• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    "XXXXX XXXXX Community Schools is operating under a lock down today. The lock down is a precaution due to a threat. All of our buildings are safe and all necessary precautions are taking place. The safest place for your children today is in our school buildings. If you have any questions contact Superintendent Cathy XXXXX at 765-XXX-XXXX."

I got this in an email just now. At this point this is all I know about the lock down but I’m pretty sure I can think of a safer place for my kids than the school.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The safest place for your children today is in our school buildings.

The safest place for my children is with me. Trouble is they have no plan to release the children from a Lock Down to their parents. And since Lock Down sounds so cool on the new broadcast the schools won't come up with any changes.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I wouldn't know a "Tweet" if it pooped on my head.

How do you look up a tweet? :dunno:

Serious, I have no idea.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    "XXXXX XXXXX Community Schools is operating under a lock down today. The lock down is a precaution due to a threat. All of our buildings are safe and all necessary precautions are taking place. The safest place for your children today is in our school buildings. If you have any questions contact Superintendent Cathy XXXXX at 765-XXX-XXXX."

I got this in an email just now. At this point this is all I know about the lock down but I’m pretty sure I can think of a safer place for my kids than the school.

Was this thread meant to be informative in any way? Who is being "protected" by redacting the information? I hope all your children are safe back in Indiana and I certainly hope you find out what's going on.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The safest place for my children is with me. Trouble is they have no plan to release the children from a Lock Down to their parents. And since Lock Down sounds so cool on the new broadcast the schools won't come up with any changes.

In the case of a criminal on the loose in the neighborhood, I'm fine with a school lockdown (which is the only time our school does this). While I personally might have a tiny bit of self-defense training, I still see no reason to pull my kids out in the open while the suspect-on-the-loose may be looking for a car, home, victim, etc. He COULD get in the school but with them on lockdown plus LEO already cruising the neighborhood, it's one of the few times where the cops probably are going to get there before the perp hurts anyone (if he tries to break in the school).

Meanwhile, I have plenty of friends who do want to go get their kids during such an event. In their case, as far as I can tell, it's a purely emotional reaction. They have no training, ability, nor tools to protect themselves. They just wanna go get their babies which means they would actually be in the way and/or expose themselves and their children to harm.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In the case of a criminal on the loose in the neighborhood, I'm fine with a school lockdown (which is the only time our school does this). While I personally might have a tiny bit of self-defense training, I still see no reason to pull my kids out in the open while the suspect-on-the-loose may be looking for a car, home, victim, etc. He COULD get in the school but with them on lockdown plus LEO already cruising the neighborhood, it's one of the few times where the cops probably are going to get there before the perp hurts anyone (if he tries to break in the school).

Meanwhile, I have plenty of friends who do want to go get their kids during such an event. In their case, as far as I can tell, it's a purely emotional reaction. They have no training, ability, nor tools to protect themselves. They just wanna go get their babies which means they would actually be in the way and/or expose themselves and their children to harm.
    We'll now under Indiana law you can atleast sit in the parking lot fully loaded and watch for said bad guy to come up to the school. If your asked to leave just park across the street.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How can a school legally keep a child from being released to their parents?

I don't know if they have authority or not. There are some circumstances where I would insist on getting my kids (ie a threat specifically against schools) but so far our school has made a good choice IMO.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We'll now under Indiana law you can atleast sit in the parking lot fully loaded and watch for said bad guy to come up to the school. If your asked to leave just park across the street.

That's a good point. If someone is willing and able to do that, it seems the intelligent choice: keep your distance if you aren't needed.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The lock down was lifted shortly after noon. I still don’t have any info about what caused it.

Last year a lock down was put into affect after deputy tried to do a traffic stop with a guy that was wanted for murder. Shots were fired and the guy ran. That was about 6 miles from the school.

Top Bottom