• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    First thing I did was put a copper core plug in and Mobile 1.

Please educate me on this copper core plug. how find and Why?

Thank you

24Carat is referring to the type of spark plug and oil installed in the engine. Copper is an excellent conductor of electricity – better than any other type of material used in spark plugs – and also transfers heat faster. The Mobil 1 is a full synthetic type of oil and has a very wide operating temperature range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It looks like that information might be scratched off of the label... or in the back of the unit (which I ain't gonna move for right now lol).

View attachment 84390

By the way, after doing some research on that generator from Costco, I found out that it wasn't a true Yamaha, but was just powered by a Yamaha engine. There's a cheaper version of the exact same unit available on Amazon that uses a Senci engine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M8P1RFW

Yeah that label has seen better times.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I took a better picture of my setup. LP driven 7800 watt generator connected to the cabin charging a 12V battery bank via inverter-charger in the building. This configuration will charge up to a 30 amp rate until the batteries hit 14V, then it will level off to 3 amp float charging rate. At that point I'm spending more in LP than I'm gaining in batter charge so I usually shut it down when it hits float. Every light in the house is LED, it makes a big difference in load over incandescent.

001.jpg

Last edited:

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    My 2000 watt peak / 1600 watt running genset has no issues running an upright freezer.

I sold my big generator, I just have the small eu2200 now. Out of curiosity I took the cover off my load center and used a clamp on current meter. It allows me to measure peak and running wattage of each circuit. I wanted to be able to run wood furnace, refrigerator, and freezer, and a few lights and such. I thought the furnace would be the largest load, but the (old) fridge turned out to be higher, 2160 starting watts actually, but only 300 running. I discovered I need to start fridge first, then freezer, then furnace - by managing the loads I can run all three at once. But it's tricky and has to be timed right. My plan is to run the bare minimum necessary to conserve fuel.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I sold my big generator, I just have the small eu2200 now. Out of curiosity I took the cover off my load center and used a clamp on current meter. It allows me to measure peak and running wattage of each circuit. I wanted to be able to run wood furnace, refrigerator, and freezer, and a few lights and such. I thought the furnace would be the largest load, but the (old) fridge turned out to be higher, 2160 starting watts actually, but only 300 running. I discovered I need to start fridge first, then freezer, then furnace - by managing the loads I can run all three at once. But it's tricky and has to be timed right. My plan is to run the bare minimum necessary to conserve fuel.

Well done figuring out how to run all the appliances you want on a small genny. You make do with what you have. This is the reason I continue with a larger rated one. I'm old, I don't want to spend the night worrying over which one's going to start up next.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is what I have stressed in other threads/posts. But never really caught any ears. You near maxed out your 2200 starting 1 device. And folks claim they can run 3 on a 1600. :bs:
    I have spent a lot of time messing with this stuff. We have 2 houses and a shop on the compound. I can tell you about what LRA inrush is on most appliances. Our current units will run the essentials. And even at that we have to be diligent. Don't convince yourself that cheap will work.

Figure out your loads and split up the run times. Or get a bigger genny.

Tripping over $5 bills to save quarters. You can hurt your appliances short changing them on power.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is what I have stressed in other threads/posts. But never really caught any ears. You near maxed out your 2200 starting 1 device. And folks claim they can run 3 on a 1600. :bs:
    I have spent a lot of time messing with this stuff. We have 2 houses and a shop on the compound. I can tell you about what LRA inrush is on most appliances. Our current units will run the essentials. And even at that we have to be diligent. Don't convince yourself that cheap will work.

Tripping over $5 bills to save quarters. You can hurt your appliances short changing them on power.

It's the same people when we talk about glass. I want to shoot MOA at 1,000 yds and my budget is $350 - what should I buy?

Darwin was on to something, you know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's the same people when we talk about glass. I want to shoot MOA at 1,000 yds and my budget is $350 - what should I buy?

Darwin was on to something, you know.

I get it. We see it all the time. Heck I argued with my Dad about his needs for the camper. Buddys we went on the road racing with. They had to tap my power at times because the were short on their rigs. We really miss the system we had in the trailer.

I get it. Budgets and all. We started out smaller than we needed (Honda EU2200...:):) and figured out how to make due and then started trading up. Steadily getting bigger and better units. The last 4 we have acquired were right here. In the class's on Ingo. We will have to be careful but nowhere near what we used to.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    This is what I have stressed in other threads/posts. But never really caught any ears.

And even at that we have to be diligent. Don't convince yourself that cheap will work.

Come on CM. I'm certain you caught ears, most folks don't want to acknowledge that their plan to get by on the cheap might have several holes in it.

Great wisdom and advice from the Mouse.

I'm not trying to be an apple polishing butt kisser. This is just great, straight forward advice that is well summed up.

I hope that folks following this thread will accept this as truth and will be helped by it.

Sometimes it helps for the preacher to have a choir.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Come on CM. I'm certain you caught ears, most folks don't want to acknowledge that their plan to get by on the cheap might have several holes in it.

Great wisdom and advice from the Mouse.

I'm not trying to be an apple polishing butt kisser. This is just great, straight forward advice that is well summed up.

I hope that folks following this thread will accept this as truth and will be helped by it.

Sometimes it helps for the preacher to have a choir.

My apology's for getting ruffled. Yesterday was not a good day for the mouse and I let that eek into other areas.
    Equipment varies. Peoples needs vary. Expectations on outcome are pretty close. We all want our plans to work.
    My experiences in life have put me in some unique situations and allowed me to rub elbows with some sharp cats.
    I have spent a lot of time dealing with electric inputs and supply power issues on a commercial and industrial level. Not a rocket scientist. Just a lot of boots on the ground knowledge.
    I learn from you guys every day. Something new comes along in guns ammo or in this thread. The knowledge and sharing of same is great for me.

