Should the GOP continue to fight to delay obamacare?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Now that the failure of obamacare is starting to finally come to light for most people, and democrats are starting to feel a bit nervous of how they are going to support this monstrosity, is it a good idea for the GOP to continue to push for delaying implementation of the law?

Sounds like some democrats are starting to push for delaying the individual mandate, or extending the open enrollment (which really wouldn't change anything) I really don't know if it would be a good idea for the GOP to work with them to delay this pile of crap. It almost seems like it would be better just to let this thing get even more out of control and explode in the faces of the democrat party.

On the other hand, the GOP has been pushing for delaying/repealing for sometime now, and I don't see how they can simply say, "no, we don't want to delay it now..." should the democrats wanting to delay gain any traction in their party.

Since in reality completely repealing obamacare is off the table now, I don't know what would be better political strategy to gain in the House and Senate come 2014. To either help delay it so some of the pain is mitigated, or simply refuse to do anything except repeal/defund it and let it blow up on the dummycraps?????

Obviously the media is going to spin whatever they do in a way to help democrats. If the GOP goes along with delaying, then obama will be made to look like a great and reasonable king willing to be flexible to better his subjects. If the GOP says "**** off, you own this crap" the media will continue to make them look like they are unwilling to compromise when the democrats just wanted to help the little guy...

Basically I'm not seeing a clear cut way the GOP wins this next battle, and I'm seeing several ways they will be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again...anyone else have a different take on this?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    The best thing the GOP, or any representative of the people, could do, is to assess the "right thing to do", then do that. Regardless of your political lable, any representative can see we have a national debt spiraling out of control. If the GOP hopes to ever win another election, they'd best focus on the things they can affect. The cuts must come and it's going to hurt. You've laid out the no-win situation and the lay of the land, but the right thing to do for the American people is to get spending under control. In my opinion continuing to fight a single issue like Obamacare is only giving over to the well played hand of this administration. The GOP should continue to paint a face of cooperation on their face as to the details of the cuts, but adamant with regard to bringing spending under control and balancing a budget. Then PASSING a budget - first time in nearly 6 years unless my memory fails me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The country is collapsing under the weight of debt and division in every sector. The poorly designed socialized medicine plan called obamacare cannot be allowed to continue because it is destroying the last fibers holding our economy together, and there is a huge ocean of citizens who are being harmed in just the last couple weeks. Anyone who does not want a complete collapse of not only our political power but even our civilization MUST fight to eliminate this horrible plan.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Politically-speaking, I don't see how the Republicans can back away from continuing to work for the end of ObamaCare, and for a one-year delay of the mandate that individuals must have insurance. While this might take a powerful argument and put it on the back burner, so to speak, I think there will be continuing revelations about the sheer idiocy of this concept and what it is doing to the economy.

And, also politically-speaking, The Democrats are going to continue to blame all their problems on the Republicans, with the willing aid of the mainstream media.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Sure, go ahead and keep opposing it. If they believe that's right, then there's no reason they shouldn't represent what they think is right for the country. Now, picking a fight over the Debt Ceiling was sure to lose...but, it did get attention for the issue.

In a year, nobody will care much about a shutdown that happened a year ago, but when they get their policy canceled, their job reduced to part-time, or are paying more for less - it will be an opportunity for Republicans to say, "Well, if you recall, we fought pretty hard to save America from this, but, we simply did not have the numbers."

Then, they can tell Mr. and Mrs. America - "Next election will decide Cap & Trade and Immigration Reform (high energy bills and Amnesty). Pick your side, and Choose Wisely!"

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Absolutely...however like I said that isn't a possibility at the moment and delaying parts is looking like it is a possibility. But yes it obviously needs to be repealed as soon as possible

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They should continue to try to repeal. Simply delaying it only delays the consequences until after the elections. If the consequences of Obamacare are so great voters should get a chance to try it out and then show whether those consequences are good or bad by voting for or against the politicians who support it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Rush was talking yesterday about the notion that it was designed from the begining to fail, make the insurance companies and the doctors look like bad guys, the Federal Gov't look like saviors, and pave the way to a single payor healthcare system like Canada.

~That~ is a scary notion...

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    No delays!

I want to see the Leftists, Moderates , Independents RINOs suffer!

They are costing me $2400 more a year for insurance so let the sky fall HARD on them!

