• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    As someone who works along / in the road and having one of the traffic guys I've worked with get hit and killed, if people would pay attention and slow down this would be a non issue.
    As long as you drive the posted limit, hang up the phone and pay attention this is a non issue.
    Sorry you (not you) might be inconvenienced, but I'd like to go home and see my wife
    ...and what about all the times we drivers going through all of these work zones when there is NOBODY AROUND doing ANYTHING? Are we supposed to bend over because you guys fail to cover the ORK ZONE and SPEED LIMIT signs when you are not actually THERE and "WORKING"?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You guys crack me up
    Ever done construction? It's always moving. I might not be a mile down the road when you go through, but the truck behind you might be pulling into that zone to unload or start working.
    Maybe there's just 2 of us working in that area and we needed to get more materials.
    Or heaven forbid, we have to use the bathroom, can't s$$t on the side of the road, and if some Karen sees you peeing next to the truck and calls the cops you could be charged with public indecency. And if you're a contractor and she calls whoever you are working for you could be fired.
    There are a million reasons why the zone is set up, and just to **** with you isn't one of them

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You guys crack me up
    Ever done construction? It's always moving. I might not be a mile down the road when you go through, but the truck behind you might be pulling into that zone to unload or start working.
    Maybe there's just 2 of us working in that area and we needed to get more materials.
    Or heaven forbid, we have to use the bathroom, can't s$$t on the side of the road, and if some Karen sees you peeing next to the truck and calls the cops you could be charged with public indecency. And if you're a contractor and she calls whoever you are working for you could be fired.
    There are a million reasons why the zone is set up, and just to **** with you isn't one of them
    And how do the cameras help?

Cause it's already been shown that they don't slow people down

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    So keep bitching until you have a better idea, I have no clue if they will help or not.
    When you worked in the foundry, did you trust your life to anyone who walked in on their first day? Cause basically that's what anyone working on the road does. Could be a drunk, new driver, someone on the phone ... Doesn't matter we are trusting you driving through the work zone not to run the cones and us over.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So keep bitching until you have a better idea, I have no clue if they will help or not.
    When you worked in the foundry, did you trust your life to anyone who walked in on their first day? Cause basically that's what anyone working on the road does. Could be a drunk, new driver, someone on the phone ... Doesn't matter we are trusting you driving through the work zone not to run the cones and us over.
    What about requiring concrete barriers between workers and active traffic lanes? Seems like that would be more effective than cameras.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I complained about safety measures that DID NOT do the job.
    Such as when a boss told me to put fall protection on, even though there was NO tie off point.
    So, I'd fall with my harness and die.

I have the better idea.
    An actual function of government is the police force.
    I don't like taxes.
    But one of the uses of taxes is to hire, pay, educate, equip, and use... the police force.
    Stop handing out money to people that didn't work for it.
    And put an officer there.
    Start pulling over people.
    Fine them.
    Or.. arrest them.
    If they keep driving on a suspended license, confiscate the car, or arrest them.

Putting a camera up, that doesn't slow people down because something has to be done, is very reminiscent of "assault weapons" laws, that won't work, but we have to do something.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He still hasn’t answered that when I asked it earlier this week. We all know there is no answer but it would be nice to at least be intellectually honest and admit it.

Well, I understand his anger.
    Too many dumb a$$es out there.
    And no one doing anything.
    Just shrug.

But that's the problem.
    now there'll be a camera
    and people will shrug.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Well, I understand his anger.
    Too many dumb a$$es out there.
    And no one doing anything.
    Just shrug.

But that's the problem.
    now there'll be a camera
    and people will shrug.
    So you finally did answer. I asked you directly on post 42 on Monday. Figured you were just going to ignore it again.

It’s been proven cameras don’t work. In fact they tend to create more problems, more crashes because people get even more stupid (if that was even possible). What DOES work is active policing in active zones. Also not having 30 miles of “construction” when they are working on 4 bridges over that 30 miles. Some common sense would go a long way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you finally did answer. I asked you directly on post 42 on Monday. Figured you were just going to ignore it again.

It’s been proven cameras don’t work. In fact they tend to create more problems, more crashes because people get even more stupid (if that was even possible). What DOES work is active policing in active zones. Also not having 30 miles of “construction” when they are working on 4 bridges over that 30 miles. Some common sense would go a long way.
    You replied to the wrong post, but red answered in post #102 (that's where his quote came from). Why are you so hard on him? He's not an INDOT employee. He's having to do a job on the side of the road and would like to not be killed. I don't think that's unreasonable. Would you like to be killed on your job? I wouldn't.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    The law is basically 2 parts.

A. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally approaches within 25 feet of a law enforcement officer after the law enforcement officer has ordered the person to stop commits a Class C misdemeanor.

B. Specifies that "emergency incident area" may include an area 25 feet in all directions from the perimeter of an emergency incident area. (Under current law, the area is 150 feet).

The parameters of an emergency incident area and what protocols must be followed in establishing such are already codified. Short answer is a beat cop cannot arbitrarily establish an official "emergency incident area". They can now use the threat of prosecution to maintain a 25' standoff zone around their scene, regardless of whether the scene meets the emergency incident area standard.

I see some people online getting wound around the axle over measuring 24 feet instead of 25 feet. If it was 5 feet, they'd be bitching about measuring 4 feet. If it was a measurement range, they'd be whining that the law was unclear and non specific. Fact of the matter is, you can can easily avoid the whole matter by giving cops room to work.
    I don't see where A requires the cop to be "working", just that he commands you to stop. He could be eating lunch and decides he doesn't want to be bothered by the citizen walking up to him with a complaint or whatever.

So, you walk up to a cop and get 10 feet away from him and he THEN tells you to stop. You are already within the 25 foot zone. He has ordered you to stop, retreating to beyond the 25 foot distance would be disobeying a lawful order. Most people do not have instant reaction times, might take a second and a step or two more to actually stop after being commanded to, is that intentionally approaching after the command? Ask 10 people to estimate how far away 25 feet is and you will get 10 different actual distances. Is it gonna be like high school football where they drop a marker where the cop was standing and grab the tape measure? "Knowingly or intentionally" would imply the person approaching the Cop is the one with the distance estimate that would both trump the cop's estimate and an actual measurement. I see major problems with trying to enforce this and potential for abuse.

So is the kids in bars thing good for the Nudie Bar too?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You replied to the wrong post, but red answered in post #102 (that's where his quote came from). Why are you so hard on him? He's not an INDOT employee. He's having to do a job on the side of the road and would like to not be killed. I don't think that's unreasonable. Would you like to be killed on your job? I wouldn't.
    Absolutely. But cameras aren’t the option. He jumped up everyone’s *** way back there because we apparently don’t care about workers. He’s wrong, the idiots are still going to be idiots and the cameras are not the answer

Top Bottom