• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I wonder how much it costs to install a set of I beams before each bridge like the 11'8 bridge has? Set them not at the height of a semi, but a few feet lower. So since the average trailer height is 13.5' set the beam at 10'. replacing or righting a beam has to be cheaper than fixing a bridge.

Hell, we could probably install beams at all bridges for less than the rebuild cost of one bridge. And I'd bet the locals would happily fund their bridge's beams.
    I bet the farmers would have a fit.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We have a one lane, steel bridge over the Wabash in Battleground, Indiana.

Not the same situation, but it’s shut down due to folks exceeding the weight limit. I wish people would pay atttention.

I believe they are beefing it up for the long term. Not as nice looking as the covered bridges.

View attachment 216162
    I've been over that one. There's one in Monticello as well, never went over it in a vehicle even before they closed it to traffic.

I remember a scary bridge up in Porter Co., one lane over railroad tracks. It wasn't straight it had at least one angle/corner in it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm pretty sure the semi driver in the OP was last seen on Raceway just south of US36 in Avon. About once a month or so, truck drivers try to play chicken with the railroad bridge.

(Spoiler alert: the bridge is undefeated. And Town of Avon/Avon Police Department social media accounts are savage.)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    11foot8 is fantastic. I think they've even done some infrastructure work around that bridge to lower the ground level under it and gave it more clearance. But there are so many utilities and it's such an important/busy railroad, they (the RR) can't afford to not have those tracks open for the 148 months it would take to reconstruct.

I'm thankful that most / all the covered bridges in IN have been closed to vehicular traffic for a long long time now. I'm sure some were open 30 years ago, but that wasn't many. I know the one in Darlington has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1974.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    11foot8 is fantastic. I think they've even done some infrastructure work around that bridge to lower the ground level under it and gave it more clearance. But there are so many utilities and it's such an important/busy railroad, they (the RR) can't afford to not have those tracks open for the 148 months it would take to reconstruct.

I'm thankful that most / all the covered bridges in IN have been closed to vehicular traffic for a long long time now. I'm sure some were open 30 years ago, but that wasn't many. I know the one in Darlington has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1974.
    Yep. Its now known as the "11'8+8" bridge. The railroad figured out it was 8" below the rest of the tracks and spent a week or two raising the deck 8" to make it absolutely level.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I wonder how much it costs to install a set of I beams before each bridge like the 11'8 bridge has? Set them not at the height of a semi, but a few feet lower. So since the average trailer height is 13.5' set the beam at 10'. replacing or righting a beam has to be cheaper than fixing a bridge.

They shouldn't set them lower. Why block even legitimate traffic? The 11'8" bridge seems like it has a good setup. A large beam right before the bridge at the same height of the bridge.

But IMO it still shouldn't be done. It will ruin the look of the historic covered bridge. Better / more obvious height signage before the bridge would be helpful. But in reality, you can't fix stupid. If the semi-truck driver is on the hook for the cost of repair, that's all you can do.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They shouldn't set them lower. Why block even legitimate traffic? The 11'8" bridge seems like it has a good setup. A large beam right before the bridge at the same height of the bridge.

But IMO it still shouldn't be done. It will ruin the look of the historic covered bridge. Better / more obvious height signage before the bridge would be helpful. But in reality, you can't fix stupid. If the semi-truck driver is on the hook for the cost of repair, that's all you can do.
    Put it at the intersection before the bridge

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I'm in Fort Wayne and have seen it more than once with box trucks trying to squeeze under railroad crossing/bridges. Top foot just sheared right off, the guy standing there on the phone trying to figure out what to do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He means like... often weekly. I've personally seen one on the way in(start of shift) and a different one on the way out(end of shift)

I've also heard of a possible hat trick once.
    the best was the roof of a big cat (Caterpillar) get it's roof peeled off.

Top Bottom