• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    This weekend is the appleseed and come rain or shine we will be out there. Does anyone have any hints or recommendations for shooting in the rain? Just shoot like normal and clean/oil it really well when your done, are there really any other options?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might try waxing the externals on your firearem and a high grade gun oil on the internals. I recommend Renaissance Wax/Polish, but Blue Coral or other high grade wax will work, just not last as long. RenWax will also protect your leathers.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    102_0732.jpg

The master of shooting in the rain ZOUB!!
    It poured that day it took me several hours to get everything cleaned up after words,
    I just run em as is and clean up afterwords. Maybe not the best way to do it.
    Im sure there are some space age lubes and such that some one will mention soon.

102_0723.jpg

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    This weekend is the appleseed and come rain or shine we will be out there. Does anyone have any hints or recommendations for shooting in the rain? Just shoot like normal and clean/oil it really well when your done, are there really any other options?

Good question! Was wondering the same thing as I sighted in my 10/22's yesterday in the rain. Not very fun, but not that bad, one is a stainless w/ synthetic stock, so no worries, other is blued with wood stock, so I figure I'll oil them up good and try to keep them dry or under cover when not in use. More important I need to keep myself dry or at least warm in the rain!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    HTFU...just sayin' hehe. seriously, the rain may make the wind easier to read. keep yourself dry, clean and oil your rifle when you are finished. try not to let inclement weather bother your day.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Aim small, miss small.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Keep a condom over your muzzle. Always rack your weapon muzzle down if you can. Above all, keep your muzzle out of the mud.:D

Just shoot like normal and clean/oil it really well when your done, are there really any other options?

Other options, yes, don't go out in the rain.:D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Keep a condom over your muzzle. Always rack your weapon muzzle down if you can. Above all, keep your muzzle out of the mud.:D

Other options, yes, don't go out in the rain.:D

Great, so I should tell my wife I'll be gone all weekend and I have to get a box of condoms?! That'll go over well...she'll ask "...and what are the guns for?":dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    clean and dry when you get them home.... rinse some acetone or break cleaner into the trigger mech and other small internals... then use a light gun oil to replace the the oil you just pulled out.... remoil, or ezox for the stocks before shooting in the rain will help shed some water and mud and make cleanup a breeze....

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yeah, I was concerned about the same thing since I am doing the Boone Co. Sheriff's class this weekend. We will be outside for 8 hours shooting this Sunday while it is forecast to be pouring.

I did pick up a Blackhawk holster so I wouldn't have to deal with a wet leather holster.

Top Bottom