• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.

Most of us have heard this term, and I think we apply our own definitions to the term. Some may even call it having a sixth sense, or gut feeling, or just listening to your inner voice.

Personally, I believe all creatures, including humans are equipped with survival instincts, or the ability of self preservation, in order to live and survive. Flight or fight instincts.

My further belief, is that a large majority of people, either ignore these instincts, or choose to allow others to provide for their safety. IMO, I think as we have become more civilized, many have become more complacent in using these God given instincts in survival.

Can SA be learned? Not necessarily learned, as so much recognizing what it is, and paying attention to what your instincts are telling you to do. I believe these instincts can be nurtured.

A saying I read many years ago, and I have no recollection of where I read, but, "play the victim, and be the victim" Most people spend their entire day, and some, their entire lives, oblivious to the inherent dangers around them at all times. Take the time to spend a day around a large group of people, and just watch them for a period of time, to see what I'm talking about.

IMO, many people are simply lucky that they don't end being victims.

Discussion open!
    :pop:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I try to go by the Jeff Cooper rules of red yellow orange and white. I do think most people walk about in white most of the time. No situational awareness at all. I usually start my day in orange but will adjust accordingly.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I see it this way. My brain is the greatest tool that I was gifted with by God. Why not use what he gave us? He gave us abilities to survive, and functioning brain is one of those.

I have a good friend, that had a saying, "If the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, then every thing you come across, looks like a nail."

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Im no expert but humans are the only thing on earth that will go against their instincts so they dont offend someone. Ive heard multiple women say they wanted to cross the street when they saw a male standing outside but because of the male's race they didnt want to look racist so they didn't.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I try to always practice SA. it kills me to see the number of people who walk around with their faces in their phones and/or with earbuds in listening to music or a podcast. I tried jogging in the park one time with earbuds in and never did it again. I was a nervous wreck because I couldn't hear anything around me. I can easily see how people are victimized by criminals as they have no awareness of the world around them most of the time.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "Most people spend their entire day, and some, their entire lives, oblivious".......

You could've just stopped right there and been correct. I compare SA to driving. You're safer if you are paying attention to what's going on around you. Who's coming towards you, who's beside you, who's behind you, what are you going to do when they screw up, and expect them to screw up!

And ............ never sit with your back to the door in a restaurant!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Read Gavin de Becker's book- The Gift of Fear. Regardless of his politics, the book is a great study of listening to "that little voice". Coach recommended this book along with Left of Bang in his classes. Good reads if you take self-defense seriously.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Humans are not the greatest at "instinct". Animals have much better utilization of it.

I do think anyone can learn SA but certain temperaments grasp it better/quicker than others.

I, by my temperament tend to be a little more situational aware. I always thought I would have been a good detective.

Same thing with driving. I just don't see the cars around me. I see the blue Silverado with 4 occupants, etc.

I also don't do much of anything other than drive when I'm in the car and my phone is in my pocket when I'm out in public walking around.

This isn't to say I haven't dropped my SA at times. I do, I think most do. Fortunately when I did, nothing happened.

I tend to stay in yellow and elevate to orange when I sense something a little out of the ordinary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We as a species are far to easily distracted by shiny.
    Just watch the avg person on a walk or driving. They are in no way focused on the tasks at hand. Cell phone addiction is a primary source. I have watched people walk out in front of moving traffic with a phone in their face. I call them phone holders. 1st easy target for any aware preditor.

My spidey sense has faded just a bit with time but in these troubled days it has come full circle again.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We have had "instinct" drummed out of us since the time that cities started being formed. That was modern for them. And it's continued. Those of us in the "modern" world simply do not have to fear for our lives every single moment; nor do we have to protect "ours" all the time, nor do we have to hunt/gather our food every single day.

Situational awareness is a great thing. Listening to our "gut" can be an awesome thing - as long as you're listening to the right thing.

