• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So the Larry Vickers Master Class 1911 I thought I had found turned out to be a scam. So no Vickers 1911 for wcd. With that being said. I wonder what the cost to benefit might be to getting my Ruger tweaked? On the short list was be something of the equivalent of duty coat, add checkering to the front strap( It’s one of the earlier ones with serrations) And switching out the cartoon size safety.

Thoughts ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have done maybe 3 Rugars in my time. All 3 turned out nicely for the efforts. But if you are searching for a Vickers level 1911 you have to go farther than your tight budget minded approach will deliver.
    I have not seen/felt/shot your 1911 so the base fitment inspection I give every project is not possible. I have a standard as to factory fitment that has to be met before I dump all the internals and start basically from scratch. Thats how you get even close to your goal. Personally, I stopped doing Ruger's due to the base metallurgy they are made from. I prefer the Springer frame/slide. Just better,
    Understand that if you go the full Monti with the Ruger in the end you will still have a Ruger. It will not return your investment because most people (yeah, I know) will push the "Its only a Ruger" after all. But if you have no intentions of selling it then heck yes, dive in. Get with AllenM. He is an FFL and you can ship directly to him. Tell him I referred you. If he does not laugh and avoid (:):) he will take good care of you. Follow his lead.

1st, how does the slide frame fitment feel to you. Is it loose or on rails.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have done maybe 3 Rugars in my time. All 3 turned out nicely for the efforts. But if you are searching for a Vickers level 1911 you have to go farther than your tight budget minded approach will deliver.
    I have not seen/felt/shot your 1911 so the base fitment inspection I give every project is not possible. I have a standard as to factory fitment that has to be met before I dump all the internals and start basically from scratch. Thats how you get even close to your goal. Personally, I stopped doing Ruger's due to the base metallurgy they are made from. I prefer the Springer frame/slide. Just better,
    Understand that if you go the full Monti with the Ruger in the end you will still have a Ruger. It will not return your investment because most people (yeah, I know) will push the "Its only a Ruger" after all. But if you have no intentions of selling it then heck yes, dive in. Get with AllenM. He is an FFL and you can ship directly to him. Tell him I referred you. If he does not laugh and avoid (:):) he will take good care of you. Follow his lead.

1st, how does the slide frame fitment feel to you. Is it loose or on rails.
    From what I understand it’s one of the earlier production models it’s the Aluminum frame Commander style. So I am not sure if that plays into the equation but it does not rattle no play from side to side. I have no issues hitting the 5 inch steel plate from 30 plus yards. So I am not sure it it’s all the dry fire training, combined with the laser cartridge training or a combination of all three.

As an aside I had also thought about looking at the Government size Garrison, since I really wanted a Gov size, but as long as I am compromising. Bit then again would it really hurt to have both?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what I understand it’s one of the earlier production models it’s the Aluminum frame Commander style. So I am not sure if that plays into the equation but it does not rattle no play from side to side. I have no issues hitting the 5 inch steel plate from 30 plus yards. So I am not sure it it’s all the dry fire training, combined with the laser cartridge training or a combination of all three.

As an aside I had also thought about looking at the Government size Garrison, since I really wanted a Gov size, but as long as I am compromising. Bit then again would it really hurt to have both?
    Well, if you have t ask that question on Ingo we need to sit down over a beer. :):

Look at the garrison. Fondle it for fitment. If it passes muster buy it with the intent it is about to eat some money. Shoot it a lot and save up. When you are ready shoot me a PM and lets get this train rolling.

No. Do not hotrod the Ruger. Aluminum framed hot rods just don't sit right with me.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well, if you have t ask that question on Ingo we need to sit down over a beer. :):

Look at the garrison. Fondle it for fitment. If it passes muster buy it with the intent it is about to eat some money. Shoot it a lot and save up. When you are ready shoot me a PM and lets get this train rolling.

No. Do not hotrod the Ruger. Aluminum framed hot rods just don't sit right with me.
    I think I am going to Enjoy the Ruger as is short of some G10 Grips.

So I am kind of seriously wanting the Garrison now. Being budget minded and all I think it will be a good starting point. My only question is will it be a pia to get my preferred sights the Trijicon HD’s put on it?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I got lucky with gun show/gun store 1911 finds in the past.

One was a Remington rand frame and colt slide with the high target sights. Talking to the owner of crackshot in Anderson he said it was a bullseye build from a doctors estate and had been in the glass case for quite some time. it was not in prime mint shape (I normally only buy mint used firearms) but something about it called to me. I. Stopped buy the following day and purchased it. Parkerized frame blued slide ect. Thing has a trigger that breaks like a contender target pistol and is very accurate . The store owner said that pistol was free and I was only paying for the custom work done to it at the price and the barrel. Thing shoots lights out.

second one was a very well used colt silver looking out under the blued finish and once again after the crackshot purchase the high target sights. Made a trade and took her home. Came with a shooters box made from wood once again I believe from a bullseye shooter. Slide to frame fit was superb box had a ton of magazines and springs ect. It does not shoot as well as the rem rand but it is close. This one will fail to eject about once in 200 rounds which I have not figured out yet. This one is waiting on me to get off my wallet and get some work done on.

both of these I believe were CMP or surplus guns at some time and then reworked out of arsenal. The machine time was worth the purchase on both. (These are also the least mint looking guns i out outside ot my carry weapons) so do not be afraid to find an older 1911’s but being old those days may be far behind us. I still just look for the high target sights on all 1911’s and normally will pick them up and take a look.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Don't try to hot rod a Ruger seriously , it's like trying to soup up a Geo at best. My younger brother tried to do that when I had all the custom work done to my MC Operator, same gunsmith did all the work and you could just tell the MC was miles ahead of the Ruger.

