• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    In addition to having my revolver take a dump on me the other day I encountered a minor issue with my semi auto. I was kind of focused on the revolver since it seemed to be a more critical failure. The issue I had with my semi auto is that the slide lock was not engaging when the magazine ran dry. When I racked it back manually with an empty magazine it locked back like normal but ran another mag through and it didn't lock back again. It happens with both of the factory mags that I have. It didn't do it the first time I took it out and the second time it didn't lock three times but functioned normally for the rest of the shoot. This last time I took it out it didn't lock back at all. Total I have about 350 rounds through it. So my question is if this is something I should be concerned about or if it's no big deal. Like I said it locks with an empty mag and a manual rack or if I load a snap cap and rack it out it locks but did not lock after firing the last round when I went to the range.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What kind of pistol is it?

My XDm is prone to the same problem. Turns out it was my grip. My thumb was holding the slide lock down not letting it do its job. Might want to look into your grip.

Could also be a light load. Not having enough power to push the slide back as far as it needs to go.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First two questions, what kind of revolver, and what kind of semi auto...... COULD have been dirty, or slightly underpowered load..... weather factory or not .....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In addition to having my revolver take a dump on me the other day I encountered a minor issue with my semi auto. I was kind of focused on the revolver since it seemed to be a more critical failure. The issue I had with my semi auto is that the slide lock was not engaging when the magazine ran dry. When I racked it back manually with an empty magazine it locked back like normal but ran another mag through and it didn't lock back again. It happens with both of the factory mags that I have. It didn't do it the first time I took it out and the second time it didn't lock three times but functioned normally for the rest of the shoot. This last time I took it out it didn't lock back at all. Total I have about 350 rounds through it. So my question is if this is something I should be concerned about or if it's no big deal. Like I said it locks with an empty mag and a manual rack or if I load a snap cap and rack it out it locks but did not lock after firing the last round when I went to the range.

That happened to me with a H&K P30. Turned out the big ass crowbar they use for a slide stop release lever was being unintentionally actuated by my right thumb during recoil. After discovering the issue I changed my grip a little and it worked fine after that.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    It's an XD9. I was trying a different grip on it so that could very well be it. The revolver is an EAA Windicator 357 and the ejector rod jammed up. So far I am not impressed with EAA customer support. Called them twice and all they would tell me is that I had to send it to them on my dime and pay for return shipping as well.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Count me in as another who thinks your grip may be hampering slide lock.

I had the same issue with one of my semi autos. Watch your thumbs. They are likely interfering with the slide stop.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It's an XD9. I was trying a different grip on it so that could very well be it. The revolver is an EAA Windicator 357 and the ejector rod jammed up. So far I am not impressed with EAA customer support. Called them twice and all they would tell me is that I had to send it to them on my dime and pay for return shipping as well.

I wish we were closer, I would be happy to look at it .....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Grip is the likely issue as said. I had the same issue going from my 1911 style grip to a Sig, where Sig helpfully puts the slide release right where I was used to the thumb safety being.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I'd take it to a smith first, I had a problem with my EAA import, took it to the smith and he fixed it for $25, less than half the cost of shipping only to the factory.
    I asked them if it was covered under warranty since I was owner #2 and they refused to answer so I didn't think it was worth sending in and having them bill me for repairs too.
    If it's a simple fix it should be cheaper than shipping it, and if it's not you might want to ask your smith if he can ship it, he'd be able to do it cheaper than you can.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I had this problem with my PPQ. I have to be sure to lay my right thumb on the back of the meaty part of the hand between my thumb and forefinger.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    One possible cause - worn magazine spring that cannot lift the follower high enough or fast enough to engage the slide stop. If you don't know the age of the magazine springs or they have been left fully loaded for some time (yes, it will kill a weak or poorly tempered spring and is a major cause of last round failure to lock open) then replace them with new quality springs from Wolff or ISMI. Just about all of the stock factory springs are poor quality and will not hold up. Cycling slowly by hand will not tell you much - the slide runs much faster when the gun is firing. Second possibility is a worn recoil spring that is allowing the slide to move quickly enough that the magazine follower cannot get up in time to catch the notch and lock the slide back. In my experience 90% of problems in a semi auto are caused by weak springs. But first, as others have pointed out - eliminate any possibility that your thumb is just being stupid and flopping around. Those thumbs'll get ya.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom