Would be great for shooting carpenter bees!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    not reloading, got some time off for the beer flu so im pulling bullets and de-capping 11 years of "oopsies"

powder will go on the lawn, bullets will go in the rendering pot and primers will go for wax bullets.
    1bb2c53ce468b11ea52051185d3d8efc.jpg

Damn, Feller==You make a lot of mistakes?? HA.HA..???
    I have a Cigar box full and thought that I had a lot of them??
    Mine is over 40+ years of reloading...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    yes. i put on safety glasses and a welding hood to do those. i know i could de-energize them (to a degree, out of curiosity ive soaked some in gasoline, pb blaster, motor oil etc... but a few still popped when struck with a hammer) but the risk is one im willing to take to salvage them.

If you just "Push" out those live primers, with a Universal Decap Die, you will be fine..
    I can NOT recall ever having one go off??
    NOW (50 or so years ago) the Lee Loader was another story-On seating primers..??HA. HA...My butt still "Puckers" when I think of how I got started into this Hobby??..Bill.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    I just obtained a Lee hand press, still need to get primers, powder and bullets. Worst comes to worst I might need to fire round ball with black powder from a tokarev :P

Top Bottom