• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    AHHHH!!! Just got a call from the gunsmith, my 9mm AK might be done this week!!!! :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

Oh, man, if it is working, it is getting the paperwork done on it first and lop off that fake can!

Now to find out how much it will cost to get it out of hoc...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Thank GOD you forgot about messing with that Kel-Tec. That, IMHO would have been a big waste of a stamp.

Your AR has the capability of being a serious quality self defense tool. I wouldn't trust my life with that Kel-tec.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Techres,
    Not to stir up an old pot, but your post remends me of how sexy these two look

su16D_01.jpg

Those are FACTORY Kel Tec SBR's which is funny that they didn't seem to 'get' the idea of putting a stock on teh PLR. Maybe they figured if they offered the SU16D that there was no reason for what you wanted. I'd love an SBR AR, but something about these lopped of Kel Tecs is just too cool!

Doug K

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nothing cool about spending 500 bucks on a pos then 200 on a stamp and 3 months waiting. I would consider doing this if I was given one and 200 for the stamp. It wouldn't even make a good trunk gun as its totally unreliable to begin with. The fact that there's no metal on it to engrave ruins it. That ought to tell you something. I'd rather have a carbon bushy so when it goes **** up I could salvage half of the parts and sell 'em.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Techres,
    Not to stir up an old pot, but your post remends me of how sexy these two look

su16D_01.jpg

Those are FACTORY Kel Tec SBR's which is funny that they didn't seem to 'get' the idea of putting a stock on teh PLR. Maybe they figured if they offered the SU16D that there was no reason for what you wanted. I'd love an SBR AR, but something about these lopped of Kel Tecs is just too cool!

Doug K

If those still fold, then they are interesting, but still not tax stamp interesting. I finally did do the tax stamp so I can take this:

krink1.jpg

And add this:

AKRBMC.FX.FS.jpg

And for that right the $200 check cleared a few days ago!
    (Why does it feel good to get taken for $200?)

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Oh no! Don't put an ace stock on that rifle! It should have an underfolder to be authentic and if not, put a triangle sidefolder instead. About $175 iirc... Not really a DIY though...

If those still fold, then they are interesting, but still not tax stamp interesting. I finally did do the tax stamp so I can take this:

krink1.jpg

And add this:

AKRBMC.FX.FS.jpg

And for that right the $200 check cleared a few days ago!
    (Why does it feel good to get taken for $200?)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    JosephR have you ever had a Kel Tec? I've known several guys who have had the SU-16's and have been happy with them. I've got two SUB 2K's and have had nothing but good luck with them. Shot thousands of rounds through my first one and it's still going strong. Ask BigCraing and VUPD how it shoots compared to their multi-thousand dollar SBR 9mm AR's.

Nothing like trashing something just because it's not what's on the cover of SWAT magazine.

Doug K

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    No I don't own one and never would. I had to fix one for at a guy at the range. It wouldn't extract worth a crap so I had to disasemble his cheap bolt at the erange and swap out his extractor spring and rubber insert. He couldn't thank me enough. He let me rip off a few rounds afterwards. Not worth 500 to me. I'd rather spend the money on ammo to put through my ar and not worry about jamming all the time. I guess for 500 you can't expect too much.

Nice comment about me only wanting what's on the cover of SWAT. I stay away from that magazine. I've learned its not worth buying crap. I already have a nice AR15. Why would I want that? Just respect my experience and the fact that i'm leaving more kel tecs on the market for you to buy up.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh no! Don't put an ace stock on that rifle! It should have an underfolder to be authentic and if not, put a triangle sidefolder instead. About $175 iirc... Not really a DIY though...

1. I already have an underfolder and hate the ergo of it when folded, will not do that again!
    2. Most triangle folders require either to have the receiver ready for a folder with a retaining clip in the receiver, or having a mechanism sticking out behind the receiver that controls the folding of the triangle stock. I am not going to mod the receiver to add the first, nor will put up with the ugly of the second.
    3. So, if I want a side folder that goes flush to the back of the receiver, and one that is strong enough to work hard, I am left with ACE. If you have a better option, please post a link for me to look at. Seriosly, I would be interested.
    4. I am interested less in traditional look than function. I intentionally went 7.62 rather than 5.45 because I wanted a heavier round coming out of the shorter barrel. I intentionally want a side folder for ergonomics of storage and carry. This leaves me with a bastardized AK that is not a 5.45 krink or a 7.62 krink, but something in between and I am ok with that. Should look something like this:

DSCN3176.jpg

Seriously, if you have a better option, let me know ASAP. Thanks!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    IMHO, use the ACE stock.