Get enough power. You will not regret it. We have been on this track for years and just now feel adequate if we need to go off grid.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Let me know when you understand ohms law.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me know when you understand ohms law.

Really. That's cold man. I understand the rules. Lived by them my entire adult life in the trades.
    If you feel like I called you out so be it. I apologized for that. No direct knock on you. Just the cheap out mind set.

I speak from real experiences. I have a 1250W genny that will not run an older side by side refer/freezer due to inrush current. It will run a smaller one but takes a hit from idle. If it is up at speed yes it might do it. Idling and waiting for load...Â…...NFW.
    Same with the 3000's I bought to run the job sights. Idling in waiting and starting a circular saw would literally kill them. They were cheap units. If you revved them up and then triggered the saw they were OK. Lessons learned.

Ohms is a constant in a controlled situation. I guess we could argue that endlessly but I stated I am no rocket scientist. I know what has worked and understand why it did. I have some really nice Amp clamps. And we know how to use them. Real world. That's what I use.

Have you ever stood next to a compressor in a brown out and heard it hurt itself trying to start. I have more times than I can list/remember. Little ones to 1000 HP units/machines. My entire point is why would you do that to your appliances on purpose.

JMHO and stated from my personal experiences. Nothing more.

Now, lets gear up and have at it I guess.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a 1250W genny that will not run an older side by side refer/freezer due to inrush current.

For this purpose, what's considered an "old" appliance? Is 2000s old now? 90s? 80s?

Do old appliances draw more startup current because the parts deteriorate with time, or is it because the advancement in energy standards weren't as good when they were originally made?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Really. That's cold man. I understand the rules. Lived by them my entire adult life in the trades.
    If you feel like I called you out so be it. I apologized for that. No direct knock on you. Just the cheap out mind set.

I speak from real experiences. I have a 1250W genny that will not run an older side by side refer/freezer due to inrush current. It will run a smaller one but takes a hit from idle. If it is up at speed yes it might do it. Idling and waiting for load...Â…...NFW.
    Same with the 3000's I bought to run the job sights. Idling in waiting and starting a circular saw would literally kill them. They were cheap units. If you revved them up and then triggered the saw they were OK. Lessons learned.

Ohms is a constant in a controlled situation. I guess we could argue that endlessly but I stated I am no rocket scientist. I know what has worked and understand why it did. I have some really nice Amp clamps. And we know how to use them. Real world. That's what I use.

Have you ever stood next to a compressor in a brown out and heard it hurt itself trying to start. I have more times than I can list/remember. Little ones to 1000 HP units/machines. My entire point is why would you do that to your appliances on purpose.

JMHO and stated from my personal experiences. Nothing more.

Now, lets gear up and have at it I guess.

You say im bullsh!t and im the cold one... I did my Union Journeymanship, Thank you.
    Not interested in having at it. Have a good day.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You say im bullsh!t and im the cold one... I did my Union Journeymanship, Thank you.
    Not interested in having at it. Have a good day.

So you are saying my Journeyman's status is worthless. We all have our niche.
    I have a lot of real world knowledge gained in the trenches over a 70 year long life. I am wrong on occasions. I may be wrong in your eyes. I am willing to discuss this as a couple of guys that seem to have a handle on this. Not as a mod. Just us figuring this out. If you have a 650 peak watt genny that will run a freezer I need to see that. I called :bs: on that. As I stated my 1250W will not run any of my 3 refrigerators. We have tried. And it will not do it. So in that I do not understand Ohms law.....????
    Yes that's cold. Possibly asking "If" I understand ohms law might have actually been a question not a snarky come back. I also apologized for my comment. And explained it.

Do as you will people. Its your money and your gear. Luck to all.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    So you are saying my Journeyman's status is worthless. We all have our niche.
    I have a lot of real world knowledge gained in the trenches over a 70 year long life. I am wrong on occasions. I may be wrong in your eyes. I am willing to discuss this as a couple of guys that seem to have a handle on this. Not as a mod. Just us figuring this out. If you have a 650 peak watt genny that will run a freezer I need to see that. I called :bs: on that. As I stated my 1250W will not run any of my 3 refrigerators. We have tried. And it will not do it. So in that I do not understand Ohms law.....????
    Yes that's cold. Possibly asking "If" I understand ohms law might have actually been a question not a snarky come back. I also apologized for my comment. And explained it.

Do as you will people. Its your money and your gear. Luck to all.

Please post where I disparaged your education at all?
    And I'm not the one here who said I'm full of bullsh!t, you are the one who opened that door...
    And if you believe that a 650w Honda generator will not run a 1.9A freezer at 228 watts,

Generator specs are AC output 120v 650W max (8.3 amps), 550W rated (4.6 amps) so its running at what 52% load. With a 48% margin for startup..

Time to go, I have a business to run.. Good Day

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    24Carat is referring to the type of spark plug and oil installed in the engine. Copper is an excellent conductor of electricity – better than any other type of material used in spark plugs – and also transfers heat faster. The Mobil 1 is a full synthetic type of oil and has a very wide operating temperature range.

I understand copper conductivity. Does this give a better spark? Thus doing what for us w the genny?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please post where I disparaged your education at all?
    And I'm not the one here who said I'm full of bullsh!t, you are the one who opened that door...
    And if you believe that a 650w Honda generator will not run a 1.9A freezer at 228 watts,

Generator specs are AC output 120v 650W max (8.3 amps), 550W rated (4.6 amps) so its running at what 52% load. With a 48% margin for startup..

Time to go, I have a business to run.. Good Day
    Wow.
    I guess apologies don’t count any more.
    OK.

I said I would have to see it. Running at those number yes. Starting it up is my issues. Ease up killer.

And yes you did.

Top Bottom