• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    So over labor day weekend, I went to go zero in my Remington 798 30-06 at Atterbury. It was a wet time. And wasn't any good. It was the first time I had shot anything that size before, and anything with a scope.

I had gone by myself, and had a heck of a time hitting the paper. I was all over the place. But then after about 20 rounds or so, I had noticed that the screws holding the back loop on the scope had come loose. I orgionally thought they came out due to my not putting any lock-tight on the threads. But found out that it was due to the screws being too short. They popped right out.

So after finding better fitting screws, and remounting the scope, I headed back to the range yesterday. Luckly my dad was in town, so I brought him to the range with me to spot where my shots were hitting, because if they didn't hit the paper, I couldn't tell.

So i get all settled in at the 50 yard lane, take a breath, let it out, hold, and fired, (mind you, without the assistance of a lead sled or sandbags). I look back at my dad who's looking through the binoculars, and tells me I'm low right. He hands me the binoculars, wondering what I'm looking for, because I can't be on the paper, right? Wrong. I was 1 inch down, 7 inches right. WHAT?

To make sure I didn't jerk, I took another shot. Again he tells me I'm in the same spot. I take a look, and again, big grin on my face. I hit my previous hole just about a 1/4 inch out of the the hole. I line up again for my 3rd shot to get a constant, and low and behold, I was less than an inch from hitting the previous 2 shots.

I made some adjustments, and fired a few more rounds, making adjustments along the way. And within the 20 minutes from cease fire to cease fire, I was pretty happy with getting it zeroed in at 50 yards. Now to move on to the 100 yard range.

I set up some blank paper, and then two pieces with targets on them. I aim for the left target first. And boy, I noticed the shaking a lot more. Holding a rifle with only your arms, while looking through a scope at a target the size of dime 100 yards down range is not as easy as Call of Duty makes it look.

I take my time and fire. Thinking that I would be way off, I asked my dad how far off I am. He tells me I'm right there. Right where? I look, and I'm just a half inch low right from the target. Are you freaking kidding me? THIS GUN IS AWESOME! So I line up for the right target, and I hit in about the same area. (as seen in the photo).

Now I know the gun is pretty accurate, and I start firing more freely. And ALL of my shots hit within the 8x8in target, except for a couple where I knew I jerked the trigger anticipating the recoil.

Not only was I impressed with how accurate I was shooting, I was proud that I was able to mount the scope myself, and get it dialed in. This was a first. Never have I shot anything like this before. And afterwards, dad said he noticed the majority of others shooting were using leadsleds or sandbags, and he was impressed that I was able to hit the target that well holding freehand.

Now to move up to something further away. Would love to test out the max of the scope. It's supposed to be accurate up to 600 yards. Anywhere in Indy that can handle that?

Like a kid, I'm posting my targets to the fridgerator to show off my work from my first 100 yards. :)

202731_10152091440130654_1932674778_o.jpg

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Great job,I didn't realize remington was importing a 98 mauser type action untill I read your first thread about mounting a scope.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Good job Woody24. I spent the day on a simuliar quest. I rechecked the sighting on my AR15 at 100 and 200 yards. That went well till I tried to scope my Mini 14 The 4th shot knocked the redical loose :-( Bushnell Banner new out of the box. It goes back (POS)tomorrow! Hopefully my next trip goes as well as yours!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I think my next purchase will be a rifle as I am a beginner on owning/shooting them.

Rifles are fun but are addictive :-) Start simple with a .22 maybe. Lots of options. I favor the Ruger 10-22 as a semi auto starter. But there are a lot of single shot bolt options as well. I am sure many will chime in with favorities.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Rifles are fun but are addictive :-) Start simple with a .22 maybe. Lots of options. I favor the Ruger 10-22 as a semi auto starter. But there are a lot of single shot bolt options as well. I am sure many will chime in with favorities.

Mine is a bolt-action. I got it to slow down my shooting and to take my time. I've always thought if I was born in the WWII era, I'd either want to be a sniper or fighter pilot.

But I found this Remington 798 30-06 used at Gander Mt. for $400. I looked it over good, and determined that it probably hadn't been fired much at all. Near perfect condition.

And I was looking at the Winchester Model 70 30-06 before this. But since this was much cheaper, I went with it instead.

I had originally started looking at .22's. But then decided that I probably won't make it to the range a whole lot throughout the year, so I wanted something a little more "realistic". And in an hours time, I went through about 20 rounds. And I have found boxes of 30-06 for $15. So to me, I'd rather shoot something with a little more kick, take my time, and savior it a little more, than just blow through as many .22's as I can.

But its all user preference, and how much to spend. My 3-5 trips a year isn't going to break the bank if I spend 2 hours at the range.

