• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Just out of curiosity, is the military honestly having issues meeting recruitment goals. Last I knew, they lowered enlistment maximum age due to having so many people apply. Has that trend reversed?

Kut (doesn't know)

I dont know about the max age for enlistment is, but do know there is a big recruitment and a retention problem for the Army.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    Just out of curiosity, is the military honestly having issues meeting recruitment goals. Last I knew, they lowered enlistment maximum age due to having so many people apply. Has that trend reversed?

Kut (doesn't know)

All depends how the economy is doing. I recall speaking to a couple of recruiters while I was in the Navy. They stated their recruitment depended upon the economy. If the economy was doing well they had difficulty meeting recruitment goals and if the economy was doing poorly people were waiting in line to get in the military. When the economy is doing well people do not want to join because there are jobs out there to be had. During the good times they recruited quite a few aliens because citizens did not want to join because there was jobs.

When the military has an abundance of people to choose from recruitment standards are raised when there are less volunteers the standards are lowered.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I do not have a big problem with this if it is applicable to children of illegal aliens that were brought into this country illegally with their parents. They did not have a choice when they came to this country, and for many of them they grew up being American. Why not give them the chance to succeed. If they spend their lives working for pennies as illegals, draining our system of resources they will have more negative impact then affording the opportunity to serve this nation, and give back to this country in the form of taxes which in the end benefits us all.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't have a problem letting people in provided it is done correctly. I'd like to see the entitlement programs which lure many to this country cut off to stem the flow of those coming here for the wrong reasons.

That said, I served for 6 years in the Army and one of the better friends I made was of Mexican descent, born and raised in El Paso, TX. At least half of his family still lived in Mexico and the only difference between him and his cousins was where they were born. He was a fine soldier and I see no reason why his cousins wouldn't have as well. Good family, good upbringing, english as a second language every one of them and the only difference was being born a few miles on either side of a border.

We also have a significant number of officers on IMPD who have migrated to this country. I can think of more than a few who work their butt's off and do an excellent job. I don't see where there would be much of a difference with this type of a program. Enlisting in the military is a pretty significant commitment, I'd be inclined to think any foreigner willing to commit to that would have some pretty honest intentions and I have no problem with immigrants willing to earn their citizenship.

As I said before, I don't doubt some really good people could be found in this manner. But this idea is not being floated for the primary purpose of making the military better. It's being done to find more pathways to citizenship for illegals, to which I am opposed. I view it as another example of people hitching their failed social agendas to the military, which is supposed to have a Constitutional purpose which is clearly-defined. Turning over every possible leaf to cut a deal for lawbreakers isn't supposed to be it (imo). I do understand some would attempt to massage the Overton Window more gradually by restricting it on the first go-round to children who were brought here, etc. But that sort of vote-rigging really doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I dont know about the max age for enlistment is, but do know there is a big recruitment and a retention problem for the Army.

Pretty sure its 35 unless waived for certain things (e.g. Physicians), and yes, even though I'm too old, I still check it from time to time as I'm wondering if I still should pony up and actually serve my country officially given all that is going on. Might even consider doing that if it came down to having to fill with folks that weren't at least on a path to legal citizenship.

Like Phylodog said...I know a lot of folks that immigrated legally from all over the world and they are some of the hardest working folks I know, and also some of the most appreciative of the freedoms we have here in the USA. At times, I wonder if they appreciate that freedom more, and therefore are more willing to fight for it, than many of the current generation of US born citizens that are expecting the government to do everything for them.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I

Kut (doesn't know)

The military generally has more personnel than they need right now since the only folks worth fighting are safe in the knowledge that POTUS 44 has their back. Many prospective recruits never even get to take the oath due to weight issues, etc. Those that do make it in are getting booted for some pretty minor stuff if discovered. There's a big glut of junior enlisted with little chance of breaking into the NCO ranks due to low turnover above.

Another example of jobs Americans just won't do anymore, all of a sudden?

Me thinks this just another example of the current administration conducting a social experiment.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In order to have an army of fighting men they had to go outside France to recruit...

Remember, even Napoleon was a Corsican...

(Tongue in cheek lower Midwest humor Sylvain...I.E. Just teasing...:))

The Foreign Legion is also a great way to deny the presence of French troups on the ground during special operations.
    Actually they are French citizens serving in the Legion as well but serving under a different/false nationality.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not really. Obama has been cutting down on the size of the military force and now wants new recruits with lesser ties to the United States. It's quite consistent if you can see the larger pattern.

O'rly? I imagine you think illegals get preference in recruitment too.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, the Romans had their auxiliaries, which worked out great for them. Until it didn't. No real allegiance to the empire, and when it began to falter, they took their training and used it on the Romans. Many a Visigoth had served under an eagle.

But the military has benefited greatly from legal immigrants, and I have known some fine soldiers who hail from some far flung places. My current platoon sergeant is Vietnamese, and I'd go to war with him any day.

But how seriously can you take the oath of someone who swears (or affirms) to "...uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and obey the lawful orders....." when they broke the law to get here in the first place. If they were born here or brought at an early age by illegal parents, that's one thing. But if you want to sneak in in a shipping container or swim the Rio Grande and walk straight into a recruiting office, screw you. Find your own way back.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, the Romans had their auxiliaries, which worked out great for them. Until it didn't. No real allegiance to the empire, and when it began to falter, they took their training and used it on the Romans. Many a Visigoth had served under an eagle.

But the military has benefited greatly from legal immigrants, and I have known some fine soldiers who hail from some far flung places. My current platoon sergeant is Vietnamese, and I'd go to war with him any day.

But how seriously can you take the oath of someone who swears (or affirms) to "...uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and obey the lawful orders....." when they broke the law to get here in the first place. If they were born here or brought at an early age by illegal parents, that's one thing. But if you want to sneak in in a shipping container or swim the Rio Grande and walk straight into a recruiting office, screw you. Find your own way back.

It's not one thing, it's the only thing...and they must have graduated from high school. No one is extending this benefit to illegals that came to the country on their own volition.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's not one thing, it's the only thing...and they must have graduated from high school. No one is extending this benefit to illegals that came to the country on their own volition.

I'm cool with that. Just as long as this joker for a CinC doesn't go expanding the program.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If the soldiers are okay with such a program, I personally think it's great. They'll learn a lot of great American values in our military that will help them integrate better into American culture when they get out.

If putting your life on the line for a country doesn't prove your loyalty to it, I don't know what does.

Top Bottom