• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gas stations are alert places for me. You have short distracting job to do, don't get me started on the blaring gas station TV, and you are usually hemmed in by the your car, the pump and hose. The only good thing is the usual abundance of reflected elements which you can use to catch movement behind you, and the dispenser is a great short range weapon. Trouble that gets hosed down with gasoline isn't trouble for long.;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gas stations are alert places for me. You have short distracting job to do, don't get me started on the blaring gas station TV, and you are usually hemmed in by the your car, the pump and hose. The only good thing is the usual abundance of reflected elements which you can use to catch movement behind you, and the dispenser is a great short range weapon. Trouble that gets hosed down with gasoline isn't trouble for long.;)
    Same here. I keep my head up and purposely look at every other car at the pumps as well as other parked cars and people going in and out of the building(s).

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Same here. I keep my head up and purposely look at every other car at the pumps as well as other parked cars and people going in and out of the building(s).
    Me too, plus the people who come up wanting gas money or handout! If I feel in a giving mood, can tell they are ALONE, and have to go inside myself, I'll tell them I'll go in and put $5 or $10 on your pump for you. Otherwise I just politely tell them I can't help them out today. You always have to be careful that they might be creating a distraction for a nearby accomplice to swoopin!

Early in the Spring of 2020; pre-COVID, on an early workday morning around 4 a.m., I had just parked at a gas pump. I noticed a running parked car about 30 feet away not near any of the pumps. I unclipped my seat belt and unlocked my door. Then out of the corner of my eye, I caught movement in my passenger mirror and quickly turned. A young lady, maybe early 20's, had run up along my passenger side and flew open my passenger door and said: "Hey...I.." and tried to sit down. I yelled: "W T F are you doing? Get the F out of here!" It scared her to death and she looked at me and said: "Oh my God!" and then took off running to the parked car. I think it was just a case of mistaken car-identity. It happened so damn fast! I stayed inside my car with my hand near my CC and waited while the other car sped off into the darkness. It sure made me think twice to check out my surroundings BEFORE just quickly getting ready to get out. All it takes is one incident like that to keep you laser focused. When I shared me experience with all my family and friends it was a real eye-opener for them. I can chuckle about it now and still remain vigilant. But, I'll bet that young lady will NEVER forget that experience either, LOL!

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    It’s easy enough to keep your head on a swivel while pumping gas into your vehicle, but where I worry is when I’m there to fill up my gas cans. You have to keep eyes on the can while filling up so you don’t miss or overflow plus the cans are typically on the ground so you’re looking down to boot. Not the best orientation for optimal SA!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Thought this was as good a spot for this as any:

I tend to be very paranoid about social interactions, which I guess is warranted now.

The first nice weekend of the 2021 year I had a few hours to kill so I took a walk on the B&O trail. I passed a younger kid in a sweat suit with the hood pulled up. Thought it looked weird but he was on a bike going the opposite direction (he was headed West, I was headed East) so I just kept moving. Heard from behind "Excuse me sir?". The kid had turned around and was headed toward me. He asked me if I was interested in buying "Fresh edibles." I told him "No, I'm good but thanks" and he headed back the way he was going.

Took a ride with my son (6 year old) yesterday afternoon and passed two younger guys about the same demographic going the same direction. I kind of felt bad for profiling but I couldn't help but assume they were from Marion county and using the B&O as a convenient drug highway for the suburbs.

Didn't feel threatened in any way, but I guess I'm gonna have to start packing heat everywhere now....really caught me off guard. Didn't expect that in the middle of the afternoon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It’s easy enough to keep your head on a swivel while pumping gas into your vehicle, but where I worry is when I’m there to fill up my gas cans. You have to keep eyes on the can while filling up so you don’t miss or overflow plus the cans are typically on the ground so you’re looking down to boot. Not the best orientation for optimal SA!
    I tend to fill my gas cans at Countrymark with non-ethanol gas and it seems fairly safe compared to a gas station, that said one still must be vigilant.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I guess I'm gonna have to start packing heat everywhere now..
    You don't already?

I don't just wear a seatbelt on days I expect to crash my car. I don't only keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen on days when I expect to have a fire. I don't only carry a knife on days when I expect to open packages.

A gun is a tool. Keep it on you. Take it everywhere.

That's the thing about self-defense encounters, the bad guy always picks the time and place when they happen. The only say you have in the matter is whether you present yourself as an easy target, and whether you are prepared to fight back.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    You don't already?

I don't just wear a seatbelt on days I expect to crash my car. I don't only keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen on days when I expect to have a fire. I don't only carry a knife on days when I expect to open packages.

A gun is a tool. Keep it on you. Take it everywhere.

