• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Ruger single six is a great revolver, while I got other Ruger Blackhawks I don't own one.

That's a nice one in that Hunter holster Indiucky.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Picked up my Ruger Single Ten today. So far I'm extremely pleased and I hope to get back out to the range and fire it this weekend. I'm already contemplating my next single action revolver.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    I think you'll thoroughly enjoy the single action. They are great fun to shoot and more than reasonably accurate.

My favorite is an early three screw. Aside from general plinking, I use it to dispatch varmints that have an interest in my chickens.

I have better luck with plated ammo. It shoots cleaner, building up less residue around the barrel cylinder gap.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My dad has a Ruger Single Six in .22lr and a Ruger Blackhawk in .30cal from the 1960s. These are the two Single Actions I have, a Heritage in .22lr and Ruger New Vaquero in .45lc.

attachment.php

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I think you'll thoroughly enjoy the single action. They are great fun to shoot and more than reasonably accurate.

My favorite is an early three screw. Aside from general plinking, I use it to dispatch varmints that have an interest in my chickens.

I have better luck with plated ammo. It shoots cleaner, building up less residue around the barrel cylinder gap.

Thank, I think so. It'll slow things down a bit, but that's perfectly fine with me. In fact I consider that all a part of the fun.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    Thank, I think so. It'll slow things down a bit, but that's perfectly fine with me. In fact I consider that all a part of the fun.

That is true. I go through a lot more ammo when I use a semi auto. The revolver adds to the therapeutic nature of shooting. Loading and unloading a single action takes a little longer. Cock and aim seems more deliberate. I enjoy the whole experience more. It's a great stress reliever. That's why I have been reluctant to move away from the single six, though my LGS has a single 10 that keeps catching my eye.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    That is true. I go through a lot more ammo when I use a semi auto. The revolver adds to the therapeutic nature of shooting. Loading and unloading a single action takes a little longer. Cock and aim seems more deliberate. I enjoy the whole experience more. It's a great stress reliever. That's why I have been reluctant to move away from the single six, though my LGS has a single 10 that keeps catching my eye.

Well actually I went with the Single Ten. I already have a GP 100 in 22 which I find slows things down a bit when comparing it to my Mark IV Hunter . The thing is with a Semi Auto once you load the multiple magazines then you can pretty much blow through the ammo as quickly as you wish but with a revolver your always stopping to reload every six or in my case ten with both of these revolvers.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    I'll look forward to your range report. When I pick one up my eye is drawn to all those extra notches along the cylinder. I'm really curious to see if you feel the overall fit and function seems different, or if it's just like shooting a single six with just a few extra rounds.

I love the nostalgia of the six gun, I'm wondering if it will spoil that "feel".

From a totally functional perspective I like the idea of a ten shot; maybe even with a scope. It would make a fine squirrel hunting rig.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I'll look forward to your range report. When I pick one up my eye is drawn to all those extra notches along the cylinder. I'm really curious to see if you feel the overall fit and function seems different, or if it's just like shooting a single six with just a few extra rounds.

I love the nostalgia of the six gun, I'm wondering if it will spoil that "feel".

From a totally functional perspective I like the idea of a ten shot; maybe even with a scope. It would make a fine squirrel hunting
    rig.

The fluting or notches are the one thing that really drew me to the single six. But I jus figured the six would slow me down a lot more than what I'm used to. I think the Single Ten will still do that just because I can't load the whole cylinder at one time like I can the GP 100 22. Well the cylinder isn't completely accessible anyway. I don't use nor do I intend on using any speedloaders in my GP 100 at least not at this point.

Without going to the range the Single Ten points fairly similar to my Mark IV Hunter and GP 100 22. In hand it's a slightly different feel but still similar in a lot of respects if that makes sense. My GP 100 shares the same barrel size but my Ruger Mark IV barrel is slightly larger at 7.5.

I don't own the Single Six but I did recently check one out at my LGS. They didn't have the Single Ten so that I could compare them together but from memory the only difference is the capacity and fluting but size wise they're exactly the same size. Or at least it sure seems that way based on how they both felt in my hand.

I think besides the lack of flutting the fiber optic sights also tend to make the Single Ten less nostalgic. This was my impression anyway. In fact those two things and the fact it appeared less nostalgic is why I initially struggled between the Single Ten and the Single Six. I just thought that I would be less likely to fire the Six because it was a Six and I thought the sights on the Ten would be better.

