• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife is the same way! She usually laughs because she knows the routine and how to jockey other's to the "right" seat leaving the proper seat for me. :)
    Yep. And now that my kids are getting older, they no longer question it.

And SA is good. Im sure it saved me from a mugging. I was pulling into the hardware store in a bad neighborhood. How bad? One of my coworkers was sitting at a light at that intersection with her 95yo mother around noon. A hoodlum walked up to the passenger window, smashed it, and pulled the purse out of the elderly lady's lap and ran.

Anyway As I park I see a young man wearing headphones beboping along headed my direction, cutting through the lot. I noticed there was nobody else around, and we are in a pocket away from the street, out of sight of most in the area. Nobody driving by us on the busy road can see.

I get out of the car and foolishly take the small wad of cash I had in my hand and shoved it into my front pocket and began walking toward the front door. (I had just made a withdrawal at the ATM) I suddenly realized the foolish thing I had just done given the environment.

No sooner did my hand come out of my pocket, I hear the young man yell "excuse me, sir!" He was still about 100' away and needed to get me to stop to approach without causing alarm. That confirmed my error, and I ignored him and kept walking. Once again, he more loudly called out to me "SIR! EXCUSE ME SIR?" I had no reason to interact with him and vice versa (I was more out of my element than he was) so I kept going into the store.

I looked out the window and he was still moving on his original track. If he truly needed to ask me something, I expect he would have followed me in. But there were people in there. And cameras. I sincerely believe I dodged a bullet that day. Why? I then saw another young man who fit into the area come around the corner from the other direction and they were walking toward each other. He made no attempt to interact with him and walked past him. That confirmed he had a specific reason he wanted to talk to me.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    But SA is more than just instinct. It's making a conscious effort to evaluate your environment for possible threats. For some people this comes naturally, but for others, it is a habit that must be learned.
    This, except that with practice it can be made a largely unconscious regular habit. Instinct, gut feel, whatever are important but are not "situational awareness." They can inform your SA.

I have no doubt that some people are naturally more observant than others. I know I am by nature prone to a high degree of focus on whatever task I am doing to the exclusion of outside inputs (and I max the introvert scale in the Briggs-Meyer personality scheme). This is helpful in certain domains (like when I was a hairy chested computer programmer*), not so much in others. Someone with a naturally high degree of sensitivity to outside activity would more naturally maintain SA, but probably at the expense of having to struggle to understand deeply complex tasks.

Aviation teaches pilots situational awareness for that environment, and teaches them specific tactics and techniques for maintaining SA. Infantry teaches a different set of tactic and techniques. Neither would have "great" SA in the others domain, although there would probably be some knowledge transference at a high level -- if nothing else, just know that learning SA requires some conscious effort.

As used in this thread, "situational awareness" means keeping track of potentially threatening people. (Some) People are the threat. So the self-defense domain focuses on people.

One of my friends that I learned a lot from, and did a lot of SD training with, devised a couple specific techniques to train self-defense SA. As he said, "people tell you to 'be alert,' but they don't tell you 'how' to be alert." So here are two of his techniques:

1. First technique: Hands-eyes-shirt-shoes-hats-tats. It's a mnemonic, it's easy to say and has a rhythm, making it easy to remember. It means scan and evaluate a person in that order. Makes you a good witness if nothing else.

Most important goes first:
    - Hands carry weapons. Empty hands, hidden hand, open hand, fist, gloves. (and by extension arms - tensed? at sides? Cocking for a punch?) What is he doing with his hands?

- Eyes reveal what the person is interested in and may reveal intentions. Is he looking at you? Is he specifically NOT looking at you? Is he checking the area for cops before acting? Is he just watching girls? Wearing a mask? (Hah!) Thousand yard stare? Checking his buddies' positions? Staring at his iphone?

- Shirt: Tucked in, shirt tail out, what's around the waistline, hiding something underneath, printing? Color, gang symbology, slogans, appropriate for the situation? By extension jacket? Appropriate for the season and situation? Bandidos patch?

