• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I tried using the app Shotbud, it’s supposed to work in conjunction with the Apple Watch, it doesn’t work either.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We can build an AI system but not a reliable shot timer for a cell phone?? I can't believe it's that difficult for someone that knows what they are doing.
    Probably return on investment, how many would buy it. Even if profitable it would take a while. JMO

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The two on my phone now are both, interestingly enough, called Shot Timer. I see one of them isn't usable and isn't in the app store anymore.
    I had tried a couple as well. Looks like the only one that has been kept up to date is IPSC Shot Timer. Seems like it worked fairly well when I did.

This is for Android.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I had one in my phone. Seemed to work ok. I broke down and got a Competition Electronics Shot Timer.
    My concern was, using my phone meant; here I was, out on the range, handling my phone in and out of my pocket or, worse, laying it on the bench or handing it to someone else to use. Seemed like a bad idea overall.

_DSC0656.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The problem with shot timer phone apps isn't the software, it's the hardware. Your phone mic is designed to pick up conversations, it isn't designed to (reliably) read sudden loud noises. Sort of like taking your 2004 Camry to the drag strip... you'll get from one end to the other eventually but won't be competitive. Might be usable for timing yourself but not good for comparisons with someone else's phone or matches because different phones with different hardware will read different.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I wrote one for both iPhone and Android. It's part of a larger suite of gun range & gun owner tools: (Gun Vault Tools).

But it's not great. None of them are. The app is limited by the capabilities of your phone, both for sound pickup / recognition and for playback. The main challenge is to get it to reliably recognize shots but ignore other loud noises (such as the report / echo.) It's alright for occasional use, but a dedicated shot timer (not tied to the limitations of your smartphone) is superior for regular use.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Shot timers arent that expensive. Just buy the timer. And if you compete, I suggest buying what your club uses if you are the type to be helpful and let them borrow it in an emergency. (while you are shooting the match)

Dont be turned off by the Competition Electronics timers even though they are boxy and look like they were built in somebody's garage from Radio Shack parts. They are built like tanks. I have one and would buy another in a heartbeat.

And there are more expensive ones that have bluetooth to integrate with apps like practiscore. If mine ever breaks, I'll probably get the bluetooth model.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The two on my phone now are both, interestingly enough, called Shot Timer. I see one of them isn't usable and isn't in the app store anymore.
    I just dl one called Splits Shot Timer.
    When my son and I get together to shoot again will give it a try.
    Hopefully it's better than us trying to use stopwatch app.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm looking at actual shot timer now. We've had a few at work that didn't seem to last long (PACT and CED7000). Looking at the Kestrel and the new MDT (which looks like a rebadged Shooters Global... probably just the North American distributor). The kestrel seems to have a decent screen and is supposedly a lot heavier duty than the ones we had at work.

Top Bottom