Funny how I'm now considering going the opposite way with the Vaquero vs the Blackhawk. But it was the whole Single Six thing that got me interested in getting a more nostalgic looking pistol. Frankly I find the Single Six just to blocky to be to nostalgic looking. I really wanted something more like the old Colt SAA. I initially considered the Uberti, but frankly I think Ruger to be the better choice. I would greatly prefer a 22 but the Ruger is such a better choice for many reasons in my opinion I'm even willing to consider a larger Cal.

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    Funny how I'm now considering going the opposite way with the Vaquero vs the Blackhawk. But it was the whole Single Six thing that got me interested in getting a more nostalgic looking pistol. Frankly I find the Single Six just to blocky to be to nostalgic looking. I really wanted something more like the old Colt SAA. I initially considered the Uberti, but frankly I think Ruger to be the better choice. I would greatly prefer a 22 but the Ruger is such a better choice for many reasons in my opinion I'm even willing to consider a larger Cal.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. What you don't get this time, you can always get next time. They are both fine revolvers.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I don't think you can go wrong either way. What you don't get this time, you can always get next time. They are both fine revolvers.

Exactly, basically that's how I figured it when I made the first purchase. The process to get the first one actually got me interested in the next one.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I just have to stay out of threads like this. One has now turned into three. No telling what three might end up turning into.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Well add taking a look at the bearcat. If you can find one with the Birdseye grip. Lipsey had one made called the shopkeeper. Other have had them made over the years. No 22 mag better accuracy with 22. Trimmer slimmer and smaller than the single six. Prefect for the Birdseye grip. To me much more proportional to the smaller 22 round. The single six is just a 357 mag size pistol made to fire 22 mag and LR. The bearcat seems to be proportioned to the 22 round.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Well add taking a look at the bearcat. If you can find one with the Birdseye grip. Lipsey had one made called the shopkeeper. Other have had them made over the years. No 22 mag better accuracy with 22. Trimmer slimmer and smaller than the single six. Prefect for the Birdseye grip. To me much more proportional to the smaller 22 round. The single six is just a 357 mag size pistol made to fire 22 mag and LR. The bearcat seems to be proportioned to the 22 round.

I also have the GP 100 22 and the Mark IV Hunter which isn't exactly small. Frankly I kind of enjoy firing the larger handguns in 22. I did take a look at the Bearcat the other day and my first impression was it was rather small. However when picking out my latest one today I did glance at the Bearcat and said to myself that I might have to give it another look at some point.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My brother bought a Single Six many years ago and has always been very fond of it. His does also have a mag cylinder. He also has a Blackhawk that shoots .357/38 as well as 9mm. 2 cylinders of course.

I'd like to have one of those. I have a Blackhawk convertible in 45 colt/45 acp (no moon clips) with a 7.5" barrel that I really enjoy shooting. I reload, so I can shoot either, but 45 acp is much cheaper. Having the option to shoot .357, .38 spl and the even cheaper 9mm would be really nice. One odd thing I noticed with mine is that I seem to shoot it better when I don't concentrate on getting a perfect sight picture. Seems like I do better with more of a "point and shoot" method. I have no idea why that is. :):

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    One odd thing I noticed with mine is that I seem to shoot it better when I don't concentrate on getting a perfect sight picture. Seems like I do better with more of a "point and shoot" method. I have no idea why that is. :):

I have the same experience. My first ruger single six is a vaquero. Being a devoted western fan, I bought one when they first came out. The original was a lot bigger than the colt, but much more affordable. I think the half moon front and rear notch are more reflective, so my group has a tendency to wonder with the sun. and change size with the amount of light. I'm not into the "fast draw" but I do think I hit silhouette type target with good consistency with instinctive point and shoot, relying on the natural alignment of arm to gun frame. I do this much better with cowboy plow handles than more modern revolver designs.

Now, again, if I want pinpoint accuracy, I go to a BH. But the Vaquero can been still be great fun and it stays truer to the old west feel. I still have mine from the first production series.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Just got back from the range. The single action does slow you down a bit. Not only loading and unloading but it does tend to make me more deliberate when firing because of the amount of time it takes to unload and reload so I tend to make the most out of the time I am firing the gun. I think the thing I struggled a bit with was unloading just because the ejector doesn't line up with where the cylinder locks but that wasn't that bad. Fairly easy to achieve a sight picture and it's a bit lighter than the Mark IV and my GP 100 22. Overall I'm still better with the Mark IV but I'm better with the Single Ten than the GP 100 22 and I attribute part of that to being more deliberate.

All in all I would say it's a very enjoyable experience and good interaction to be had with a gun. If your not willing to be patient it most certainly isn't the gun for you. I have no problem being a patient as for me it's not about how many as about just enjoying the time that I am at the range.

Top Bottom