- Shoes: While scanning from shirt to shoes, notice the pants. Same questions again, do they fit the situation? color? shorts? odd bulges (quit smirking, might be a pistol)? New, old, worn out, neat? And pretty much same questions for shoes -- do they fit the situation? Is he wearing a cop uniform but jail flipflops, might be escapee? Color style etc.

- Hats: Back to the head. Is he wearing a hat? what kind, color, again does it fit the situation? No hat, bald, poneytail, man-bun (eww)? What color/style hair? beard, 'stache? Earings?

- Tats: tattoos, and while you are at it, what color skin are the tats on? Gang tats, USMC, what?

Obviously with some practice you meld this together, and you would, mask permitting, probably also notice tats along with skin color while checking hands and eyes, but the point of the mnemonic is to give you a memorable checklist to make sure you cover and pay attention to most everything while scanning. It can inform your "gut feel".

2 Second technique: Go to the grocery store (Home Depot, whatever) and scan one-hundred people, consciously using the hands-eyes-shirt-shoes-hats-tats checklist. This is practice to help ingrain the first technique. Do as many times as necessary until it becomes a habit that you do everywhere.

The mnemonic is not a complete solution to "SA", it's just one technique, but it gives you a solid, actionable way to start being situationally aware. It's not just saying "Be alert! Watch for threats!" which are nice goals but not really actionable.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I think the instincts are there in everyone. Just that many people function in a society where they have a false sense of security and trust others to safeguard their lives. I think many people tend to nullify, or ignore those God-given instincts, and rely upon others for their safety and well-being.

First and foremost, I put the responsibility of my safety and well-being firmly within my control at all times. I trust that I have my own best intentions first and foremost, rather than to trust it to others.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    When I lived in Illinois I was a CCW instructor, I resigned because the state kept adding more stuff to instructors. I included a section on SA and used a newspaper article about a female University of Illinois student. She was walking home around 11:00 PM with her hoodie over her head watching something on her phone with ear buds in her ears. She was knocked down from behind and punched on the ground but could not describe her attacker. She was so involved in her own little world she was not even a witness to her own mugging. Jim.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I lived in Illinois I was a CCW instructor, I resigned because the state kept adding more stuff to instructors. I included a section on SA and used a newspaper article about a female University of Illinois student. She was walking home around 11:00 PM with her hoodie over her head watching something on her phone with ear buds in her ears. She was knocked down from behind and punched on the ground but could not describe her attacker. She was so involved in her own little world she was not even a witness to her own mugging. Jim.

Exactly. We do not live in a safe world. Anyone who does this is denying reality. They may get away with it all their lives, but I personally don't want to take that risk.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    Exactly. We do not live in a safe world. Anyone who does this is denying reality. They may get away with it all their lives, but I personally don't want to take that risk.

Some, maybe even most, are never confronted with reality, or with events that poke holes in their perception of reality.

Some people I think don't understand that really and truly evil people do exist in reality. They have a false sense of security that for the most part we live in civilized society, or if they live in certain areas or neighborhoods, that evil is kept away from them.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    those who go around saying that "oh, I'm in condition orange the entire time I'm outside of my house" are liars. They may not know they are liars, though. Same with those people who say "I never let anyone within 6 feet of me". One simply cannot be on alert for that long. Just can't manage it from a mental standpoint. Can't function in life with your other life-duties.
    Exactly correct. No one can be 'on' all the time; it's too physically and mentally demanding. If you think you have to be at condition orange at all times then you are most likely exhibiting some of the same physical clues/behaviors that most other SA people can quickly recognize. You can be situational aware and calm...until it's time NOT to be.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Many people in high people environments simply can not maintain that level of alertness. Big city folks already have over achieving adrenaline glands, you can only do as well as you can do. Simply having the knowledge that you need to pay attention gives you an advantage over the sheep.

