So Just asking for a Friend, what age is old Now a days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Seems like the world starts to send getting older signals around age 40. Then the reminders increase & have more impact in the 50',etc...
    ie;
    ~40, you realize most professional athletes have retired at your age....for 5+ years (holy crap),
    50's, new hires at work are the same age as your children (ouch),
    Then one day all your Drs seem to resemble Doogie Howser (When TF did this happen??!).

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My neighbor just turned 105 or 106, oldest living female navy vet in the state.

I have come across customers in their 60s that can hardly get around to a customer who is 84 who looked 60 and had a handshake that caught you off guard.

Sometimes I feel old looking back at what I use to be able to accomplish in a day vs now.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I dont know......I was 20 somthing and woke up one day and I was 59....I dont know where that 35 years went. I feel OK most days. I'm good with that.
    I felt the same way about it but retirement has definitely slowed time down for me. I really like that.

My Dad is an 80yr old strong farmer type. He just sold his big Indian Roadmaster and bought a Yamaha FJR. Plenty of manual labor every day, welding, runs dozers, rebuilds everything, etc. That's something I look up to as an example of living strong, well and free.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Longevity seems to be intertwined with many factors .... genetics, self-care, occupation, and so forth.
    Probably most of us have an example of someone living well & strong beyond the average lifespan (U.S. male = 76.1 yrs.). I had a great-aunt who lived to 103, but most of my key ancestors passed-on by their middle 80's.

Now, at 71 years old, I see the window of my existence narrowing. One of the great influences in my life has been the teachings of the Buddhist Zen master, Thich Nhat Hanh. He proclaims "the only thing worthy of you, is your compassion".
    I think that he might be correct.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Seems like the world starts to send getting older signals around age 40. Then the reminders increase & have more impact in the 50',etc... ie; ~40, you realize most professional athletes have retired at your age....for 5+ years (holy crap), 50's, new hires at work are the same age as your children (ouch), Then one day all your Drs seem to resemble Doogie Howser (When TF did this happen??!).

The fact you know Doogie Howser means you are old.

I’ve been taking a poll lately: in the 18-21 age range (I teach and hire college students), out of 46 so far, NONE knew what you could get at Alice’s Restaurant.

A class of 18 that I taught, age range mid 20s to mid 40s, only four knew.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The fact you know Doogie Howser means you are old.

I’ve been taking a poll lately: in the 18-21 age range (I teach and hire college students), out of 46 so far, NONE knew what you could get at Alice’s Restaurant.

A class of 18 that I taught, age range mid 20s to mid 40s, only four knew.
    Alice’s Restaurant?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I think my youth days probably has an impact on my latter days. I turned 70 this year, hard for me to grasp that. My mind is not as good as it was 20 years ago. I “think” I am younger than I am, weird. I go to church and they have these “senior functions. I told my wife I don‘t fit in, they’re all just a bunch of old people that make me feel old. I still work part time to keep busy but the young folk also make me feel old!

My body is in ok shape, not as it once was. I try to keep up with the younger folk at work and my body reminds me I should stop.
    My brain says go on, you can do it but my body quickly reminds me otherwise.

I guess I am at “that age”.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I normally can and do outwork most or all farm hires. I must look old cause I was loading feed in the RK parking lot, stooped over for the last bag and I see these well polished black shoes and a Voice that said, let me get that for you, before I could reply, bag was in the truck. I Thanked the Officer who was On Duty, in full uniform. I asked the wife, Damn, do I really look that OLD. I see photos of HS classmates and they ALL look ancient. :-)
    Do I want to Live Forever - NO, when I can no longer drive or tend to myself, its time to go. I'll never knowingly be a burden for anyone. NO Nursing Home or Assisted Living for Me. The older I get, the Docs keep piling things on but I'll never give up and keep on working as much as I can do.
    Conversely I am at an age I should be able to do a lot of things myself without help, but find myself asking my daughter to carry some of the heavier stuff down to the basement when she is back home. I should (and want to) be able to help others lift stuff, etc but my back isn't having it. Back has been jacked up at different levels for the last 15 years or so but more bad days than good with it these days. That said I still try to help folks within reason if it isn't something too crazy heavy. I feel like folks think "yeah right" when I tell them I can't help them move something big.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Conversely I am at an age I should be able to do a lot of things myself without help, but find myself asking my daughter to carry some of the heavier stuff down to the basement when she is back home. I should (and want to) be able to help others lift stuff, etc but my back isn't having it. Back has been jacked up at different levels for the last 15 years or so but more bad days than good with it these days. That said I still try to help folks within reason if it isn't something too crazy heavy. I feel like folks think "yeah right" when I tell them I can't help them move something big.
    Nothing wrong with a little help from family or friends. We often have a bunch of our Sons friends show up wanting to help out with stuff, especially on deworming days for the goats.

The goats are fairly easy to work, but it’s nice to have some of his friends around to help . Often it turns into a barbecue for friends and family, with a bonfire.

So all is good.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "Don't let the old man in"-Clint Eastwood.

I can still run circles around most younger folk when it comes to physical labor but at 63 I am not what I was at 33.

That said, we fight the unbeatable foe: old age and death.

The idea is not to add years to your life but to try and shorten the "red zone". People make comments to me about how I take care of myself: like why? And "you could die tomorrow". True, I could have a massive heart attack and die today or contract cancer and be gone in 7-8 months. But my time in the red zone would be nil with the former and 7-8 months with the latter.

There are a lot of people who spend years in the red zone. And many of those wouldn't have had to if they just did three things.

1. Exercise daily
    2. Stop eating crap
    3. Have friends

It is simple, though I do admit the execution can be tough. But the results are worth it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I want to amend my previous post a bit.

If you have ever shared anything remotely similar to what is below or anything else about Facebook terms or ownership of pictures or whatever....you are old.

cut and paste.png

Top Bottom