• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I'm also looking for scope for my 10/22. I currently have a POS 4-12 scope that came with my dad's Remington 700 on it. After the 1st time shooting it I discovered why the scope came with the Remington 700.
    I would like to have a good all around scope, good for plinking 100 yards or so, I would like to be able to use the scope at Appleseed and use it for some squirrel hunting. My budget is low, $125 or less. I have been reading about the Simmons 22 mag and Crossfire II. I already have a good set of rings. Thoughts?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Go with the Vortex Crossfire II. You won't be sorry. I run them on both .22's and AR's and they work great and hold zero.

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would suggest staying w/ the 2-7x simply to stay w/in Vortex's rimfire line which has the 50yd parallax setting. The difference is particularly noticeable when shots get in closer (i.e. 10yd and 25yd shots.)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm also looking for scope for my 10/22. I currently have a POS 4-12 scope that came with my dad's Remington 700 on it. After the 1st time shooting it I discovered why the scope came with the Remington 700.
    I would like to have a good all around scope, good for plinking 100 yards or so, I would like to be able to use the scope at Appleseed and use it for some squirrel hunting. My budget is low, $125 or less. I have been reading about the Simmons 22 mag and Crossfire II. I already have a good set of rings. Thoughts?

The crossfire 2 2-7 rimfire like I just shipped dragon would be a wise choice and light years ahead of the simmons 22mag. The other option would be the version with centerfire parallax and a bdc reticle priced at 129.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Depends on the purpose though right? Either the one you suggested or same but 3-9x40?

It does depend on the purpose, but in this instance I was trying to get him as close to his price range and still have a functional scope. The 3-9x40 version could have been better for his purpose, but at 149 It was 50% over his budget.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What magnification? 2-7 or 3-9 or does will it make much difference keeping in mind that I may be shooting at 25 yards?

For 25 yard shooting you need to focus on parallax setting more than zoom range. The approprite zoom range would be 2-7, but the parallax is the important part. Here is the scope I would go with priced at 119.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I have a Nikon prostaff rimfire on my marlin model 60. It's clear, bright, and can be had for right around $100.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I bought a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 rimfire from Alan at AA Optics for my 10/22 carbine. I mounted it last week and sighted it in yesterday. At 55 yards I am placed 5 of 5 rounds inside a quarter size target. At 75 yards 2 of 5 inside the quarter size target the other 3 were touching the edge of the target. I am very happy! The scope is very clear and returned to zero after I played around. Highly recommend the scope and Alan!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Are Simmons rimfire scopes worth buying? I ask as places near me have them and they have good prices. I have looked through them and all and they seem good but wonder if they are able to hold zero or if the glass yellows with age. Simmons WAS a good name in optics in the past but the dollar was once the standard for world trade. Things change when there is an Obama in the White House.

This is also for a 10//22 and the purpose is for small game and plinking.

who has the Vortex scopes?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Are Simmons rimfire scopes worth buying? I ask as places near me have them and they have good prices. I have looked through them and all and they seem good but wonder if they are able to hold zero or if the glass yellows with age. Simmons WAS a good name in optics in the past but the dollar was once the standard for world trade. Things change when there is an Obama in the White House.

This is also for a 10//22 and the purpose is for small game and plinking.

A buddy of mine has a Simmons on his 10/22 that he got from a good local guy for around $35. I personally think that it is good for a $35 scope but the Vortex is really nice! It is as clear or clearer than my dad's Nikon Prostaff. Granted the Vortex was $119 but I only wanted to buy once. I highly recommend you contacting Alan. He probably can explain the difference better.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I will contact Alan then and have on another scope earlier for a different rifle though that was a while ago and I doubt he remembers.
    I am still saving up for that ne as I am shooting a lot further out with it, like out to 1000 yards plus.
    I can swing a rimfire scope faster than something like that though. Even that will still need to be next month as this one already has my disposable income disposed of already.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I have an old Simmons 22 mag that was fine for squirrel hunting but I honestly don't think today's Simmons scopes are what they used to be. I've used Vortex optics on several guns with great results. However, on my last 10/22 build I topped it with a Nikon Rimfire 3X9X40 with the BDC reticle and it is pretty amazing. Nikon's website offers a free Sure Shot application and by simply selecting your scope, ammo and the yardage that you zero at, it will calculate the distance of each of the BDC circles.

Top Bottom