That's the thing about self-defense encounters, the bad guy always picks the time and place when they happen. The only say you have in the matter is whether you present yourself as an easy target, and whether you are prepared to fight back.
    You're not wrong. I assumed too much about the risk being low, and wasn't wearing good carry clothing. Just basketball shorts.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're not wrong. I assumed too much about the risk being low, and wasn't wearing good carry clothing. Just basketball shorts.
    The recreational aspect of trails give them an appearance of safety that bad guys do take advantage of. Bad guys are known to use ice cream trucks to deliver drugs. Once bought nephews toy walkie talkie's (toys, not FMS) they were playing with on Christmas when a pusher offered to sell them drugs. Who would have thought that?

I have seen the bad guys break glass accross the trail to flat tires to mug folks when they stopped their bike. Trails are just another place to keep your head on a swivel, sadly, not a place to clear your head...

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.

I live by the old Boy Scout Motto, "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

Even if I'm not carrying, there is some sort of firearm within arm's length at all times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thought this was as good a spot for this as any:

I tend to be very paranoid about social interactions, which I guess is warranted now.

The first nice weekend of the 2021 year I had a few hours to kill so I took a walk on the B&O trail. I passed a younger kid in a sweat suit with the hood pulled up. Thought it looked weird but he was on a bike going the opposite direction (he was headed West, I was headed East) so I just kept moving. Heard from behind "Excuse me sir?". The kid had turned around and was headed toward me. He asked me if I was interested in buying "Fresh edibles." I told him "No, I'm good but thanks" and he headed back the way he was going.

Took a ride with my son (6 year old) yesterday afternoon and passed two younger guys about the same demographic going the same direction. I kind of felt bad for profiling but I couldn't help but assume they were from Marion county and using the B&O as a convenient drug highway for the suburbs.

Didn't feel threatened in any way, but I guess I'm gonna have to start packing heat everywhere now....really caught me off guard. Didn't expect that in the middle of the afternoon.
    That you are not packing disturbs me.
    Your deal of course but it is getting strange out there among them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The recreational aspect of trails give them an appearance of safety that bad guys do take advantage of. Bad guys are known to use ice cream trucks to deliver drugs. Once bought nephews toy walkie talkie's (toys, not FMS) they were playing with on Christmas when a pusher offered to sell them drugs. Who would have thought that?

I have seen the bad guys break glass accross the trail to flat tires to mug folks when they stopped their bike. Trails are just another place to keep your head on a swivel, sadly, not a place to clear your head...
    The wolves waiting on the sheep.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    That you are not packing disturbs me.
    Your deal of course but it is getting strange out there among them.
    I agree.

1nderbeard...Could you ever forgive yourself if you couldn't protect your loved ones from the wolves when they attack and you're not prepared? Reaction is always slower than action, but with good SA; like you've already show you have, at least you would have a fighting chance! Knowing you did all you could do at that instant would still haunt you for the rest of your life. But knowing you couldn't when they needed you the most? That would be a living hell!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have noticed recently, that because I have not been out and about much for the last 2 years (because of bad knees) that when I go out now that my SA and unusually developed Spidey sense are severely impaired.

I have to really work at it and I have been completely surprised when someone comes up from behind that I didn't catch.

Now that I am back on my feet I need to redevelop it. Along with the muscle mass I lost in my legs.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I have noticed recently, that because I have not been out and about much for the last 2 years (because of bad knees) that when I go out now that my SA and unusually developed Spidey sense are severely impaired.

I have to really work at it and I have been completely surprised when someone comes up from behind that I didn't catch.

Now that I am back on my feet I need to redevelop it. Along with the muscle mass I lost in my legs.
    At least you realize you have to redevelop your SA skills and senses. Doing that gradually every time puts you way ahead of all the others who are completely unaware and are the easy targets. Keeping you head up, watching for certain signs and signals isn't really hard to do...but the 'wolves' will probably notice you're not the easy prey. I'm definitely NO expert (and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express) but with a SIL and nephew both LEOs, I listen to their daily experiences...it's a dangerous world we live in today. Stay frosty!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least you realize you have to redevelop your SA skills and senses. Doing that gradually every time puts you way ahead of all the others who are completely unaware and are the easy targets. Keeping you head up, watching for certain signs and signals isn't really hard to do...but the 'wolves' will probably notice you're not the easy prey. I'm definitely NO expert (and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express) but with a SIL and nephew both LEOs, I listen to their daily experiences...it's a dangerous world we live in today. Stay frosty!
    The danger exists from our complacency in holding our systems feet to the fire and locking those Ferrell mutts away when they break the law. These ass munche's have no fear anymore. They walk heads up and do as they will.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The danger exists from our complacency in holding our systems feet to the fire and locking those Ferrell mutts away when they break the law. These ass munche's have no fear anymore. They walk heads up and do as they will.
    Yeah riiiiggghht ,like that will happen.

I fear that our government has forsaken us. I see no light on the horizon. The legislation thread is so depressing I am thinking of unwatching it. I do not believe we have any representation.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have noticed while practicing SA I am frequently given extra scrutiny by businesses and sometimes LEO. I guess looking around and paying attention also fits the behavior of some bad elements. I guess they think I am up to something. Other than the extra glances and monitoring I’ve never had any major problems. Worth the trade off in my opinion.

Top Bottom