Triangle and undefolders SUCK for cheek weld, the ACE is a superior product.

But then again, I am not a purist and think function over aesthitics.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Craig- No offense, but have you ever really shot an AK with a triangle? They are at least 10x more comfortable than a UF, but then again, that's not saying much, is it? ;)

I have to admit, I wanted the triangle over a solid plastic Bulgy stock simply because it "looked the part." BUT I do have to say, then when I first fired took it to the range, I was very impressed. They are actually a lot more comfortable than they look- not as comfortable as an AR with a crane, but they are actually very very nice.

If you think about how thin and "sharp" a standard AK stock is along it's top edge, you'll realize these triangles aren't far off. Then again, of course that ACE will be a little more comfortable than either.

I just think you have to keep in mind that an AK uses more of a "heads up" approach when aiming- that was the thinking when they were designed. They were never meant to have stocks where you could turn your head sideways and rest your cheek comfortably while aiming. It was always intended that the stock just be a place your cheek touched in order to help align the sights.

Yes, that doesn't mean you can't go for a more comfortable stock.

BTW I had a friend with a 5.45 Romy and that ACE stock. I found it no more comfortable to shoot than mine.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am inclined to agree with Craig on this. I have shot all of the aforementioned (even Epsylum's folding Arsenal full stock, talk about comfort!!) and trangles/underfolders plain suck FOR SOME PEOPLE, me included. There are some that will prefer them, no doubt.

I would put it like this:
    full folding stock
    Ace
    cheap folding stuff
    triangle
    underfolder
    AR pistol padded buffertube (long story, guy at work thought it looked cool, welded one on to his AK).

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    AR pistol padded buffertube (long story, guy at work thought it looked cool, welded one on to his AK).

OH MAN! That begs the question of wether an AR pistol buffer magically becomes an AK stock when put on an AK pistol and thereby makes it an SBR.

Fun legal question.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    OH MAN! That begs the question of wether an AR pistol buffer magically becomes an AK stock when put on an AK pistol and thereby makes it an SBR.

Fun legal question.

The guy is sort of a Fudd, I would not want to even begin to question him on it as he would gas on about how his father was a Mooresville cop, and how all cop cars have nitrous, yada yada yada.... (all not true, including the thing about his father...)

He has some horrific weapons that when asked about barrel length, he claimes, I dunno. Needless to say, he doesnt accompany us to any of our shooting adventures after he said he had a new gun that he made "fun"...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    JosephR, yes, I have fired many an AK, it is not my favorite platform.

That being said, the BEST stock is the full folder, I like these the most by far, both aesthetically(sp) and functionally. (IMHO, of course.) After that, ACE products get my nod.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I found the arsenal full folding stocks to feel a little lightweight and cheap but they did feel a tad better than the triangle. Maybe I just resigned myself to liking mine when I ordered it. Either way, I do like it ;)

An AR pistol buffer on an AK does not become a stock. They are too short to be used as stocks. Even a standard receiver extension doesn't even feel right as a stock.

Putting a pistol buffer on an AK says one thing and one thing only to me since there's no spring or buffer for it to house- it's a half assed attempt a sneaking away with a stock. It should definitely cause a little concern with certain people but I'm guessing it's ok, although 200% fugly!

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    An AR pistol buffer on an AK does not become a stock. They are too short to be used as stocks.
    I'd have to say it might be considered a stock, because in reality it may feel short, but it's just as long as a fully collapsed M4 stock. I think the only reason it's acceptable on an AR is because of the fact that it's actually necessary to operate the gun. Just a thought....

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Pistol buffers are longer than standard receiver extensions now? I never knew that. All Pistol bufers I have seen are shorter than stock REs. A collapsed stock is longer than a standard RE and it's very difficult to use a standard stock fully collapsed...

Top Bottom