• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ...and I still have all 10 of my fingers!

Just kidding. I've been looking for my first revolver for a while and wanted something cheap in price. After a long search, I found a good deal on a Taurus Model 605. The 605 has a 2" barrel, J-frame sized, and the cylinder holds 5 rounds. I was a little nervous given Taurus' reputation, but gave it a shot. The lockup was tight so I figured 'why not?' The previous owner admitted to shooting only one cylinder of ammo and it looks it. The stainless finish is pretty decent and it feels good in my hand.

I finally got out to the range this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It was surprisingly accurate! My father has a Ruger SP101 and we both agree the double-action trigger is better (smoother, lighter) on my Taurus. I'm still sort of shocked and still wonder if there wasn't a trigger job done at some point. The single-action is the about the same for both. I was worried that I wouldn't like the small sights, but I had no issues with them. Practicing with self defense drills was very instinctive and controllable, even with .357 loads.

I'm keeping it loaded with Magtech Guardian Gold 125 gr. JHP. I've seen some great reviews online and don't doubt it'll perform. .357 target loads were manageable, but the Guardian Golds and hot 110 grain XTPs I shot were not exactly pleasant; I would probably feel guilty letting a new shooter try my pistol.

Long story short, I am very happy with my first revolver. It will make an excellent nightstand and concealed carry gun for me. I was a little nervous of the Taurus name, but I would definitely consider another Taurus revolver in the future after this experience. I'm still waiting for my rapid fire video to be sent to me, so you will have to settle for these in the meantime:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Nice gun. Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoy shooting my revolver (Smith mod. 10) as much as any other gun. By the way, I have heard good things about Taurus wheel guns so nothing to be concerned about. In fact, isn't there a lifetime warranty?

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I have one just like it. I have nothing bad to say about it other than its a ear full but with proper hearing protection not a big deal. But I think that's a factor with snub nose pistols if not most all of them. I think I'd buy another one if the right deal came up

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I had a 606 that I regrettably got rid of. The 606 is the same gun with 6 rounds and a compensated barrel. As soon as I find another one, it shall be mine again.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have owned several Taurus pistols and revolvers over the years and all have been good, reliable shooters. I have been ogling a couple Taurus .44's at the LGS they have had for awhile, an M44 Tracker and the M444 Ultralight. Both would make fine packing pistols for the woods and not destroy your wallet.
    I don't pay much attention to the haters and prefer to find out for myself, but I am sure that a hater will pop up soon to give his opinion, they always do.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers, an 85 and a 66, and both were good guns with above average triggers, The 66, which had a 6" bbl., was as accurate as any handgun that I have ever had. Would still have it if a burglar had not relieved me of it a few years back.

Must confess that I never had to deal with their customer service. As I understand, that can be frustrating.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have had a few Taurus Firearms. Most have been good and had a couple not so good. The 605 I had was a great gun. Kinda regret getting rid of it. But I sold it to get a 3" model 85. They are rare and hard to get. But the 605 was a keeper. The 85 and 605 is the best gun Taurus makes. Jim

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Taurus is a good buy for the money. I've had two, and when I bent the crane on the model 85 somehow, they took care of it with no problems.

The biggest problem for me was the stock hard rubber grips didn't do much to tame recoil. As you found out, hot loads are no fun really quickly. On a longer range day, even tame loads got tiresome and led to stinging palms. Hogue and Pachmeyr both make aftermarket grips for the 605, but I didn't try either one so I can't say if they are any more comfortable.

The main reason I no longer have a Taurus is I consolidated to all Ruger because I wanted all my revolvers to have the same cylinder release. I as fumbling reloads going back and forth between Ruger "push in" and S&W/Taurus "push forward" and needed to stick with one or the other.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IIRC, it was the autoloaders that earned Taurus the dirty reputation of poor quality firearms. I've had my Model 85ULT in .38 for nearly 15 years and it's been just about perfect. I did have to swap out the rubber grips since the friction rubbed blisters.

On the other hand, my very first pistol purchase was a Taurus autoloader. That thing had a 12+lb trigger pull. It was horrible. I immediately sold it (with full disclosure of the trigger issue) and replaced it with a Glock 26. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another revolver, but I have been poisoned on the autoloaders despite the more current reviews that give them a thumbs up. Just can't bring myself to risk it again.

Top Bottom