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Disagree, Ted Cruz is now too big, everyone knows he has faught against obamacare, everyone knows he and the republicans wanted the delay for a year, now democrats in the senate want it, the republics should go along with it and make it known it was their idea in the first place, Ted Cruz made this huge, everyone knows about it now. Democrats in the senate are asking for an extension, of course the media will spin it, twist it whatever, but people already know about the republicans wanting the delay during the shutdown. they should keep on it, and it will be a win for them.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The best thing the GOP, or any representative of the people, could do, is to assess the "right thing to do", then do that. Regardless of your political lable, any representative can see we have a national debt spiraling out of control. If the GOP hopes to ever win another election, they'd best focus on the things they can affect. The cuts must come and it's going to hurt. You've laid out the no-win situation and the lay of the land, but the right thing to do for the American people is to get spending under control. In my opinion continuing to fight a single issue like Obamacare is only giving over to the well played hand of this administration. The GOP should continue to paint a face of cooperation on their face as to the details of the cuts, but adamant with regard to bringing spending under control and balancing a budget. Then PASSING a budget - first time in nearly 6 years unless my memory fails me.

JJ the cuts will never come. You are believing the logical will happen and not understanding the political reality. Austerity doesn't sell in an election, especially when 49% of all American's are receiving some sort of needs based government support. People vote their wallets and unfortunately that means the cuts that are obvious to everyone will never be passed by politicians.

At this point it doesn't matter if a Rep or Dem is elected. No one is ever going to end the entitlement gravy train through the legislative process. Just look to Europe as an example. The countries you have heard are undertaking severe austerity measures in reality aren't doing a damn thing to end or slow their entitlement programs. It is political suicide.

The math is certain however. We will not and cannot ever pay for all the promises made by our elected representatives. They will simply do what all other bureaucrats have done under the same conditions - they will print money and blame all the resultant chaos on the same tired, hazy culprits. We will be told that there are profiteers, hoarders, price-gougers, unfair trade..... We will also be told that happy days are ahead, that things are getting better, that there is no need to worry and to go out and spend and that interest rates are going to be turning around and that the government has everything under control.

It's all the same lame BS that has played out hundreds of times throughout history when countries use fiat currency printing to try to hide their own math problems. The end in money printing is always the worst outcome as society is torn apart so we know that politicians will choose that route since they always pick the easy thing for them and the hard thing for the people.

When money dies things get awfully bad. And our money will die as the Fed prints to enable the government to spend well beyond it's means. Printing is now the only tool the Fed has and they must print to keep the government afloat. So print it is - to infinity.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    It really depends on their ultimate goal. If they want to win elections, they'll need to back off for now and concentrate on expanding the base. If they continue to fight it, they risk being at blame for not concentrating on other issues and alienate a lot of voters. I'm incline to believe they'll go for the former, as they'll need more than just the House to repeal obamacare.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm still confused why the GOP keeps fighting ACA. They fought a good battle, and lost. I'm pretty sure everyone KNOWS they're not a fan of it. If it's THAT bad, they should simply let it run it's course, and when it falls in its face they can give a collective "we told you so," and watch the popularity of the democrats sink. It's getting to the point that I'm starting to wonder if they think this might actually be something that people would like when it's finally running. If so, it makes sense for them to fight it so hard.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I'm still confused why the GOP keeps fighting ACA. They fought a good battle, and lost. I'm pretty sure everyone KNOWS they're not a fan of it. If it's THAT bad, they should simply let it run it's course, and when it falls in its face they can give a collective "we told you so," and watch the popularity of the democrats sink. It's getting to the point that I'm starting to wonder if they think this might actually be something that people would like when it's finally running. If so, it makes sense for them to fight it so hard.
    I personally think they are still fighting it because their constituents have probably pushed for them to fight this more than any other issues, and it's something easy for the RINOs to fight against and look like conservatives. They know their past and current efforts wouldn't go anywhere in the Senate...so, why not put up a fight and pay lip service to their constituents?

There are those that truly believe in fighting for our freedoms for sure (Paul, Cruz, Lee, I'm sure I'm missing a couple), and we see what the RINOs will do when they actually try something that COULD make a difference in the law...sit on the side lines or side with the democrats.

ETA: I will also say that I was SHOCKED that the cry baby Boehner actually put out a funding bill to strip obamacare of it's funding...actually made me think there was still just the slightest hope left for the current GOP getting something done...I was also surprised they held out as long as they did during the shutdown...I figured it would be like 2 days before they rolled over...16 was way past my expectations.

Top Bottom