• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My mind still boggles that they have deep fryers on subs. Are they mounted on a gimbal or something?

No.
    But they use it when we are tactically less likely to perform "angles and dangles".
    And, you only fill the fryer so far.

Just like the "bug juice" machine.
    Never fill past the 3/4 mark.
    Otherwise, bug juice all over the mess deck floor.

This is an image I grabbed of the net.
    I did NOT take pictures of the machine.
    But this demonstrates why you might not fill the machine.
    iu

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No.
    But they use it when we are tactically less likely to perform "angles and dangles".
    And, you only fill the fryer so far.

Just like the "bug juice" machine.
    Never fill past the 3/4 mark.
    Otherwise, bug juice all over the mess deck floor.

This is an image I grabbed of the net.
    I did NOT take pictures of the machine.
    But this demonstrates why you might not fill the machine.
    iu

Tangentially, I wonder how food trucks do it too. Get smacked in the side and end up with horrific burns or wait 2 hours for the oil to cool down? I think maybe some have latching lids..?

Odd things that I waste my thinking with. :laugh:

HoosierNation33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Springfield
    Is it wrong I actually miss bug juice? Or having the new crank come up and ask what you wanted to drink? For us, it was either crappy UHT milk, water, or bug juice (all dictated by color--not flavor). Red was always my favorite. Until I made it back to the engine room. There I used the coffee pot to brew fresh southern style sweet tea. Definitely recall sending more than my fair share of nubs back forward to the galley to get sugar from the Galley Watch Cap. And if they were lucky, they'd get a signature on their quals...

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Mr. Nation33, would you care to share what years you were in the service, what boat(s) you served on and your rate? I'm making a list to forward to AOC.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And now he goes over Sonar.
    Not bad.
    They call this kindergarten discussion.
    I've seen kindergarten discussion, it's usually what you see Hollywood put out.
    This might be 2nd grade level.

[video=youtube_share;AqqaYs7LjlM]https://youtu.be/AqqaYs7LjlM[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, time to bump the thread.
    I see the upgrade has made the previous videos lose their "embedding".
    So you'll have to copy and paste.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Now he discusses Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, and a few other chemicals.

The only name I remember for our Oxygen Generators was, oxygen bomb 1 and oxygen bomb 2.
    Cause you know, you're playing with oxygen, hydrogen, and electricity.

We never had to burn "candles" like that. Not sure why they are.
    Maybe their generators are more reliable, so maybe they only have 1?
    Ours kept breaking, so we had 2. :dunno:

Our OBAs had candles that were used. OBAs were what was used before SCBA tanks. (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) (Scuba, without the U)
    I think I'll pull up some stuff about OBAs later. Basically, they did what these big candles did, except you wore them like a SCBA, on your chest. And they were HOT, and you could/did burn yourself.

Carbon Dioxide.
    amine did get into your clothing. And it was bad on the glue in your sneakers. It is in the air, there's not much you can do about it.

LiOH is kept in canisters for emergencies. Like when the scrubbers are down. Or when you are dead in the water waiting to die.

Their monitoring system was generations ahead of what I had.
    My sub was commissioned in 61. And upgrades happened to Radar, Sonar, Nuclear Instruments, and things like that. Atmo monitoring, not as important.
    Well, not as important till it goes out of calibration and everyone gets a HEADACHE at the same time. Do you want to see a hundred grumpy people. Cause that's how you get a hundred angry people.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought I posted about OBAs and EABs earlier in the thread.
    I guess I was wrong.

I think I THOUGHT about posting, and then forgot it the next day.

I'll start with the OBA. Oxygen Breathing Apparatus.
    These were used by damage control teams.
    On my sub, we had TEN (10).
    People not using the OBAs (most of us) had to make due with EABs. To be discussed later.

An oxygen breathing apparatus (OBA) is a rebreather. It is used primarily in firefighting. Its oxygen is generated by chemicals contained in the green canister, which is inserted at the base of the breathing device. The canister uses potassium superoxide as both a CO2 scrubber and an O2 generator. A sodium chlorate candle in the base generates additional oxygen when first beginning use as the canister has to achieve a high internal temperature before it will start generating oxygen on its own. It is the circulation of exhaled air through the canister that starts the chemical process, usually taking less than five minutes, the normal burn time of the "candle" and the mask will initially fill with a light, harmless smoke. The extreme heat of the chemical reaction requires the use of thick leather gloves for handling spent canisters. The bags along either side of the chest unit cool the air mixture before inhalation and is a surprisingly effective system, with the air being quite cool when entering the face mask. There is a 60-minute timer at the top of the chest unit which, during the fighting of a casualty, is set for only 45 minutes. This would give the user a 15-minute window to evacuate to a safe atmosphere. Though it looks bulky and unwieldy it is a light and comfortable device to wear and does not much interfere with the user's freedom of movement.

As of early 2001, the US Navy has been replacing the OBA for firefighting with the SCBA. The SCBA is more cost-effective than the OBA, and also does not produce hazardous waste, a problem with the chemical oxygen generation system.