I don't live there...I may be better at it than the conditionally neutered.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    SA is very important but at best it is only taught or learned to a half way standard. Half Way standards seem to be very common these days. Let us elaborate. When one studies HBA Human Behavior Analytics a whole new world of good information is at hand. For instance you see the mail being delivered to your house. Maybe a Jeep or white postal truck etc. Witnessing the route driver while on your street is one form of SA. Usually Condition White. However, Do you know your Postal workers name? Any relationship at all? How many kids they have etc.? Here is, with pinpoint accuracy, indication for room for improvement in real SA. You can expand this example to include everyone in your life you constantly come in contact with. Fellow employees, fellow shooting club members, your grocery store clerks that are regulars. etc. etc. etc. Have you built and nourished a relationship with all these people that you are around? That being asked, I know the answer will be in your contact list in your phone. Do you get a text as to your location as you are getting a package tomorrow from your personal carrier? Does something seem wrong about a coworker that you know from experience that he or she is acting funny today? The micro study of peoples personalities can be a life saver. Which ones are liars. Which ones can you get a reveal on character by prompting them with a statement? Which ones are insecure? Which ones are so proper that they will step out of the shower to pee? Which ones have failed at driving, marriage, finances etc? Which ones can you trust?. Which ones will have your back? Now before someone sounds the judging trumpet...remember facts are facts. There is a difference in observing facts and judging people.

Now I understand that in an unknown environment like the parking lot of a Walmart, you can't know everybody with a personal knowledge. But with the right skills and to knowing what to look for, you stand a better chance of coming out alive. People study is important in SA. In driving, in sports, in the alley, in the store, everywhere... Condition White is not even advised in church these days. So. does this kind of understanding and action take work and lots of effort? Yes. Just as much as learning to shoot to your best skill set. Is this kind of saturation rare? Yes, just as rare as untrained shooters as a percentage to gun owners. It is even more difficult for today's generation that have no people skills whatsoever along with introversion and of course a lack of motivation to earn this knowledge.
    So "Head on Swivel" is only part of SA. Being involved and reaping the benefit of relationship living will give one much better vision on what's happening around you or to you.

Peace

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This, except that with practice it can be made a largely unconscious regular habit. Instinct, gut feel, whatever are important but are not "situational awareness." They can inform your SA.

I have no doubt that some people are naturally more observant than others. I know I am by nature prone to a high degree of focus on whatever task I am doing to the exclusion of outside inputs (and I max the introvert scale in the Briggs-Meyer personality scheme). This is helpful in certain domains (like when I was a hairy chested computer programmer*), not so much in others. Someone with a naturally high degree of sensitivity to outside activity would more naturally maintain SA, but probably at the expense of having to struggle to understand deeply complex tasks.

Aviation teaches pilots situational awareness for that environment, and teaches them specific tactics and techniques for maintaining SA. Infantry teaches a different set of tactic and techniques. Neither would have "great" SA in the others domain, although there would probably be some knowledge transference at a high level -- if nothing else, just know that learning SA requires some conscious effort.

As used in this thread, "situational awareness" means keeping track of potentially threatening people. (Some) People are the threat. So the self-defense domain focuses on people.

One of my friends that I learned a lot from, and did a lot of SD training with, devised a couple specific techniques to train self-defense SA. As he said, "people tell you to 'be alert,' but they don't tell you 'how' to be alert." So here are two of his techniques:

1. First technique: Hands-eyes-shirt-shoes-hats-tats. It's a mnemonic, it's easy to say and has a rhythm, making it easy to remember. It means scan and evaluate a person in that order. Makes you a good witness if nothing else.

Most important goes first:
    - Hands carry weapons. Empty hands, hidden hand, open hand, fist, gloves. (and by extension arms - tensed? at sides? Cocking for a punch?) What is he doing with his hands?

- Eyes reveal what the person is interested in and may reveal intentions. Is he looking at you? Is he specifically NOT looking at you? Is he checking the area for cops before acting? Is he just watching girls? Wearing a mask? (Hah!) Thousand yard stare? Checking his buddies' positions? Staring at his iphone?

- Shirt: Tucked in, shirt tail out, what's around the waistline, hiding something underneath, printing? Color, gang symbology, slogans, appropriate for the situation? By extension jacket? Appropriate for the season and situation? Bandidos patch?