Our senses take in a ton more data than we consciously process and react to. Listening to instinct / gut is doing one's best to analyze and respond to a tad bit more of the data that we receive.

those who go around saying that "oh, I'm in condition orange the entire time I'm outside of my house" are liars. They may not know they are liars, though. Same with those people who say "I never let anyone within 6 feet of me". One simply cannot be on alert for that long. Just can't manage it from a mental standpoint. Can't function in life with your other life-duties.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    This is a fun topic.

I was born in california, and lived there till I was 8 or so. My parents were very keen to teach us to pay attention to who's around us, who's watching, who's trying to look like they aren't watching, who's oblivious to the world. Note the exits. When walking down the street use the store front windows to see who's behind you. Are they getting closer? Have they been there a long time. Of out with a lady and she has a purse. Keep the purse between you. Stuff like that.

When I walk out the door and leave my house I'm at like a 7. Always aware of who's around me.

My gf, comes from super nice very "waspy" north michigan. "Very safe nothing bad happens". She never pays attention to anything when we are out. She drifts through the stores in her own little world.

One habit I'm trying very hard to break is. She puts her purse in the shopping cart. Then decides she needs something 20 feet away so she just walks away, shopping cart and purse in the aisle ripe for the plucking.

-edit- didnt realize the post above mine basically called me out as a lair, so I look like a damn fool. Thanks a lot pal :)

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Humans are not the greatest at "instinct". Animals have much better utilization of it.

I do think anyone can learn SA but certain temperaments grasp it better/quicker than others.

I, by my temperament tend to be a little more situational aware. I always thought I would have been a good detective.

Same thing with driving. I just don't see the cars around me. I see the blue Silverado with 4 occupants, etc.

I also don't do much of anything other than drive when I'm in the car and my phone is in my pocket when I'm out in public walking around.

This isn't to say I haven't dropped my SA at times. I do, I think most do. Fortunately when I did, nothing happened.

I tend to stay in yellow and elevate to orange when I sense something a little out of the ordinary.

SA is completely lost on the vast majority of people and it is only going to get worse. Parents raised kids in a no risk environment and they have no idea how to access risk. They are not seeing "out of the ordinary".

It still amazes me, super mom buys the safest car, safest car seat to protect her kid, then cruises side by side beside a truck load of steel bars held on with straps and sees no danger of a tire blowing, straps breaking, just in la la land.

My wife knows where I want to sit and will get me the best spot when we are in a restaurant, this is particularly important when others are involved as it would be rude for me to jump ahead of everyone. Definition of best spot, back to the wall, can see the door and my truck out the window. LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife knows where I want to sit and will get me the best spot when we are in a restaurant, this is particularly important when others are involved as it would be rude for me to jump ahead of everyone. Definition of best spot, back to the wall, can see the door and my truck out the window. LOL
    My wife is the same way! She usually laughs because she knows the routine and how to jockey other's to the "right" seat leaving the proper seat for me. :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is a fun topic.

I was born in california, and lived there till I was 8 or so. My parents were very keen to teach us to pay attention to who's around us, who's watching, who's trying to look like they aren't watching, who's oblivious to the world. Note the exits. When walking down the street use the store front windows to see who's behind you. Are they getting closer? Have they been there a long time. Of out with a lady and she has a purse. Keep the purse between you. Stuff like that.

When I walk out the door and leave my house I'm at like a 7. Always aware of who's around me.

My gf, comes from super nice very "waspy" north michigan. "Very safe nothing bad happens". She never pays attention to anything when we are out. She drifts through the stores in her own little world.

One habit I'm trying very hard to break is. She puts her purse in the shopping cart. Then decides she needs something 20 feet away so she just walks away, shopping cart and purse in the aisle ripe for the plucking.

-edit- didnt realize the post above mine basically called me out as a lair, so I look like a damn fool. Thanks a lot pal :)

If the women in your life pump their own gas, the unlocked car with their purse on the passenger seat is an open invitation. Most have this bad habit too...

Top Bottom