Here is an old WWII training video on them.
    Next post I will show a more recent video.
    You can see that there have been some small changes. But for the most part, a sailor should be able to use either one.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is from the YouTube channel "Battleship New Jersey"

Some differences I noticed.
    Face mask. The two eye mask was replaced with a "clear view" mask.
    The swing arm used to hold and release the canister. On the "New Jersey" video, you can't see it very well when he inserts it. But at the end of the video, when he releases it, you can see it operate.
    (also, note when releasing, he keeps himself clear of the canister)

And disposing of a canister.
    Note: this is done after it has cooled off.

Reasons for not using OBAs anymore...
    Environmental hazard.
    Hot canisters that you have to store someplace to cool.
    Costs

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    EAB Emergency Air Breather

An Emergency Air Breather (EAB) is a device used on board U.S submarines in emergencies when the internal atmosphere is, or potentially is, unsuitable for breathing. It consists of a mask and air hose.[1] The air hose ends with a fitting that allows quick insertion or removal from air manifolds equipped with quick-disconnect fittings. These air manifolds are located throughout the submarine.

While connected to a manifold, the wearer of the EAB can breathe and can move about within a few feet of the manifold. To move any farther, the wearer must disconnect from the manifold, at which time the wearer cannot breathe, and locate another manifold with which to connect.

Since the submarine may not be able to ventilate its atmosphere with fresh air for a long time, during which the submarine personnel must continue operating the submarine, all personnel undergo training to ensure they know locations of EAB manifolds and can locate them even if there is no lighting. One training exercise, known as "EAB races", has personnel assemble at one end of the submarine where they don EABs and are blindfolded. They must then make their way to the other end of the submarine without removing their EAB masks or their blindfolds. Other training exercises require the personnel to don EABs while operating the submarine and its nuclear reactor, and continue the operations without removing their EABs.

Emergency Air Breathing (EAB) Systems, Stations and Mask Unit (For submarine use)

Description
    The Emergency Air Breathing (EAB) system supplies clean, filtered air at 100 psig for use with hoses and face masks if the atmosphere becomes contaminated by smoke, toxic vapors, fumes, gases or dust. EAB stations are permanently installed. Sufficient emergency air breathing manifolds are provided to allow watch personnel and personnel engaged in damage control and emergency situations for an extended stay in a compartment containing unbreathable air, move about and perform their duties even when there is poor visibility. The EAB stations are clearly labeled with posted operating instructions. The EAB mask plugs into the EAB stations for emergency breathing air supply. Also onboard submarines, the air-line mask is to be used by first responders on the scene for firefighting until relieved by damage control personnel wearing SCBAs.

When emergency breathing air is required because of environmental contamination, the face mask with its attached demand regulator is donned, and the hose is connected to the manifold. The demand regulator supplies air to the mask as the wearer inhales. If necessary, movement between stations is possible by disconnecting from one manifold and connecting to another manifold or by connecting to the buddy connection on another wearer’s demand regular. The dual action filters provide filtered air to the EAB manifolds.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Can't find a video on this. (EAB)

Basically, you connect your air hose to an air supply quick disconnect. Your hose has a demand regulator on it.
    You can daisy chain. If you get to a manifold, and all the quick disconnects are occupied, you can connect to a quick disconnect on another sailor's regulator.

Funny note:
    I watched a group of sailors daisy chained go into a spasmodic dance, because the sailor at the manifold disconnected without telling anyone, so they could hold their breath.
    Because he had a few sailors anchoring him down, he panicked, and connected to another sailors regulator.
    So, they formed a CIRCLE.
    So NO ONE could breath.

Not so funny note:
    It is said that a sailor strapped to a submarine stretcher had his air line disconnected. the sub stretcher encases the sailor so they can be lifted without getting smashed in hatches.
    No one could hear him yell.
    Resuscitation was unsuccessful.
    I don't know if we were told that to scare us, or if it was real. Probably both.

And the note in about "EAB races".
    That's a thing. Very real. VERY.
    When you unplug and run/walk/crawl through the sub, you LEARN where the manifolds are. You plan your stops. The man that runs fast and passes up too many manifolds pays when he either falls down, or lifts his mask.
    Also, the floor is marked where the manifolds are with orange tape, and non-skid tape.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They offered me STS 'A' when I rocked out of FC 'A', I went AO instead. No underwater stuff for me.

I wouldn't have known AO was Air Ordnance, except my boot camp DI was a chief AO.
    Cause we don't see much AO on subs.
    :)

And for others watching, I think STS is Sonar Tech (sub).
    'A" is the general tech school for a rating. I went to ET 'A' school to teach me electronics.
    FC is Firecontrolman. Not putting out fires. Directing fire of weapons. CAUSING fires.
    and "rocked out" is dropped/quit/failed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was told an AO was trying to get a job at Pepsi bottling corp as a fork lift operator.
    He was asked why he thought a job in the navy qualified him to move crates of bottles around.
    He told them his job was moving 500 pound, and thousand pound bombs.

:)

Top Bottom