Honestly if you want to hotrod a 1911 get the most basic model you can with your preferred roll marks then send it off to a Smith. For reference I have as much in my Operator in gunsmithing work and parts as I do the actual base cost of the pistol. Having front strap checkering alone is going to be $200+.

1911's are not for everyone , maybe just save up for a Dan Wesson that has everything you want out of the box?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Don't try to hot rod a Ruger seriously , it's like trying to soup up a Geo at best. My younger brother tried to do that when I had all the custom work done to my MC Operator, same gunsmith did all the work and you could just tell the MC was miles ahead of the Ruger.

Honestly if you want to hotrod a 1911 get the most basic model you can with your preferred roll marks then send it off to a Smith. For reference I have as much in my Operator in gunsmithing work and parts as I do the actual base cost of the pistol. Having front strap checkering alone is going to be $200+.

1911's are not for everyone , maybe just save up for a Dan Wesson that has everything you want out of the box?
    So far here is my List

Government Size

Able to install Trijicon HD U notch sights ( with out too much Grief)

25 lpi Front strap Checkering

Durable Duty Coat type finish.

Suggestions

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Question, not to thread jack, but what is the problem with Ruger 1911's? Is it the investment cast metal, or what?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

This right here TBH

Never mind on the Colt , jeez people are gouging colts now on GunBroker not worth $1,600 for the base gun

Next best option would be the Garrison IMHO, that being said I am not a fan of the current SA Slide Roll Marks myself. I would avoid GI style guns as getting modern sights is a pain for them. The Springfield's fit Trijicon HD's I just put a pair on my MC Operator now that it is retired from competition use.

For the Colts and Springfield's I would suggest replacing the internals hammer, sear and have a trigger job done. I really like the cylinder and slide kit put on my pistol. Went with a glass rod break versus a rolling break myself and a crisp 3.5# break.

I would suggest looking at Heini Straight 8 sights as personally I find the front sight of my Trijicon HD's a bit fat for shooting past 20 yards and unfortunately Trijicon does not offer the thinner front sight HD XR model for the 1911.

The 25LPI checkering is perfect IMHO and adding that will require the frame be re-coated at least. The most cost effective would be cerakote of whatever color you want really. The super durable finished are cost prohibitive IMHO for semi custom guns like this project is.

$250-$450 versus $100~ for cerakote though the IonBond DLC is essentially Dan Wessons Duty Treat (and why it's such an upcharge).

Finally I would have a magazine well added as they make reloading a 1911 infinitely easier. I like my Ed Brow but Stan Chen is arguably the best

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I am with Dean on this one. Being I am a Dan Wesson fan boy they are expensive compared to Springfield but time you spend and the $$$ to get it where you want it you will have DW money in it.
    Only thing is if a gun smith does yours it will be the way you want it and will be personal to you.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am with Dean on this one. Being I am a Dan Wesson fan boy they are expensive compared to Springfield but time you spend and the $$$ to get it where you want it you will have DW money in it.
    Only thing is if a gun smith does yours it will be the way you want it and will be personal to you.

By my rough estimation it would actually cost more to get it to be equal to the Valor TBH. Gunsmithing time is not cheap and I only listed parts. The only thing the semi custom gun would have on the Dan Wesson would be trigger pull at that point.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The personal aspect of a semi custom build like the one proposed is important however , mine is a video game gun , modeled after Snakes custom 1911 in Metal Gear Solid 3

311h8E9.jpg

And this thread needs more pictures of badass 1911's , and this is why I said roll mark is important "Operator Cal. 45" is cool IMHO

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    The personal aspect of a semi custom build like the one proposed is important however , mine is a video game gun , modeled after Snakes custom 1911 in Metal Gear Solid 3

311h8E9.jpg

And this thread needs more pictures of badass 1911's , and this is why I said roll mark is important "Operator Cal. 45" is cool IMHO

I used to replay MGS3 just to watch that scene. The attention to detail is insane for a video game. Now you just need a Mk. 23 SOCOM pistol to complement it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    By my rough estimation it would actually cost more to get it to be equal to the Valor TBH. Gunsmithing time is not cheap and I only listed parts. The only thing the semi custom gun would have on the Dan Wesson would be trigger pull at that point.
    And the satisfaction of it being his creation.
    Having done most all of my own work save the heavy lifting (machine work that Allen did) my costs were seriously reduced but I had a huge investment in tools. Of which there was always another or better offering. So you can’t save anything basically when you do a sailer dive into this pool.

Reactions: wcd
    Top Bottom