• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I love the interior scheme, makes for an incredibly comfortable looking atmosphere.

Well, you know the Navy plans "comfort" as a primary consideration when designing a sub.
    :rofl:

Though I do remember a study on colors of paint and how it affects people.
    Red was bad
    So was blue

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Notice how he mostly is talking with officers and chiefs.

I guess he figured he didn't need to teach everyone how to curse like a sailor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I like how at 19:55 he says, "That's cool. You go to the Navy. You learn to operate a nuclear reactor."

:)
    And then I think, it's not a cool as you'd think.
    Mostly boring.
    Boring is good.
    Exciting, is bad.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well, you know the Navy plans "comfort" as a primary consideration when designing a sub.
    :rofl:

Though I do remember a study on colors of paint and how it affects people.
    Red was bad
    So was blue

I just have a thing for tacky wood interior stuff.

If I remember right, the russians found that sky blue was one of the best colors for interior stuff.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I especially liked the photo of MarcoRamius and the Red October in the crew mess.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    New episode. This one on the torpedo tubes.

Just some additional notes:
    0:35 notice the torpedo explosion broke the ship in half
    1:43 don't you love all that space
    2:00 "can I touch it" as he touches it. If you have to ask, then wait for a response. If you can't touch it and reach, you MAY be restrained rather forcibly.
    2:20 you are at the centerline, looking starboard. The tubes on a 688 class are angled out. the front of the sub is the sonar equipment, so the tubes don't point straight out the bow like they did on mine.
    3:45 shows a drawing where the torpedo room is (on a 688)
    4:00 talk about loading torpedoes THRU the sub. My sub was a bit better, torpedo room was in the front of the sub, nothing was above it. It was still a copper plated ***** to load.
    5:12 talking about how decisions made in the past still affect weapons of the present. Duh! New weapons are designed as adaptations of older weaps. That's why Harpoons had their size/shape. That's why Mk 48 ADCAPS have the same dimensions as before. It's why "fish" still go in a 21 inch tube.
    5:12 also. Center of pic, Pres. Jimmy Carter. Right side blue shirt, Adm. Hyman Rickover (father of the nuke navy)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover
    5:24 loading a Harpoon. It is Navy policy that it is not discussed whether a weapon is nuke or conventional. However. Sometimes guards are sailors with a gun. Sometimes it's Marines with a bunch of guns. You can draw your own conclusions.
    6:05 loading a weapon into the tube using hydraulics or a snatch block. No, using a snatch block is not "awesome". Torpedoes are heavy, massive, and dangerous. And you might be loading the tube while the sub is maneuvering.
    6:27 TM2 Knight is wearing a jacket and watch cap. Seems silly. It's not. You don't set the temp. on a sub. There are a hundred men to disagree with the setting. Also, different compartments require different cooling, and that even changes based on what's being done in the compartment. So it's either too hot or too cold. Equipment likes it better cold. And you can put a jacket on. We had to run the A/C even in the winter and even if the steam plant was shut down. Because it had to keep the electronics cold. So we had to deal with it. I sometimes had to wear my foul weather coat
    Wwii-Kw-Us-Navy-Usn-N1-Foul-_1.jpg

(not mine. Just found this similar one off the internet)
    6:35 above the tube is a sign. It says "TUBE EMPTY". Other signs would read "WARSHOT LOADED". And "EXERCISE SHOT LOADED". It seems simple and silly. But simple things work best. If they go to fire the tube, the intention is announced, and the TM verifies. If you go to shoot a "water slug" from Tube 1, the TM glances above tube 1 to verify the tube is actually empty. You don't want to accidently fire a warshot. They are expensive. NCIS TV show actually had an episode where a weapon was lost. (Not for real. Just a show). They spent time before they figured the warshot was in the mud of the harbor.
    6:41 he states Tube 1 clear. Also seems silly. No it's not. Always to a procedure the same way. Always announce warnings even if you can see the area. It's kind of like the gun safety rules being redundant.
    7:00 "How the heck did that happen?" If I had a nickel for everytime I asked the same question on the sub...
    7:24 He does a very good explanation of how a "fish" is fired from a tube.
    9:40 yes, air is a precious commodity on a sub. More precious than you can imagine, most people take it for granted. But the air from the tube is vented into the sub, because where else are you going to vent it? Overboard? No. Because you can't because sea pressure would stop you from venting.
    10:27 talks about the reason for the WRT. Just adding that water is approx. 8 pounds to the gallon. AND this weight is added away from the center of balance. So adding water would want to make the sub pitch forward.
    11:58 we use water to impulse the torpedo. Originally air was used. But the air escapes from the tube as the torp. is fired, and those bubbles go to the surface. Kind of damages your stealth if you have bubbles giving away your position. So we pressurize the impulse tank, and that water impulses to the tube which pushes the torp. out. So only water escapes with the torp. Not air.
    12:30 might be a good idea to have a torp that is neutrally buoyant for another reason. Your torpedo has to travel in a 360 degree environment. A heavy or light torpedo could cause problems.
    13:25 venting the air from the torpedo tank. Believe it or not, this can be hilarious. You would not believe the noise this generates. Get a noob there when firing, and they jump out of their skin.
    14:34 can I step on the nose of the torp? NO. That's sensitive stuff. Active/Passive sonar components.
    15:46 it's really really cold. I guess it's because we're in the artic. :ugh:
    18:00 you'd have been better off staying on your belly. Same way you went in.

