• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I believe there is an old quote that goes something like, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to jam your semi in a covered bridge and remove all doubt." Or something like that...
    That's one of my favorites, along with "light travels faster than sound, which is why some people first appear bright, until they open their mouth semi's door and start driving into a bridge."

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    We have a one lane, steel bridge over the Wabash in Battleground, Indiana.

Not the same situation, but it’s shut down due to folks exceeding the weight limit. I wish people would pay atttention.

I believe they are beefing it up for the long term. Not as nice looking as the covered bridges.

View attachment 216162
    Gonna be a long 2 years until it's back open, 2024 they estimate, assuming no delays

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    BT stated it right many divers cannot speak or read English.

I made a wrong turn in Bethlehem, PA no way to turn around. Called the local police they showed up with a trooper. They helped me back out trooper checked my books.

They thanked me for calling them.

I double check GPS with google maps to ensure what route to use. My gut often tells me something is off I stop and figure it out.
    The mill @actaeon277 works at has two routes into it one for less than 12,7 and one for 13,6.
    Seen more than 1 rig peel the top off on that viaduct. Though the low clearance signs look like they were put there when the mill was built in 1909!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    BT stated it right many divers cannot speak or read English.

I made a wrong turn in Bethlehem, PA no way to turn around. Called the local police they showed up with a trooper. They helped me back out trooper checked my books.

They thanked me for calling them.

I double check GPS with google maps to ensure what route to use. My gut often tells me something is off I stop and figure it out.
    The mill @actaeon277 works at has two routes into it one for less than 12,7 and one for 13,6.
    And I have seen this a BUNCH.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are still not that great. The ones our company put in the trucks was notorious for sending drivers down wrong roads. That's how I ended up in the neighborhood, standard small roads, tight corners etc, on the SE corner of the IMS.

Nothing beats trip planning. Yes there are unexpected detours but you still need some common sense.

There are also a huge number of drivers who don't speak or read English. Up in my area, we are swamped with the drivers from Canada coming across through Detroit headed elsewhere in the country. It's a problem.
    I remember you getting shuffled down the tightest streets in the NW side. In your truck that had to be insane.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder how much it costs to install a set of I beams before each bridge like the 11'8 bridge has? Set them not at the height of a semi, but a few feet lower. So since the average trailer height is 13.5' set the beam at 10'. replacing or righting a beam has to be cheaper than fixing a bridge.

Hell, we could probably install beams at all bridges for less than the rebuild cost of one bridge. And I'd bet the locals would happily fund their bridge's beams.

Top Bottom