- Shoes: While scanning from shirt to shoes, notice the pants. Same questions again, do they fit the situation? color? shorts? odd bulges (quit smirking, might be a pistol)? New, old, worn out, neat? And pretty much same questions for shoes -- do they fit the situation? Is he wearing a cop uniform but jail flipflops, might be escapee? Color style etc.

- Hats: Back to the head. Is he wearing a hat? what kind, color, again does it fit the situation? No hat, bald, poneytail, man-bun (eww)? What color/style hair? beard, 'stache? Earings?

- Tats: tattoos, and while you are at it, what color skin are the tats on? Gang tats, USMC, what?

Obviously with some practice you meld this together, and you would, mask permitting, probably also notice tats along with skin color while checking hands and eyes, but the point of the mnemonic is to give you a memorable checklist to make sure you cover and pay attention to most everything while scanning. It can inform your "gut feel".

2 Second technique: Go to the grocery store (Home Depot, whatever) and scan one-hundred people, consciously using the hands-eyes-shirt-shoes-hats-tats checklist. This is practice to help ingrain the first technique. Do as many times as necessary until it becomes a habit that you do everywhere.

The mnemonic is not a complete solution to "SA", it's just one technique, but it gives you a solid, actionable way to start being situationally aware. It's not just saying "Be alert! Watch for threats!" which are nice goals but not really actionable.
    Good mnemonic! It reminds me of being admonished not to do the "GunSight head-bob". Don't just look--SEE

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've posted this comment in a similar thread, but it's relevant here, so I will repost.
    ---------
    I talk about situational awareness and victim selection all the time with my kids, ages 9 and 5. It's part of a much broader ongoing conversation we have about paying attention to your world.

We watch videos from the Active Self Protection YouTube channel regularly and when we're out and about we play games to see who notices what. Sometimes if we're at the gas station I'll prep them and tell them I'm going to ask three questions about the scene when we leave to see what they observe. Stuff like, "what color jacket was the guy pumping gas next to us wearing? How many people were in the car parked in front of the store?" That kind of thing. Sometimes I let them ask me questions to see if they can stump me. They really like when they notice something I don't.

Just the other day we picked up Chinese takeout and we saw a soccer mom in a big SUV parked in front of the restaurant with the car running and her head buried in her phone. You could visibly see the post style locks on her doors were up, indicating that the doors were unlocked. I wasn't shy about telling the kids, "this is a perfect example of what not to do. Look how easy it would be for a bad guy to open the door and stick a gun in her face and drag her out of the driver's seat."

We also talk about emergency exits when we're in public places. "Where would you go if there was a fire in the grocery store?"

It's never to early to get your kids practicing situational awareness.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yep. And now that my kids are getting older, they no longer question it.

And SA is good. Im sure it saved me from a mugging. I was pulling into the hardware store in a bad neighborhood. How bad? One of my coworkers was sitting at a light at that intersection with her 95yo mother around noon. A hoodlum walked up to the passenger window, smashed it, and pulled the purse out of the elderly lady's lap and ran.

Anyway As I park I see a young man wearing headphones beboping along headed my direction, cutting through the lot. I noticed there was nobody else around, and we are in a pocket away from the street, out of sight of most in the area. Nobody driving by us on the busy road can see.

I get out of the car and foolishly take the small wad of cash I had in my hand and shoved it into my front pocket and began walking toward the front door. (I had just made a withdrawal at the ATM) I suddenly realized the foolish thing I had just done given the environment.

No sooner did my hand come out of my pocket, I hear the young man yell "excuse me, sir!" He was still about 100' away and needed to get me to stop to approach without causing alarm. That confirmed my error, and I ignored him and kept walking. Once again, he more loudly called out to me "SIR! EXCUSE ME SIR?" I had no reason to interact with him and vice versa (I was more out of my element than he was) so I kept going into the store.