[video=youtube;UYEyhB0AGlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYEyhB0AGlw[/video]

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A friend of mine (and my mentor) was a reactor operator on a nuke sub in Vietnam. I've grown up hearing submarine stories and it was always interesting when I would ask him a question that would bump up against security. My friend is suffering from cancer and we're still not sure of his prognosis, so watching these (I've subscribed to the channel for years) has been a bit of a comfort in feeling closer to my friend.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How to Fight Fire or Flooding on a Nuclear Submarine - Smarter Every Day 244

[video=youtube;ajK1QMP7ZyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajK1QMP7ZyI[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Geez this is bringing back memories.

When he asks if the guy doing the "band-it" is a repairman.
    I wonder if it's a question he already knew the answer to.
    EVERYONE qualified subs has to know these actions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, to expand further..

The pump they showed, only pumps the water from the flooded space, to the Drain System.
    The Drain System has its own pump that can then pump it overboard. This pump is MUCH bigger.

Then about fire.
    I was in during the Bonefish fire. It was a major fire, with deaths.
    One of the "lessons learned" was that if the hull insulation catches fire, there will be thick black smoke.
    So, one of the chief's wife sewed elastic to several dozen black pieces of cloth, that could be fitted over the mask.
    Drill monitors would apply them to your mask when you entered a "smoke filled" compartment.

Biggest risk of fire is electrical.
    Secure the source, then hit it with an extinguisher for any class A that resulted, and you're usually good to go.
    Small space means that fires are USUALLY discovered fast.
    Let them go about 5 minutes, and they develop a life.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To help deenergize, every panel is labeled with it's ID, the ID of the source, and what it feeds.

And because that could be unreadable, every watchstander will know that info in his space.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://theleansubmariner.com/2018/1...n-a-submarine/

Arguably one of the most asked questions most Submariners hear once they reveal their sordid past: What’s it like living on a submarine?

1. Buy all the groceries and supplies you think you’ll need for 2 months, with the following exceptions: no milk, cereal, fruits, vegetables or alcohol. Take what you buy home and bring it one item at a time into the house. You may not keep any food in your cabinets or closets as these will be set aside to store spare parts. You may not use the refrigerator as this will be turned into a freezer. Any pre-made candies, cookies, or snacks must be kept in bed with you.
    2. Lock the door, close the windows, draw the shades and tear out the phone.(Modern Update: No cell phones either)
    3. Turn on the oven with the door open; turn the air conditioner all the way up. Setup enough fans so that the whole house is windy.
    4. Replace all your lights with 100 watt bulbs and turn them all on.
    5. You may sleep on any shelf you choose.
    6. Whenever you are not asleep, your “bed” must be occupied by any garbage man you do not like.
    7. You must wear the same clothes a week at a time. You may do laundry once a month. You must sleep with your dirty laundry in a bag in bed with you.
    8. Every week on Saturday morning, you must go to the basement, crawl between the pipes and clean the same 10 foot by 10 foot area for four hours.
    9. You may be in the shower for 10 minutes at longest, but you may not run the water for more than 60 seconds.
    10. You have one week to study the instruction manuals for every appliance, utility and piece of equipment in your house. At the end of this week you must be able to quote any passage out of these from memory and pass a written exam. Until you can do this, you may not have access to TV or radio and you may not sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, with 9 hours awake between sleeping.
    11. After this week, you must walk around the house for 6 hours and record every temperature, pressure, tank level, setting, and complete status of every piece of equipment in your house. You may not go to the bathroom or eat during this 6 hours. These 6 hour periods must start every 15 hours.
    12. Once a week when you would otherwise be asleep, take your television completely apart and put it back together.
    13. You may not go to the bathroom for one hour after you eat because during that time you have to clean it.
    14. Each Monday through Friday morning whether you would normally be awake or not, you must pretend to start a fire in your house, put on a gas mask, and pretend to put the fire out. Wear the gas mask for at least one additional hour each time.
    15. Each Monday through Friday afternoon whether you would normally be awake or not, you must study the same instruction manuals for 2 hours that you studied the first week.
    16. Continue the above for 3 months even though you have only 2 months’ worth of food

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I laughed.
    He asked a cook if it was hard to cook in that little room, while doing angles.
    The cook told him, "It's not easy" at the same time I thought it.
    I wonder if that's where I picked up that expression.

Also, I was never impressed by pizza night on my sub.

And when you see the food storage areas, imagine.. they've already been eating through some of the food. So the room isn't as full as it was.
    Also, he was talking about 90 days of food.
    90 days for me was a short deployment.
    We had to carry so much food, the cans would be on the deck of the main passageway, and you'd walk on top of the cans.
    A board would be used to keep them wedged together at the two ends. The first cans opened would be those cans. As you'd eat through them, the boards would be moved to keep them wedged. Can't have metal cans rolling around loose.

Also, I think something came up about them feeding the crew on $10.60 (or so) a day per crewman.
    So when they talk about the steaks and stuff, remember that he also talks about a LOT of chicken.
    Cause it's cheaper. The steaks may come out once in a while, but I ate so much chicken, I wouldn't eat chicken for years after I got out. And then when I finally started, I would only eat a meal or two then not eat chicken for awhile.

[video=youtube_share;bPJUVKizh90]https://youtu.be/bPJUVKizh90[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh.
    And when he asks why they don't have frozen pizza....
    WHERE would you store that?
    Remember looking in the freezer?
    Now add enough pizza for over 100 men, once a week.
    Where would you store frozen pizza?

Top Bottom