• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    So instead of buying snap caps how about using spent casings? Is this damaging to the firearm? I notice a number of posts that advise to dry fire. I'm not going to dry fire because I know enough to know that is not always the best thing.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well dry fire can be handy, and desgin of each particular firearm determines what if any damage will be done, some can be severely harmed, others won't care at all.

The thing about just using spent casings is, when you go to do something like practice a Failure to Fire or a double feed, that case needs something up front to make it able to feed, I wouldn't want to do an empty reload either for fear of it getting mixed up with real ammo and giving me a click when I need a bang or bring about the shame of a bang when it was supposed to be a click. I've got some a-zooms that aren't particularly cheap, but if you hunt around amazon there are some other options that are more cost effective.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Strictly Revolver

When I speak of using empty casings I should have said my purpose was to break in a revolver. Thanks for the insight.

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    IMHO the ONLY way to "break in" a gun to fire rounds through it. :ar15:

And I can't say if dry firing or clicking spent rounds will damage your particular firearm. However, there are some trigger practice techniques using spent cartridges in a revolver shown to me by a retired LEO. May not be proper but i found it interesting. At a safe firing range, Load your revolver with three live and three spend rounds, in a random order, spin the cylinder and close it. The aim is to NOT know whether you have a live round or dummy up next. Concentrate on your trigger pull and try to avoid the "dip" or "pull" of the front sight and also try not to "expect" the BANG! I did this a few times with this former LEOs instruction and improved my pattern in just a few minutes. I know I'll get a few folks telling me this is a wrong or incorrect technique but it made me aware of a few "bad habits".

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

And I can't say if dry firing or clicking spent rounds will damage your particular firearm. However, there are some trigger practice techniques using spent cartridges in a revolver shown to me by a retired LEO. May not be proper but i found it interesting. At a safe firing range, Load your revolver with three live and three spend rounds, in a random order, spin the cylinder and close it. The aim is to NOT know whether you have a live round or dummy up next. Concentrate on your trigger pull and try to avoid the "dip" or "pull" of the front sight and also try not to "expect" the BANG! I did this a few times with this former LEOs instruction and improved my pattern in just a few minutes. I know I'll get a few folks telling me this is a wrong or incorrect technique but it made me aware of a few "bad habits".
    THIS is actually VERY GOOD TRAINING .....

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co

I've done it before. Then I switched to 38 and 357. It is very helpful!

kenjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Somebody on another forum shared that he's made "snap-caps" by seating a bullet in an empty casing and cementing a pencil eraser in the primer pocket. He trimmed the eraser to be level with the case head surface.

under32hurts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Central IN
    Thanks, I found it very helpful myself......It pointed out some errors I was making on my trigger pull and "expecting" the bang...I was firing a SW40VE two weeks ago and had heard some say they don't like the pistols accuracy. Because of the techniques previously mentioned, I was hitting a 4" fence post at roughly thirty feet with little effort....."it's not your gun dude!":rolleyes:

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Somebody on another forum shared that he's made "snap-caps" by seating a bullet in an empty casing and cementing a pencil eraser in the primer pocket. He trimmed the eraser to be level with the case head surface.

I've done the same using gasket paste in the primer pocket.

Top Bottom