• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I was told an AO was trying to get a job at Pepsi bottling corp as a fork lift operator.
    He was asked why he thought a job in the navy qualified him to move crates of bottles around.
    He told them his job was moving 500 pound, and thousand pound bombs.

:)
    True that, we are looked upon as knuckle dragger's, but in reality, we do many missions. We load aircraft with ordnance, we maintain the ordnance hardware and software, we test, upgrade and maintain aviation ordnance and related equipment. We are a source rating for range master, and do fill billets that normally would be filled by a Gunners Mate. My first duty station was as an armorer at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, and I spent many a day dissembling and reassembling all sorts of weapons (M-14, M-16, M-60, M-2, M1911A1, M92A1, and the old .38's) still in service at the time for monthly maintenance.

Yes, I "rocked out" as I was a 16 year old high school dropout who managed to score high enough on his ASVAB to qualify for an advanced electronics program, and got waivered in when I turned 17. Only reason I rocked out was because I failed the write up three times in a row. I could find and fix the fault on the final exam (huge table full of circuit cards with faults installed), but could not explain it in good enough terms to pass the University of Chicago civilian instructors (guys in the blue lab coats) that we had.

Been a long road, as military, military contractor and now GS, but happy to say now I am a GS-13 and working with aviation ordnance in an AOR that puts warheads on foreheads.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And the latest one.
    He says it's the next to the last episode.

This one discusses..
    Cribbage
    Mustaches
    Yeoman
    Sleeping
    Breakfast
    Pressure
    Medical
    Shower
    Toilet

Of course, I have stories about most of those.
    But, it's 1:30 AM, so maybe they'll wait till later.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Punching through the ice.

I never did this.
    But, we did have to "hover".. a LOT due to the missions we did.
    So, when he describes how hard it is, I agreed, and grinned.
    Also the part about keeping people from moving though the sub while hovering.

And we did the string across the compartment also. It bowed a LOT more than what I saw here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just found this one.

One of my stories in the Military BS stories thread, involved someone slipping on the ladder up to the Bridge, and snapping his leg.
    This ladder can be seen about 9:30

Top Bottom