• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Interesting that chose the DPP footprint. Price point not terrible for a "me too" product. I think I would go with Holosun though if I was looking.
    The footprint means another plate to buy if I was to put it on my CZ P10F. So add $50 more to the cost of the sight for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Taurus Competition. The newest Oxymoron.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
    But, but, but look at that thing! Puts a Blaster to shame!

In all seriousness, that kind of stuff isn't my cup of coffee as I prefer more minimal stuff but I did shoot a friend of mine's regular TX22 and thought it was fine.

I won't replace my MKII though.

What are compensators for? I thought they were primarily for recoil mitigation. Being on a .22, they must have other purposes.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

In all seriousness, that kind of stuff isn't my cup of coffee as I prefer more minimal stuff but I did shoot a friend of mine's regular TX22 and thought it was fine.

What are compensators for? I thought they were primarily for recoil mitigation. Being on a .22, they must have other purposes.
    They work well for helping the comp vendors make a boat payment.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

No idea on the compensator on the 22. I'll let others comment on that, but seems unneeded to me.

That said, I have a standard TX22 and that thing runs well and has some advantages over the Glock 44, as well as the M&P Compact 22 (which I also have). I also like it better than my AA Glock Conversion kit. For it's class of gun, it's a front runner IMO.

And, I wouldn't even say that the TX22 and the MKII are really in the same class/purpose of gun, so wouldn't expect either one to replace the other honestly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No idea on the compensator on the 22. I'll let others comment on that, but seems unneeded to me.

That said, I have a standard TX22 and that thing runs well and has some advantages over the Glock 44, as well as the M&P Compact 22 (which I also have). I also like it better than my AA Glock Conversion kit. For it's class of gun, it's a front runner IMO.

And, I wouldn't even say that the TX22 and the MKII are really in the same class/purpose of gun, so wouldn't expect either one to replace the other honestly.
    It's just that the MKII is the only .22 pistol I own. That was why I mentioned it. I also shot the M&P model as I was thinking of buying one to match my 9 mm version for training. But I preferred the TX over the M&P. And in the end, as usual, I talked myself out of it. I did the math and it would take awhile to get my ROI based on ammo savings, lol.

I am curious though, what sets a particular firearm into a class/purpose? My wife mostly shoots the MKII as she is not very interested in shooting centerfire cartridges. Plus she likes the dot.

I bought it because I always liked them, they look like a Luger and the M&P, TX and a myriad of others were not out at the time.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's just that the MKII is the only .22 pistol I own. That was why I mentioned it. I also shot the M&P model as I was thinking of buying one to match my 9 mm version for training. But I preferred the TX over the M&P. And in the end, as usual, I talked myself out of it. I did the math and it would take awhile to get my ROI based on ammo savings, lol.

I am curious though, what sets a particular firearm into a class/purpose? My wife mostly shoots the MKII as she is not very interested in shooting centerfire cartridges. Plus she likes the dot.

I bought it because I always liked them, they look like a Luger and the M&P, TX and a myriad of others were not out at the time.
    To me the TX is a trainer gun that mimics a centerfire carry/compact pistol in size, striker fired (which the M&P compact 22 is not), capacity, etc.

The MKII and the follow on Rugers are what I'd consider more of a target shooting gun in that it doesn't really mimic most carry guns, etc. It also has a fixed barrel, etc and I'd expect it to likely be more accurate from a design perspective.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's my rationale. Just as I wouldn't compare a Glock 19 to some other type of gun that might be tuned/designed for bullseye shooting.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

One thing comps do is make the gun louder so shot timers can pick the sound up, (after my last steel challenge match I was ready to chuck a timer down range and shoot it!, I had my best smoke and hope stage ever, and two strings the timer only picked up 4 shots!)

As for recoil reduction I don’t know if they do or not, but I have a few on my competition guns

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To me the TX is a trainer gun that mimics a centerfire carry/compact pistol in size, striker fired (which the M&P compact 22 is not), capacity, etc.

The MKII and the follow on Rugers are what I'd consider more of a target shooting gun in that it doesn't really mimic most carry guns, etc. It also has a fixed barrel, etc and I'd expect it to likely be more accurate from a design perspective.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's my rationale. Just as I wouldn't compare a Glock 19 to some other type of gun that might be tuned/designed for bullseye shooting.
    Yeah, I can see that. I definitely view(and use) the MKII as a target pistol. My wife and I shoot it to see who can drop the plate rack the fastest or we try for tiny groups on paper. It is very accurate. And a little on the heavy side with the bull barrel.

And yes, she holds the record on the plate rack. :( :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One thing comps do is make the gun louder so shot timers can pick the sound up, (after my last steel challenge match I was ready to chuck a timer down range and shoot it!, I had my best smoke and hope stage ever, and two strings the timer only picked up 4 shots!)

As for recoil reduction I don’t know if they do or not, but I have a few on my competition guns
    The Steel Challenge I did last year, my issue was hearing the round hit the steel. There was more than one occasion I took an extra shot because I thought I missed the target.

If I cranked up my ear pro would I be able to hear the steel ringing better?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The Steel Challenge I did last year, my issue was hearing the round hit the steel. There was more than one occasion I took an extra shot because I thought I missed the target.

If I cranked up my ear pro would I be able to hear the steel ringing better?
    Not necessarily! I keep mine pretty high, and on speed option I can barely hear the impact on the stop plate (with my 22) but my center fire guns make a hell of a ding on the plates!

In fact at our match not everyone wants their plates painted, we leave that up to the shooter, but when I ro, I ask for the stop plate to be painted (for rimfires), so I can tell when the plates hit!

As for missing a plate, you shouldn’t know you miss! Aim your gun, pull the trigger and move on to the next plate! If your waiting to see or hear the impact, you’ll never go above “B class” (take it from a b class shooter!), when the ro calls out your time and says “and a miss” that’s when you find out that you missed!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have two old Automags, really would like to get a new one.
    Here's a new one for you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here's a new one for you.

Is that the company that revamped and revived it?

Edit:
    Just watched the video again they are ready to go, they have been having problems getting them made in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not necessarily! I keep mine pretty high, and on speed option I can barely hear the impact on the stop plate (with my 22) but my center fire guns make a hell of a ding on the plates!

In fact at our match not everyone wants their plates painted, we leave that up to the shooter, but when I ro, I ask for the stop plate to be painted (for rimfires), so I can tell when the plates hit!

As for missing a plate, you shouldn’t know you miss! Aim your gun, pull the trigger and move on to the next plate! If your waiting to see or hear the impact, you’ll never go above “B class” (take it from a b class shooter!), when the ro calls out your time and says “and a miss” that’s when you find out that you missed!
    Thanks! I only shot one last year but I'm going to try again this year. They didn't paint the plates between shooters but if I recall they offered to if someone wanted them painted. I won't ask. Seems like it uses valuable time and just consumes more resources the club has to pay for.

I'll work on pulling the trigger and moving on. I'm not sure what B class is but I am sure I'm not classified, lol. Is there a "Z" class? :)

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Did FN announce a new and improved HiPower for 2022 production? If so it will give Springfield Armory a real headache after the introduction of the SA-35.
    I preference this with - this is based on what I've seen come out of SHOT and what I have read thus far. I have not had any personal expense with the Springfield or FN High Power yet...

To me, it appears that FN "redesigned" the High Power while paying homage to the original High Power. While Springfield keep the same John Browning design but added some modern enhancements. The FN's MSRP is $1,300 to $1,400 while Springfield's is $799.

I think they are targeting too different markets.

Top Bottom