I looked out the window and he was still moving on his original track. If he truly needed to ask me something, I expect he would have followed me in. But there were people in there. And cameras. I sincerely believe I dodged a bullet that day. Why? I then saw another young man who fit into the area come around the corner from the other direction and they were walking toward each other. He made no attempt to interact with him and walked past him. That confirmed he had a specific reason he wanted to talk to me.
    Turns out, when you stuffed some cash in your pocket you dropped a 20. He was trying to alert you of your mistake. But since you were rude and ignored him. He picked up the 20 and went about his day.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I find this relevant. John teaches SA tips as part of his class. Well worth the cost and travel if you arent local.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    If I want to live dangerously all I have to do is drive my wife to the mall, casino, any place with a parking garage or lot, and as we're leaving turn to her and say " now where did I park the car?"

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Turns out, when you stuffed some cash in your pocket you dropped a 20. He was trying to alert you of your mistake. But since you were rude and ignored him. He picked up the 20 and went about his day.
    That's not unpossible.

Back in the day, when I was doing parcel delivery, I was sitting in my step van checking paperwork.

I saw a woman walk out of the place I had just delivered to and, as she pulled her keys out of her purse, she dropped a $10 bill.

I noticed it skimming the pavement, hopped out and grabbed it, and walked over to her car and tapped on the window to return it.

She was smart. Door was already locked, she only rolled the window down a few inches.

She was appreciative, but I could tell she was scared.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I've posted this comment in a similar thread, but it's relevant here, so I will repost.
    ---------
    I talk about situational awareness and victim selection all the time with my kids, ages 9 and 5. It's part of a much broader ongoing conversation we have about paying attention to your world.

We watch videos from the Active Self Protection YouTube channel regularly and when we're out and about we play games to see who notices what. Sometimes if we're at the gas station I'll prep them and tell them I'm going to ask three questions about the scene when we leave to see what they observe. Stuff like, "what color jacket was the guy pumping gas next to us wearing? How many people were in the car parked in front of the store?" That kind of thing. Sometimes I let them ask me questions to see if they can stump me. They really like when they notice something I don't.

Just the other day we picked up Chinese takeout and we saw a soccer mom in a big SUV parked in front of the restaurant with the car running and her head buried in her phone. You could visibly see the post style locks on her doors were up, indicating that the doors were unlocked. I wasn't shy about telling the kids, "this is a perfect example of what not to do. Look how easy it would be for a bad guy to open the door and stick a gun in her face and drag her out of the driver's seat."

We also talk about emergency exits when we're in public places. "Where would you go if there was a fire in the grocery store?"

It's never to early to get your kids practicing situational awareness.

I frigging love this! Teaching your children not to be victims.

We have an old saying. Play the victim, be the victim.

I am one of those that believes that most victims of crime, actually set themselves up to be a victim, because not paying attention, or being oblivious to their environment, and the people around them.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Failure to follow your natural survival instincts and having a lack of situational awareness is like a failure of developing martial, firearms and other self defense skills. A failure in any of them will have you wishing for the rest of your life that you had listened to your gut and had developed those skills.

The rest of your life can be years or five minutes after you make the realization.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I took this from a blog. The author can reveal herself if she chooses.

The Zen of Self-Defense

Upon hearing the story of the bandit in the village, the student went to the Master:

"Master, it saddens me that this evildoer is preying on the helpless. I have listened to and practiced all that you have taught me to prepare myself; I truly believe in my heart that I can defeat this bandit.

Everywhere I go on my daily rounds, I keep an eye out for him, walking upright, staying alert and looking around, studying the people around me, and yet the monster never shows himself, never chooses me, but preys on the defenseless instead. Why, Master?"

The Master only smiled.

And the student was enlightened.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The most painless way to acquire a high level of SA ?? Work in the Armored Truck industry for a couple of years. I joked while in the orientation for the job whether I needed to paint targets on the back of my uniform shirts or did they come that way. The response I got was "Hold that thought, it will work for you." The time spent in that job burned it into my soul! It came quite easy actually. Don't ask me how to train SA, I don't have the patience or desire to do so.
    As was alluded to earlier in this thread, fear is your friend, embrace it!

Top Bottom