• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Ok guys, long guns and scopes are new to me. So being a noob in this area, I need some advice on scope mounts/rings. I want to go ahead and say that I'm on a budget and only want to spend 50-75 dollars on mounting. I am mounting a nikon buckmasters 4.5-14x40 scope with a 1 inch tube on a remington 700 sps varmint .223. What do you guys use and what would be some good suggestions to look into?

also, do you guys prefer one piece bases or two piece bases and why/why not? I appreciate the help guys. :ingo:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    look at the warne maxima rings (probably low) or the burris extreame tactical. both work great, are in your price range, just depends on the look your going for. both these mount to a picitany rail so you will need one of those if you dont have one.

i like one piece bases. they are stronger since it moves as one piece with recoil instid of 2 dirrections putting the stress to your scope tube. it also gives you a little more room to play.

what ever you get get somthing picatiny rail it will give you more options in the long run

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Talley Lightweights.

Ring and base all-in-one. As the name implies they are light, they are strong, they don't need lapped, and are 4 screw so they have plenty of tube purchase, and on a 700 they can be flipped any which way to give you 4 ring spacing options.

When I go with separate rings and bases I go with Seekins, and he makes a 1 piece base.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Talley Lightweights.

Ring and base all-in-one. As the name implies they are light, they are strong, they don't need lapped, and are 4 screw so they have plenty of tube purchase, and on a 700 they can be flipped any which way to give you 4 ring spacing options.

When I go with separate rings and bases I go with Seekins, and he makes a 1 piece base.

Thanks for your input. I'll check into them.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    For a .223 700, I like the DNZ Deadnutz ring/mount one piece set. About as rock solid as you can get for the price.
    DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base with 1" Integral Rings Remington 700 Short Action Matte Medium - MidwayUSA

those and the talley's both look nice! i'm kind of liking the all in one piece mount.

so another noob question for you guys, how do i know what height to get? I don't care a whole lot about a certain look or anything like that. I'm assuming for this scope and rifle, low or medium would work?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I did a Leupold 1 piece base and Leupold steel rings for a 30mm tube in your price range.

Amazon.com, of all places, was my friend. Here's something you could do for under $50 all in.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-2-Pc-Base-Matte-50016/dp/B001HN5H20/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306202270&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Leupold Std Rem 700 2-Pc Base Matte 50016: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-High-Rings-Matte-49904/dp/B001HN5H34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306202270&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Leupold Std High Rings Matte 49904: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Talley lows will do it for that scope.

Ring heights are all over the place. One guy's lows are another guy's mediums. Etc. If you have the scope in one hand and the rifle in the other, take two blobs or modeling clay or play-doh or the like, and mount the scope to the rifle as if they were you bases. Get it in a comfortable spot, make sure your bolt handle clears. Leave room for covers if you plan to use them. The thickness of the blobs are the ring & base height you want. Most of the good makers will list them somewhere.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Talley lows will do it for that scope.

Ring heights are all over the place. One guy's lows are another guy's mediums. Etc. If you have the scope in one hand and the rifle in the other, take two blobs or modeling clay or play-doh or the like, and mount the scope to the rifle as if they were you bases. Get it in a comfortable spot, make sure your bolt handle clears. Leave room for covers if you plan to use them. The thickness of the blobs are the ring & base height you want. Most of the good makers will list them somewhere.

thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    those and the talley's both look nice! i'm kind of liking the all in one piece mount.

so another noob question for you guys, how do i know what height to get? I don't care a whole lot about a certain look or anything like that. I'm assuming for this scope and rifle, low or medium would work?

Height will be determined by the bell of your scope and the cheek weld you want. Generally speaking you want your scope as close to the axis of the bore as you can get and still maintain enough distance between the bell and the barrel (how much distance depends on a few factors, but generally 1/4" at a minimum). The next consideration is your natural cheek weld with the stock you have.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    thanks for the advice. Sounds like low will work just fine as long as the bolt clears well. I have some thinking to do the next day or two i suppose.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    IMO the only reason it would be undesirable would be if the eyepiece was too high which can be compesated for by a cheek piece and if the bell is too high off the barrel. With the low rings and a 40mm bell I do not believe that would be the case. With a 223, the range isnt the best but you can still put some shots downrange accurately provided you have the adjustments. That is why I would get a 20 MOA rail, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can not help you base wise, as all the rifles I have bought have already had them installed. I do have the same scope as you, mounted on a Savage Edge .223, using (medium) Burris Signature rings. That's the only rings I use.

Top Bottom