But one thing I noticed was that Atterbury needs to put up dividers between rifles. I was pelted by a guy shooting some larger caliber semi-auto rifle. Was getting pelted in the face, and even the trigger hand while I was trying to line up shots. I had to stop and wait for him to get done. Getting hit in the hand could have caused me to jerk and pull the trigger prematurely.

mmills63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Shelbyville, IN.
    Thanks for insight on rifles. I will keep these comments in mind but in no way was I trying to take over thread. Again sounds fun sighting in rifle and congrats !!!!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    But I found this Remington 798 30-06 used at Gander Mt. for $400. I looked it over good, and determined that it probably hadn't been fired much at all. Near perfect condition..

This is an outstanding find. I would say needle in the haystack. You did good! The Mauser action is well known for its inherent accuracy.

But one thing I noticed was that Atterbury needs to put up dividers between rifles. I was pelted by a guy shooting some larger caliber semi-auto rifle. Was getting pelted in the face, and even the trigger hand while I was trying to line up shots. I had to stop and wait for him to get done. Getting hit in the hand could have caused me to jerk and pull the trigger prematurely.

Get used to it. It's good training for you to stay focused on target & ignore distractions. Wait until you get one down the back of your shirt collar!! Been there, done that. Wifey thought it was a hickey.. :rolleyes:

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Wait until you get one down the back of your shirt collar!! Been there, done that. Wifey thought it was a hickey.. :rolleyes:

Over the labor day visit, I shot my pistol too. I had one of my shells bounce off the divider and land inside of my elbow. Didn't just bounce off my arm, it stayed put. So yeah, I know what that feels like.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Mine is a bolt-action. I got it to slow down my shooting and to take my time. I've always thought if I was born in the WWII era, I'd either want to be a sniper or fighter pilot.

But I found this Remington 798 30-06 used at Gander Mt. for $400. I looked it over good, and determined that it probably hadn't been fired much at all. Near perfect condition.

And I was looking at the Winchester Model 70 30-06 before this. But since this was much cheaper, I went with it instead.

I had originally started looking at .22's. But then decided that I probably won't make it to the range a whole lot throughout the year, so I wanted something a little more "realistic". And in an hours time, I went through about 20 rounds. And I have found boxes of 30-06 for $15. So to me, I'd rather shoot something with a little more kick, take my time, and savior it a little more, than just blow through as many .22's as I can.

But its all user preference, and how much to spend. My 3-5 trips a year isn't going to break the bank if I spend 2 hours at the range.

I have a Remington 700 30-06 that I just put a Boyds feather weight thumb hole stock on. I have not shot it with the new stock yet. I am eager too!

30-06 is a serious round. Our troops use them in WW2.

I have not seen a out door range with dividers. Getting hit with brass is not fun but not unusual. I never wear a tucked in shirt, Makes it faster to get the brass out :D

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I've had decent luck boresighting a newly mounted scope by removing the bolt and looking through the bore to the target (50 yds). Center the bullseye in the bore, and without moving the rifle, crank the crosshairs to the bullseye. You need to have something to hold the rifle still, but even an open topped cardboard box with some vees cut in it can do this for you.

This method will get you close and will save you some ammo. It will also save your shoulder for more meaningful shooting. I have an '06 that I like to shoot, but honestly my first box of 20 is better than my second. I just don't shoot enough, and recoil even though its moderate, takes it's toll after a box of 20.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've had decent luck boresighting a newly mounted scope by removing the bolt and looking through the bore to the target (50 yds). Center the bullseye in the bore, and without moving the rifle, crank the crosshairs to the bullseye. You need to have something to hold the rifle still, but even an open topped cardboard box with some vees cut in it can do this for you.

This method will get you close and will save you some ammo. It will also save your shoulder for more meaningful shooting. I have an '06 that I like to shoot, but honestly my first box of 20 is better than my second. I just don't shoot enough, and recoil even though its moderate, takes it's toll after a box of 20.

Didn't think of looking through the bore while at the range. :) I just took a flashlight, and shined it down the bore. It made a 1/2 inch dot of light on the wall, and just lined the scope up left and right with that, the best I could. I didn't mess with the elevation at that point until I got to the range.

After going through all this, it makes me curious on how military snipers go through all this. Growing up, I've always just pictured them as just good shooters who have been handed their weapon. But now that I know what all goes into it. I'd guess that these men mount and zero in their own scopes.

I've always thought it would be fun if somewhere set up scenarios for sniping. I've watched shows on TV about the British snipers. Where they have to advance to a location, find their own cover, and take 2 shots at a target without getting noticed. Always looked fun, as a game, not in real life.

Top Bottom